Hello from L.I.

The Zephyr

Hello from L.I.

Post by The Zephyr » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:19 pm

Hello all,

I've enjoyed reading the majority of posts on the forum.

I currently reside on Eastern Long Island. I have a string of three GSPs. I have been involved with AKC field events for about ten years.
I also dabbled in NAVHDA for a time as well. Unfortunately the nearest chapter is the better part of three hours away.
However, I will travel for days to put my dogs on wild birds. (nothing makes a dog as honest)

I have worked as a gamekeeper on a private estate, called ducks and geese as a licensed guide but I'm truly happiest working my dogs.

My oldest, Moore Farm Greta SH RDX is the matriarch, resident house mother, my old bagdelena....

She retrieved my first brace of Wood Duck, a double of grouse on one of my birthdays
and has made as many as 125 retrieves in a day on driven shoots. But most of all Greta's strength is her perserverance.
Diagnosed with cancer last summer, she was opened from stem to stern and rebounded.
Last fall she was 1/4 mile out in the bay chasing a crippled black duck and retrieved my first grouse double of the year last week.
Oh, she qualified for her RDX two weeks after surgery.
Quite a survivor.

Her daughter, Moore Farm Anna JH (Annabelle to those who know her)

Anna follows in her mother's shadow. Softer than Greta. She has a great nose, but not the fondness for ducks.
I've trialed Anna. She was a great Derby dog, but she's heavier boned than her mother. Always got stuck backing
in broke dog stakes.

I'm afraid Anna didn't get the attention her mother did.
At that time I was working as a gamekeeper and entertaining the "sports" was my priority.

My newest acquistion is the Zephyr. She's out west with Dennis Brath right now.

And for those who are interested, The Zephyr's pedigree:

Colonel of Belle-Arch
Blue Bayou
Alexandria Von Sniffer
2 x NFC/FC Sanjo Sin City Slicker
FC Wolfsgaeger's Niki V Spee
Kiss Me Kate
NFC/FC Uodibar's Rachel
FC/AFC Bar Lou's Sin City Slick
Hillhaven's Handsome
DC Hillhaven's Hustler
Hillhaven's Mark V's Mandy
DC Hillhaven's Sunshine
Eden's Double Dare
DC Edens Lightning Snapper
Jenny IV
CH. Virginia's Upland Gentleman
KS Zobel Vom Hege-Haus
KS Onyx Vom Hege-Haus
KS Galatea Vom Hege-Haus
CH. Stradivarius Maximilien
DC Hillhaven's Hustler
Can.Ch. Stradivarius Fugue
Wendy Vom Enzstrand
Strad's Cool Chick
Rocky Run's Barney
Rocky Run's Barney Jr.
Cannon Hill's Abigail
Bud's Mistress Greta JH
Popin Jay's Sam
Warwick's Sammys Girl Tasha
Butler's Wish II

The Zephyr
AFC Big Stick Von Handleburg
Red Baron XXXI
Higleys Little Hooker Dot
Garth Von Handleburg
AFC Big Stick Von Handleburg
AFC Belle Von Handleburg
Sis Von Handreburg
Britt's Von Tuck
Kaiser Von Handleburg
Duke Von Handleburg
Little Lady of the Sunset
Megan Von Handleburg
Rerun
Brandy Von Handleburg
AFC Belle Von Handleburg
Saddleup Hustler Von Boomer
KS Zobel Vom Hege-Haus
KS Onyx Vom Hege-Haus
KS Galatea Vom Hege-Haus
Ch. Stradivarius Maximilien
DC Hillhaven's Hustler
Can.Ch. Stradivarius Fugue
Wendy Vom Enzstrand
Mutigerhund's Trinity Vom Max
DC Hillhaven's Hustler
DC Stradivarius Baroque
Wendy Vom Enzstrand
Stradivarius Symphony
KS Engholm's Jucker
KS Holle Vd Stolzen Au
Grandel Vd Stolzen Au

Can anyone help me with the Handleburg line? I'm told it's from the New Mexico / Arizona area.

Thank you

John L.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:18 pm

I used to spend my summers as a kid on the north shore of LI, in Rocky Point. My grandparents lived out there. But the winters were special. because only the yearrounders were there and the sound was so much different at that time of the year. I was back there two summers ago and was amazed at how little the eastern end of the island has changed. I figure you just about have the whole place to yourself after September. I live in Idaho now, and wouldn't trade it, but I still have fond memories of LI, particullarly in the winter.

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:05 pm

Rocky Point, great fishing spot! One of my buddies pulled a 40 pound striper out of the wash up there.
And yes, the winters are special. The people from up-west used to leave on Labor Day but are staying longer and longer.
The good times usually begin now after the pumpkin-pickers and leaf-peepers are gone.

I take advantage of the good things we have. The archery season has started and woodcock opens in two days.
The best hunting areas are privately held, so it's good to know some landowners.
Opening day of duck season I'll be hunting the old irrigation ponds on the farm. Once they freeze up, we move to the bay.

Unfortunately, times have changed and development is pressing from all sides.
When I grew up there were quail in most every woodlot. I can still hear them calling in the standing corn in a few secluded spots.
The South Fork is almost completely built out and now they're eyeing what's left on the North Fork.
One of the places we duck hunt is surrounded by 10,000 sf houses, McMansions as we call them.
Middle of January, hundreds of 'em, all with the heat on 68 and no one home - for months. What a waste.

I spent some time hunting elk near Walsenberg(sp?) Colorado. Loved the area, beautiful vistas of the Sangre de Cristo mountains.
Thinking about relocating to the front range in the near future.

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:00 pm

Welcome to the Gun Dog Forum!!!!!!!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:26 am

Zephyr- Yeah I feel your pain. Most of my family lives back there still and when I go back I'm amazed at the growth and changes in values from when I grew up. I've been in Idaho for almost 40 years and it is amazing how that "MacMansion mentality" has caught on here. Back in the early 80's I was a smokejumper for the US Forest Servive in McCall, ID. We went up there for a hockey camp for my son this summer. The jumper loft is still there, but I don't know how those guys can afford it. A small 2 bedroom starter/fix-ur-upper costs about twice what my 4 bedroom home in IF did. Well take care and have a good season. Tomorrow is the start of waterfowl season and it is the kids pheasant hunt weekend. I'll probably round it off with a little sharptail hunting too.