New member from NV

Bugchucker

New member from NV

Post by Bugchucker » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:46 am

Greetings fellow bird chasers. I live in Northern NV and my passion is chukar hunting. I recently had to put my GSP down and now I'm running a 5 year old English Pointer and Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (rescue). While chukar is my primary interest I also chase quail and grouse, with a few private pheasant hunts a year. Glad to be part of this group.

Phil
"Have patience when they are hard of hearing...it’s the birds' fault."
-Peter Fragiskatls

Garrison

Re: New member from NV

Post by Garrison » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:36 am

Bugchucker wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:46 am
Greetings fellow bird chasers. I live in Northern NV and my passion is chukar hunting. I recently had to put my GSP down and now I'm running a 5 year old English Pointer and Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (rescue). While chukar is my primary interest I also chase quail and grouse, with a few private pheasant hunts a year. Glad to be part of this group.

Phil
Welcome to he forum. What area of Northern Nevada? I spend a lot of time chasing birds in Elko county.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:19 pm

Welcome to the forum. :) Let me know anytime I can help you in your use of the forum.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:51 pm

Welcome to the forum Bugchucker, you'll enjoy this place~

Bugchucker

Post by Bugchucker » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:05 pm

Welcome to he forum. What area of Northern Nevada? I spend a lot of time chasing birds in Elko county.

Garrison
[/quote]

Hi Garrison. I'm in Reno, but hunt upland from Battle Mt. To Gerlach. I hunt Jarbidge for big game and did one snow cock hunt in the Rubies. Beautiful country!
-Peter Fragiskatls

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:16 pm

Welcome! Although I am in the ringneck capitol of the world,I wish I could go hunt some chuckar.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:21 pm

Welcome :D

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. I used to work for the BLM out of Winnemucca and chased alot of devil birds, huns and quail. I'm retired now and living in eastern Idaho, so if you get up this way let me know.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:34 am

Bugchucker wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:05 pm

Garrison
Hi Garrison. I'm in Reno, but hunt upland from Battle Mt. To Gerlach. I hunt Jarbidge for big game and did one snow cock hunt in the Rubies. Beautiful country!
[/quote]

No doubt!
0B09094D-FE3D-4A32-AD32-637422000B99.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:46 pm

Welcome to the forum. :) Beautiful country!
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:09 pm

Indeed. But, uh, what is the derivation of the board name "bugchucker?" Not that I'm being critical. Do you throw bugs around?
">

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:23 pm

I wondered that myself. :)

We've been inundated with army beetles this winter; I've been chucking many around. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Bugchucker

Post by Bugchucker » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:59 am

Steve007 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:09 pm
Indeed. But, uh, what is the derivation of the board name "bugchucker?" Not that I'm being critical. Do you throw bugs around?
">
HAHA, that is what my friends call me as I love to flyfish. They are steelchuckers and I'm a bugchucker...
-Peter Fragiskatls

Bugchucker

Post by Bugchucker » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:23 pm

My pups. 5 year old Pointer (Melvin) and Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (rescue, age unknown, Phoebe). Its like hunting with a Ferrari and a Jeep. Melvin will cover 3 times the ground as Phoebe, but Phoebe is better at finding downed birds. They make a great team. So blessed to be able to work with such fine animals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Peter Fragiskatls

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:11 pm

welcome. My last chukar hunt was up near Orvada when I was 75. Had some health issues after that. Getting another spare part so I may be back at it next year. I enjoy flat land quail at 80. Brittany guy.

Bugchucker

Post by Bugchucker » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:29 am

oldbeek wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:11 pm
welcome. My last chukar hunt was up near Orvada when I was 75. Had some health issues after that. Getting another spare part so I may be back at it next year. I enjoy flat land quail at 80. Brittany guy.
That's fantastic. Good luck. I have 2 "spare parts" myself at 50. Good luck with your surgery and future hunts!
-Peter Fragiskatls

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:32 pm

Have you ever done NSTRA ? Northern Cal-nevada region is having a trial in Vinton, NV on March 19-20. Nstra is designed to replicate bird hunting and to extend your season. Pretty close to Reno. If you have never done it, you should give us a look. Lots of great guys that will make you feel right at home. Bring your dog and shotgun. They may have a spot for you as a bye dog. Nstra.org is our web site for more information.

Bugchucker

Post by Bugchucker » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:43 am

oldbeek wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:32 pm
Have you ever done NSTRA ? Northern Cal-nevada region is having a trial in Vinton, NV on March 19-20. Nstra is designed to replicate bird hunting and to extend your season. Pretty close to Reno. If you have never done it, you should give us a look. Lots of great guys that will make you feel right at home. Bring your dog and shotgun. They may have a spot for you as a bye dog. Nstra.org is our web site for more information.
I've never been, but I'd love to. I'll see if I can make it. Thanks for the info!
-Peter Fragiskatls

Bugchucker

Post by Bugchucker » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:13 am

Bugchucker wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:43 am
oldbeek wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:32 pm
I've never been, but I'd love to. I'll see if I can make it. Thanks for the info!
I'm looking at becoming a member. Which region should I be choosing?
-Peter Fragiskatls

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:50 pm

North and south support each other as much as possible. NCN trials are much closer to Reno than coming down to so cal. There are 3 NCN members that consistently come to so cal trials.I am only 45 miles from so cal permanent grounds. Were you able to navigate the NSTRA.org site? Go to regional to find regions. Find Norcal/nevada region, go to president then dropdown to (more) . There you will see this years trial schedule and locations. That may help with your decision. Last year we had a fellow come in to watch. joined to fill a bye spot. Ran as a paid bye and went home with 2nd place.( green gulches also near Vinton)

Bugchucker

Post by Bugchucker » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:09 pm

oldbeek wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:50 pm
North and south support each other as much as possible. NCN trials are much closer to Reno than coming down to so cal. There are 3 NCN members that consistently come to so cal trials.I am only 45 miles from so cal permanent grounds. Were you able to navigate the NSTRA.org site? Go to regional to find regions. Find Norcal/nevada region, go to president then dropdown to (more) . There you will see this years trial schedule and locations. That may help with your decision. Last year we had a fellow come in to watch. joined to fill a bye spot. Ran as a paid bye and went home with 2nd place.( green gulches also near Vinton)
Thank you. I've sent an ail to the president. Hopefully i can be added.
-Peter Fragiskatls

Firedad

Post by Firedad » Fri May 06, 2022 10:35 pm

I’m also new here and from Reno. Maybe we’ll run into each other. Going to check out NSTRA.org too as I frequent Sierra Valley and would love to join a club

Bugchucker

Post by Bugchucker » Tue May 10, 2022 9:05 pm

Nice. I'll be there this Sunday for 2 braces. Hope to see you there.
-Peter Fragiskatls

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue May 10, 2022 10:05 pm

Good luck at that Nstra trial. My sons GSP came in first out of 24 in the regional eliminations last Saturday, and got to the run off on Sunday to end up first runner up. SC Nstra on face book. My dog decided to hunt lizards and Horney toads during eliminations. Grrr! Tell Mike Smith I sent you. PS: I assume Phoebe is not akc/ukc registered. She still can be used as a unpaid Bye dog in Nstra if needed. You may want to bring her along. Everyone gets to go out and clean up the fields at the end of the day. ( If you have the energy)

Trailgunner

Post by Trailgunner » Thu May 12, 2022 8:34 pm

Welcome! I run pointers on the red legged devils in your backyard and my west desert in Utah.

Rob