Just another new guy here!

Feathers'n'Furr

Just another new guy here!

Post by Feathers'n'Furr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Hey Y'all! My names Mitch and I've been creeping on the forum for quite some time. I'm a 26 year old male from Virginia currently residing in Raleigh, NC. I'm currently an employed as a personal trainer and working towards a bachelors degree in Wildlife Conservation. I have 2 dogs, a 2yo female GSP that I've had since she was 8 weeks names Eiva and a recently rehomed 2.5yo male GWP named Luka. Eiva has been hunted on waterfowl and doves and it starting to be introduced to live birds/upland training, Luka is coming to me from a breeder that's looking to down size. He has already completed his Junior hunt test and from what the owner tells me is quite the hunter. Right now he's just getting used to his new surrounding while I work on his basic obedience and build a bond with him as well as let him know who runs the house. My main interest really for myself and my dogs is solely hunting. My goal is to hopefully get both of my pups trained up to where I can hunt them in a brace or switch them depending on conditions. I'm excited to be a part of the community and look forward to learning a lot from you all!

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Just another new guy here!

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:18 am

Welcome aboard! :D

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 am

welcome here
cc

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 am

welcome to the show

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 am

Welcome.....I am one of the few 'Retriever' guys on this website, so forgive me....

I have three Golden Retrievers that I own specifically for hunting, like you! I used hunt testing as a part of their training in that if they were fully trained and finished for Waterfowl and Upland Game it would be evident in those hunt tests. Hunting testing puts your dog in a 'realistic hunting' simulation, it is not perfect, but close. This is the nearest thing you can do except actually go hunting...and using actual hunting trips to train a dog that is not yet finished, can develop a lot of bad habits.

I have all my dogs trained to a Senior Hunter level which in AKC Retrievers means they are fully trained hunting dogs....In retriever hunt tests, the difference between Junior Hunter and Senior Hunter is great! Typically, it take another year of training to go from the lower level to the next level.

So my point is, you can continue to run hunt tests as part of your training regimen then you will know for sure when the dog is ready to hunt.....

Good Luck