Happy to be here.

MNTrout68

Happy to be here.

Post by MNTrout68 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:14 pm

I am getting back into upland hunting after a very long absence. I used to hunt the fields around our farm with my dad, but a long period of school, moving, job, moving, school, moving, kids, moving, etc has kept me out of the field. I decided to jump back in with both feet, so I bought a GSP pup a year ago. Best decision ever.

He's a great dog, and has responded well to training. We used a great trainer near the Twin Cities, recommended by our breeder. He absolutely loves being in the field; I just hope I don't screw it up!

Outside of bird season, I love to fly fish and spend as much time fishing and tying as I can. (It's never enough.) I also love to cook, and look forward to trying new techniques and recipes. It would be inaccurate to say I took up pheasant hunting again just to get more feathers for fly tying and more meat for the table, but if one hobby can feed the others, who am I to complain?

Timewise65

Re: Happy to be here.

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:34 am

Welcome,
Having a dog trained by a good professional is a good option. Most trainers include a 'train the trainer' opportunity, so that as you go into the field you know exactly how to handle the dog. I used to think that all trainers basically train the same commands, but I have learned that is not true.

If you have not worked your dog with the trainer overseeing how you work together, you should do this. If you have done this already have fun and enjoy the birds, food, and feathers....

Good Luck

NEhomer

Re: Happy to be here.

Post by NEhomer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:41 am

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your beautiful pup.

....biggest trick to training is knowing when to stop!