New from Northern MI

Jake Levi

New from Northern MI

Post by Jake Levi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:47 am

Hi
I'm a newbie here, kind of an ancestor otherwise,

I'm retired in Northern MI, raise some game birds and looking for a dog, open except I dont like docking, so, Lab, Llewelyn, still looking, do upland game birds, could possibly go geese hunting not too far away but I live on edge of Huron Natl Forest have good grouse and pheasant hunting and will be seeing if I can get a couple Quail coveys established near by.

Read a lot of good things here, reviewed the photo gallerys,

its 15 here right now, snow on the ground, and would love to be walking a corn field.

enjoy,

jake

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:30 am

Welcome!

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:31 am

Welcome Jake! I'm an old newbie. Been a member of this forum for several years but never had time to participate until I retired last March. Good luck with your search for a hunting buddy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:49 am

Welcome from another old guy. 5 degrees here and just beautiful out. Awfully hard walking though with a foot of snow on the ground. Enjoy the site and just ask if there is anything you need to know.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:20 am

Welcome. You can't go wrong with a Llewellin. Great for cold country.
big steve

AT2

Post by AT2 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:53 am

I was in the field with my breeder yesterday and he was working with his clients dogs. One of the pointers had a bloody tail, I was glad my Britt has no tail. She was in the thick stuff and came back with a few minor abrasions no bleeding. Just my perspective on docking.

Jake Levi

Post by Jake Levi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks for all the good words, its appreciated.

Re docking, I just cant help but wonder how much better a dogs balance would be with the tail to help? I know that they compensate, but its something not to bother with. I have hunted with Brits in cold weather, other stuff would have froze if they'd been bothered.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:57 pm

Welcome aboard

FWIW I find my Brittanys to have more balance and coordination at a much younger age then my boyfriends setters and pointer

Litter to litter dog to dog
So The tail for a dog doesn't have near the balance that one think it may have they do use it for some body language but unlike the kangaroo which do use their tails or those animals which have a prehensil tails to help then hang or balance in the trees or horses cattleand other long tailed which use their tails to swish flys away

But I understand some people just do not care for how it looks and that is not for someone else to say what you should like or dislike

On Lews Look to highcotton he has some litters planned for spring they sure look like they are all going to be some very nice Lew breedings
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:44 pm

Welcome to the Gun Dog Forum!!!!!!!