Newbie From Long Island/NH

Dtonne85

Post by Dtonne85 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:57 am

New guy here from long island/NH splitting time between the two when I'm off from work. My wife and I are picking up our new Chocolate Lab Puppy this coming Saturday from a good friend of mine and breeder in NH. I have been waiting for a litter from a particular dog in his kennel for a while but her last litter was just bad timing for us at that point. Luckily we are ready and One of her daughters had a nice litter with a good looking stud. I think there was 3 chocolates and 8 Blacks. We are probably taking one of the chocolates but he has one black left he said we may like as well. We will make a final decision Saturday when we go pick them up but I am leaning towards one of the two chocolate males. I will start basic obedience and eventually start simple drills and when my buddy says its time he will be headed back to him for FF and field training. Does anyone train their dog during the weekdays and want to meet up? Also looking for a hunting partner on LI. Since moving back I have not been able to get out much but would love to get back into it and dont mind setting deeks and doing the hard work if someone has an extra spot. I'll post pics of the pups Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mnaj_springer

Re: Newbie From Long Island/NH

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:05 am

Welcome to GDF! Congrats on the new puppy!

If you add your location to your profile it will help you find other locals in future posts.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:25 am

Welcome to the forum, this place is a very good resource for anything hunting dogs. We do have a few members who are very experienced retriever trainers that are usually happy to answer any questions you might have, but for the most part the folks who frequent this forum own and hunt pointing breeds. Another good resource for you to look in to is the retriever training forum.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:36 am

Welcome to the group. What species will you be primarily hunting? Personally I like black Labs and I would do as much of he training of your Lab yourself.

Dtonne85

Post by Dtonne85 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:47 am

fishvik wrote:Welcome to the group. What species will you be primarily hunting? Personally I like black Labs and I would do as much of he training of your Lab yourself.
Ducks primarily. I plan on doing most of the training myself but I have a funky work schedule so I'll have 2 weeks to train then when I'm away my wife will hopefully be able to maintain for 2 weeks. Then hopefully I can come home and do a little more and then she can maintain while I'm away.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:27 am

If you have a good field bred prospect, Evan Graham’s Smart Work + Smart Fetch Series is worth the money if you want a polished waterfowl dog that will handle and hit the water hard. It’s an easy to follow step by step program that will help you keep your training on track with your work schedule. A lot of folks refer to this program for the force fetch process. It’s available at Gundog Supply. Good place for all the gear you need as well. Best of luck.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Dtonne85

Post by Dtonne85 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 am

Garrison wrote:If you have a good field bred prospect, Evan Graham’s Smart Work + Smart Fetch Series is worth the money if you want a polished waterfowl dog that will handle and hit the water hard. It’s an easy to follow step by step program that will help you keep your training on track with your work schedule. A lot of folks refer to this program for the force fetch process. It’s available at Gundog Supply. Good place for all the gear you need as well. Best of luck.

Garrison
I've been looking at it and thinking I'm going to order today!