New Member From Louisiana

Bigsteve113

New Member From Louisiana

Post by Bigsteve113 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Hello !! I am a new member here, but an old bird dog man. I currently have and hunt one German Shorthaired Pointer, “Annie”, and one black Labrador Retriever, “Jazz”. There were several sets of pointers and retrievers before them. My passion is woodcock and duck hunting, but I also avidly hunt quail and doves also.

I was born and raised in Louisiana, and this is where they’ll plant my bones when this world is done with me. I hunt the swamps, marshes, and uplands here, and occasionally hunt quail in Texas. I am a lifelong law man (34 years), nearing retirement. I am a father of 4, grandfather of 5 (so far).

On a typical winter/fall day, when I’m not working, you’ll find me heading out the door at pre dawn with my Lab to a duck hole, back home, clean ducks, nap with my dogs (preferably by the fireplace), Head back out for woodcock with my GSP, and sometimes Lab too, back home, clean woodcock, shower, supper, and spend the rest of the afternoon reading and dozing in the den (again, preferably by the fireplace), with my bird dogs and family. Next morning....repeat !! My hunting partners are many, but frequently are my sons (who are both law men too). Life is good !!!

My personal limit is 2 dogs. Usually a pointer and a retriever. But sometimes I’ll slip a third one in the mix if one is nearing retirement. My dogs sleep by my bedside at night and are an integral part of our family.

I trained my first bird dog at 12 years old, a Lab, and back then it was not uncommon for a 12 year old boy to grab his dog and his shotgun, and head out hunting, sometimes alone even. I have been hooked on bird dogs ever since, and I have buried some great ones over the years.

In my father’s youth down here, wild quail were aplenty, .... not so much now. But woodcock is usually pretty good. Ducks usually good too. Doves can be spotty. But either way, days afield with my dogs are always numerous and rewarding....at least in my book.

My other hobbies/interest include: gun collecting, shooting, handloading, bullet casting, fishing, reading, cooking, and motorcycling....amongst other things.

Thank y’all for adding me to the group ! I look forward to learning some stuff from you guys, and hopefully I can bring something to the table too !!
Last edited by Bigsteve113 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

greg jacobs

Re: New Membet From Louisiana

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Welcome from the hounds and I

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 am

Welcome, If you get up north and want to chase grouse, we have 5 species to chase, look me up.

Bigsteve113

Post by Bigsteve113 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:54 am

fishvik wrote:Welcome, If you get up north and want to chase grouse, we have 5 species to chase, look me up.
I

Thank you very much !! I intend to make a grouse hunting vacation after retirement (3-4 years) up north. And likewise, if you're ever in Louisiana look me up. I love hunting with new partners, from different regions, and hearing how it's done in other places !!