Back after 12 years!

jbr03

Back after 12 years!

Post by jbr03 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:25 pm

Hello (again),
This is a bit weird posting again… it was a different time last I was on here. I got my first bird dog 15 years ago, an English pointer I named Dixie. I was 23, clueless about life, but I had a great dog. Had access to land and birds and thought it would be a shame if I didn’t teach her to do what was in her blood. Enter gundogforum. I was on this page so much I used to never hear the end of it from my girlfriend at the time. She even used to take pictures of me passed out at the computer after being on the site all night long. BUT, I trained my dog. She wasn’t perfect, but we always had a blast. She of course turned out to be more than just a hunting partner. She was a best friend. Never wanted to get married, never wanted kids, it was always just me and Dixie. Unfortunately, the time came last month to say goodbye to her, and in my time of remembrance, I find myself back here.
Recently met an English setter which I liked. Very chill and a more furry looking version of an EP. Does this breed tend to be more mellow than EPs? I do want another bird dog, less for hunting and more for companionship. LOVED my pointer and all the others I knew, Just looking for any insight on English setters vs pointers. Thank you anyone who read this far!
Brian

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Back after 12 years!

Post by slistoe » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:47 pm

Individual dogs aside, I have found it to be generally true that the setters are a little more touchy feely than the pointers.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:24 pm

I've been around 2 pointers and 3 E setters---the setters that I have been around have been more mellow than the pointers I have been around.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Welcome back! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you in your use of the forum.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett