New Guy with Questions

Dan Brown

New Guy with Questions

Post by Dan Brown » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:03 am

Hi, my name is Dan Brown, and i have been looking around for a while now, and i can't really make any decisions on what i want, i was just wondering if someone could help me out. I am in College right now, and in about 4 months i am getting a place of my own, so i will be able to have a dog. I have a lot of free time on my hands, and i am more responsible than most of the kids i know, so i would be able to spend quality time playing, and training my dog. The problem is, i do not know what kind of dog i want. I am looking for a dog that is smart and athletic, but i don't want something like a lab,because everyone that i know has one, and i like to be different. I do mostly Duck Hunting, but my dad has always been talking about taking me pheasant hunting in a few years, but i don't know what breed is good for pheasant. To sum it all up, i am looking for a smart energetic dog that can be trained and will be loving and playful

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:56 am

Hi Dan,

Welcome to GDF.

If you mostly duck hunt and have a prospect of doing a little pheasant hunting, get a Lab. Talk to the folks here and make sure you get a good one, there is a lot of trash out there due to the popularity of the Lab as a pet.

The Lab will give you a lot of choices and a lot of opportunities to get into hunting retriever clubs, etc.

If the Lab just doesn't do it for you, you might consider a Boykin.

Best, Greg J.

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:45 pm

Dan

I understand that you want to be different. I would like you to think about this. I had a Wirehair in for training this summer that the owner wanted to be like you and wanted to be different. This dog just did not have it to be a waterfowl dog. It will make a great upland dog. You are bettering your odds of having a good waterfowl dog if you go with a Labrador Retriever over some of the other breeds that are used. A Chesepeake Bay Retriever makes a good waterfowl dog, but they can be difficult to train at times. Golden Retrievers can make decent waterfowl dogs also. Good luck

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:27 am

If you mainly waterfowl hunt then I'd stick with a waterfowl retriever. Lab, Golden, Tollar, Boykin, Chessie, Flat Coated or Curly Coated Retrievers, Portuguese Water Spaniel. Heck, if you could find one that was field bred anymore I'd even look to a Standard Poodle ( GOOD luck with that!:twisted: )

The cross over pheasant dogs are more then likely going to be the Golden, the Chessie, the Tollar and the Lab.

spaniel_man

Post by spaniel_man » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:13 am

A few years ago I was in the same situation as yourself, I ended up deciding on a Working English Cocker Spaniel. Don't let the size of these dogs fool you, they are rip snortin' bird maniacs in the field and laidback, sweet pets in the off season. If the cocker is not your cup of tea, I would look into a springer spaniel. I think both could easily fill your needs.

deacon_22

Post by deacon_22 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:57 pm

If you want a dog that is excellent for ducks and upland, and you want to be different. Look into a Boykin if you can find one. My girl has been an absolute joy ever since I picked her up.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:39 pm

welcome to GDF. i have to second the boykin vote. i have heard some pretty good things about them. but, the best all around duck hunting retriever is the lab. that's what they are bread to do, and is why everyone else you hunt with has them. you just can't beat a lab for waterfowl hunting. however, if you must be different look at a boykin. i know you like to be different, but being different just for the sake of being different often leads to disappointment and trouble. every dogs are bred for a purpose, and a labs purpose is retrieving.