Hello from the 1st State

Fishmongerjoe

Hello from the 1st State

Post by Fishmongerjoe » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi I’m Joe. I’m 41 years old from Lower Delaware. I’ve been a waterfowl hunter off and on for 20 years or so. As you can probably tell by my name, I’m a fishmonger by trade. If you don’t know what is that is, I’m your local butcher, but for fish instead of meat. The gift and the curse of my line of work is seasonality. I get lots of time off in the fall and winter and that allows me to focus a lot of time on my hobbies.

These days I consider sporting clays as my main hobby. Being around shotguns and gunners, you often get invited on hunting trips. One such trip was shooting released bird at a local preserve. We hunted over a pointing lab and it was one of the coolest hunting experiences I’ve had in a long time. Frankly, it’s inspired me to dust off my 6 year old black lab and put her back into service. She is an excellent retriever, fairly adept in the obedience category, and the best family dog i’ve ever had. My goal here is to get her to flush woodcocks 1-2 times a week and a few preserve hunt a year. No field trials in her future just hanging out with me and my daughter in a few years when she’s ready to start hunting. I may add another dog, but that won’t happen until next fall at the earliest. In the mean time I’ll be lurking, reading and asking questions.

mnaj_springer

Re: Hello from the 1st State

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:25 am

Welcome to the forum!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.