New from Pennsylvania

Over the Hill

New from Pennsylvania

Post by Over the Hill » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:33 pm

I jumped in and started posting yesterday, and didn't realize I was supposed to introduce myself.

I'm a fifty-eight year old recently retired school teacher from central Pennsylvania with four kids and a wonderful wife. We're both dog lovers and currently have a German Shorthair and two Border Terriers. My wife is still teaching, and kids, our own and others, have been an important part of our lives.

My interests are hunting, (deer, rabbits and birds) gardening and cooking--especially wild game. My wife and I became advisors for a 4-H dairy goat club when our own kids were young, and 12 years later after ours are grown, we're still active with the goat club.

I grew up with hunting and German Shorthairs, and can't remember not having one. Here in PA, pheasant are scarce, and we hunt mostly grouse and woodcock. My current Shorthair, Heidi, is the best bird dog I've ever owned or hunted over, and she'd put a lot of Labs to shame on waterfowl.

She's almost ten years old, and I'll probably be looking for another Shorthair before she gets much older, so it can (hopefully) learn a lot from her. It's going to take a lot of dog to fill her shoes.

I've been reading on various messages off and on for several years, but have never posted before. But I can see already how it could become addictive!

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Jim, Welcome to GDF !!!! :D

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:30 pm

Welcome to the Gun Dog Forum!!!!!!!!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:58 pm

Welcome to GDF!! Get some pictures posted of those dogs when you get some time.

Mav.....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:26 pm

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you posting now. :wink:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:37 pm

Hello Jim, welcome to the forum!! Saw you're from PA too, your dog is closely related to some of mine.......my 9 yr old male is a double Pi (Rugerheims Crow Sun Spirit) grandson. Think you'll like this forum, some great guys on here & a wealth of info.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Welcome aboard from a neighbor to the East!