New Member From Oregon

jcaff1019

New Member From Oregon

Post by jcaff1019 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:31 am

Hello all,

I've been reading up on this forum for a couple weeks now, and it has really been a treat. I love learning more about gun dogs, and I enjoy all of the detailed stories. It seemed to me, I ought to become a member and get involved in something enjoyable like this.

Anyway, a little about me. I am a 26 year old 5th grade teacher, living with my wife in Salem, Oregon. I grew up going on many outdoor adventures with my dad. My dad would go steelhead fishing just about every other weekend, and I have been dragged along with him on so many hunting/fishing trips, I can't even remember half of them. We have traveled to all parts of Oregon; going pheasant hunting, duck hunting, crabbing, clamming, deer and elk hunting, you name it. I have had so many outdoor opportunities from a five year old onward, that most boys could only dream of doing what I did with their dad.

As a kid growing up, I was never really into it though. My world was consumed by school and sports; baseball in particular. It wasn't until I went to college that I really started to enjoy the outdoors. I know it was a long process in the making, but my dad's hard work to help his son finally develop a passion for hunting/fishing paid off.

I love going out hunting or fishing with my dad now. What used to feel like a chore, now is a great bonding experience. I have a baby on the way (due late August), and I can only dream to be half the father my dad is. I want to give my kid what my dad has given me; cherished memories and a loving companion. Who knows, maybe my future boy/gal will get into hunting/fishing sooner than I did! It is exciting to think about hunting/fishing with my child, and my dad, all at the same time. Talk about a blessing.

Currently, I live in an apartment complex with my wife (my wife and I's first living experience), and we plan on buying a house out in the country this fall. My folks growing up had labs, but Our current complex has a no pet policy. So unfortunately for now, this is the first time in my life without a four legged buddy around. However, I am lined up to get a chessie next year, so I am beyond pumped to get MY first dog. The wife might get a GSP or lab the following year after that, but we'll see what happens there. Either way, I plan on training my dog and I look forward to that experience a great deal. That was the one activity growing up that I really enjoyed with my dad, training our labs to hunt.

I enjoy upland bird hunting more than any other outdoor activity, but I would like to start duck/goose hunting as well. Dock dogs seems like something I'd want to get into as well. Regardless, I'm here to learn more about gun dogs (the best part about the outdoors in my opinion), and read some great stories. Thanks for listening to my rant, and best of luck to everyone's future endeavors with their dogs and loved ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greg jacobs

Re: New Member From Oregon

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:12 pm

Welcome

GSPONPOINT32

New Member From Oregon

Post by GSPONPOINT32 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:33 pm

Lots of great advice here...welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk