New here

cb750

New here

Post by cb750 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:03 am

Hi there. New here and new to training a hunting dog. Growing up we always had dogs rescues mainly but also a rottie. I did basic obedience classes with them and that was the extent of my knowledge. So earlier this year I took the plunge and bought a Small Munsterlander. Mom is from Iowa Dad is from Germany. We live near London Ontario. There were a lot of factors in choosing the Munsterlander and for us it was the right decision.

I hunt but large game and turkeys. Ive always wanted to do some waterfowl and upland game hunting but its never happened yet. For upland hunting here you are pretty much going to a preserve or an area where there is a release.

My pup is now 9 months and I have found widely varying opinions on how to train them. I started using the NAVHDA green book but have been reading a book by Bob Farris. First time through I was disappointed but dug a bit deeper and have been finding there's more info in it than I first realized. Training is not moving super quick with him for several reasons. Mainly my inconsistent schedule. I really am into tracking. I had him tracking turkey liver drags that were 8 hours old and over varied terrain in the spring. Foolishly I let that slide because I thought he was Progresso g so well I could work on his retrieve.... Well now I took him out and a track he used to just nail like he was on rails gives him some difficulty. Lesson learned. No longer will weeks go by without a track being done.

Another obstacle for me is that I already work two jobs and belong to another club of sorts. I can't travel the hour or so to the nearest NAVHDA chapter not to mention I if I could it would be only 2 or 3 times a year likely. So I am struggling finding places to get him onto birds and get him acclimated to gunfire.

Fortunately I began speaking with a member of this forum on another one. They gave me some great advice.

He is a bit stubnorn at times which I like and dislike for obvious reasons. But man he is a good looker and such a great companion. He loves to verbalize his excitement at seeing you and how much he missed you.

Anyway that's my intro.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: New here

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Welcome! Always great to have another Canadian on here. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cb750

Re: New here

Post by cb750 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Thank you. Glad to be here.