New from Mass

brokeoff

New from Mass

Post by brokeoff » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:01 pm

I'm on the North Shore of Massachusetts and am looking to get into a bit of bird hunting over the next few years. We just picked up a lab pup and my hope is to train it at a hunting preserve in NH and then be able to take it out to public lands and hunt stocked pheasants. I guess my long term goal would be to take it to Maine and hunt grouse, but to start I'm trying to keep it from peeing in the house and biting my kids.

My wife and I are hoping to get licensed for firearms over the next few months and then we can get started on clays. I'm excited about this because the wife hates my fly fishing passion, and I'm hoping clays/hunting is something we'll be able to do together.

With regard to the pup, I'm just trying to take things really slow. In general sessions are really basic, short, and positive.

fishvik

Re: New from Mass

Post by fishvik » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:07 am

First of all welcome to the group. Remember that a Lab puppy is a mouth on one end and no responsibility on the other end. That explains the mouthing the kids, with those sharp puppy teeth you need to break him of it soon. Housebreaking is tough unless you use a kennel and are willing to get up in the middle of the night. As they get older the Lab tail is a problem, it can clear a coffee table in one wag of it. Thus the saying. Your plan sounds good. I'm an avid fly fisherman too and have three bird dogs, a GSP, GWP X Lab and a GWP. Good Luck.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum :D

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:28 am

Welcome! :D