Best looking Horse

subatomicstang

Re: Best looking Horse

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:26 pm

She looks like a pinto of some sort. What is she registered? Most of the WB reg. are just a title, not really a breed of sorts, as you can have a horse that meets the breed standards and is approved as one of "X" breeds, but its not really a dutch or westphalian, etc. Thats like Art Deco and Claim to Fame; they are both pinto warmbloods with several registeries, like Oldenburg, Swedish, Westphalian, Hanno, etc. Shes very cute though!
Randy B

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:32 pm

subatomicstang wrote:She looks like a pinto of some sort. What is she registered? Most of the WB reg. are just a title, not really a breed of sorts, as you can have a horse that meets the breed standards and is approved as one of "X" breeds, but its not really a dutch or westphalian, etc. Thats like Art Deco and Claim to Fame; they are both pinto warmbloods with several registeries, like Oldenburg, Swedish, Westphalian, Hanno, etc. Shes very cute though!
Your first mention won it! She's the only registered Oldenburg in the world with blue eyes. She sure stands out in a crowd in the arena! :wink:

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:55 am

I've already posted one of my 3 horses. This second one is my evil equine--Moonstone's Miss Bess. :twisted: She rules the roost and is boss of the other two horses. She likes to chase dogs. She will unstack my firewood stacks in the timber. If the electric fence is off for a moment, she knows it. If the gate is shut but not latched, she knows it. If the gates open for 1/2 a second, she's out performing her finest show trot on the lawn and completely uncatchable at that point. If I don't tie her short enough, she will try to bite my butt as I'm picking hooves. Once while she was eating hay off the ground, I walked around her rear and she proceeded to give me a light kick to the knee--without even lifting her head from her hay. I have my pond fish in the horse's stock tank for the winter and found one frozen fish stick on the ground yesterday. I suspect Bess had something to do with it. :? I hadn't been bucked off in years, then she broke that streak while I was in the process of getting on bareback. Granted she's only greenbroke, but what really ticked me off is how she went to grazing while I still had watery eyes. She is a mischievous mare. Denise

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm

subatomicstang wrote:She looks like a pinto of some sort. What is she registered? Most of the WB reg. are just a title, not really a breed of sorts, as you can have a horse that meets the breed standards and is approved as one of "X" breeds, but its not really a dutch or westphalian, etc. Thats like Art Deco and Claim to Fame; they are both pinto warmbloods with several registeries, like Oldenburg, Swedish, Westphalian, Hanno, etc. Shes very cute though!
Art Deco is registered Dutch WB (True he has Pinto lines which is where the color comes from) but he is approved to sire: Oldenburg, ISR, Rheinland, Elite American WB, Elite IRC, Oldenburg Verband, PHA, and Canadian WB. I am assuming Art Decos color comes from TB lines like Cieras does. However WB's can only be 1 breed and one parent must be registered the specific breed and the other must be approved by the registry you are wanting to register the foal. So you will often see that an Oldenburg Stallion is approved (Hanovarian, Dutch WB, Holsteiner, etc.) Then you must also get the foal approved before it can be registered. They can be approved to be bred with other WB Breeds and then the foal can be registered either or so to speak so long as one parent is the breed you are wanting to register and the other is approved. Its a German thing, they have been breeding and improving their breeds for decades, so you are right that their breeding is more often then not crossed with other breeds to improve the standards. However the crosses allowed are extremely limited, TB's and Arabians are now quite common TB's for their lighter build, height, and stamina, the Arabian for their stamina and flowing gates. Its really quite interesting if you think about it. With the dogs, we have limited ourselves to specific breed standards that are almost never changing, with Sport horses they seem to keep their finger on the pulse of what todays horses are required to do and ever changing their standards for the improvement of the breed and competition.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:28 pm

wems2371 wrote:I've already posted one of my 3 horses. This second one is my evil equine--Moonstone's Miss Bess. :twisted: She rules the roost and is boss of the other two horses. She likes to chase dogs. She will unstack my firewood stacks in the timber. If the electric fence is off for a moment, she knows it. If the gate is shut but not latched, she knows it. If the gates open for 1/2 a second, she's out performing her finest show trot on the lawn and completely uncatchable at that point. If I don't tie her short enough, she will try to bite my butt as I'm picking hooves. Once while she was eating hay off the ground, I walked around her rear and she proceeded to give me a light kick to the knee--without even lifting her head from her hay. I have my pond fish in the horse's stock tank for the winter and found one frozen fish stick on the ground yesterday. I suspect Bess had something to do with it. :? I hadn't been bucked off in years, then she broke that streak while I was in the process of getting on bareback. Granted she's only greenbroke, but what really ticked me off is how she went to grazing while I still had watery eyes. She is a mischievous mare. Denise
I hear LOVE in every sentence..... She's a beautiful, isn't she?
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:10 pm

I think beauty is the only thing keeping her around! :lol: Actually in a quirky way, I respect her spirit. I've always had very laid back TWHs that were pretty much angels, so Bess keeps me on my toes and scratching my head. I've vowed that if she has filly foal, it will replace her. But odds are I'll keep both. :roll: Denise

TimSchoenborn

Post by TimSchoenborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:29 am

Here is a friends Buckskin I shot a while back. "RSVP Required"

They don't get much better looking than this stallion.........

"Mel" 8)

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Tim great pic! Braid must have taken days to do!

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:58 pm

I've never owned a horse before, so this might sound like a stupid question, but how do they do braids like that on a horse? Does he really hold still? How long does something like that take?
Just Curious...
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

TimSchoenborn

Post by TimSchoenborn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:01 pm

jakemaster wrote:Tim great pic! Braid must have taken days to do!
Thank you

Some of the girls at the farms can band a mane like that in about 30 minutes. You have to remember horses like this are not turned out to often so they stay rather clean from the start. He is an exceptional Buckskin though.

His color is pretty amazing........

Tim :)

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:43 pm

Denise, Your Miss Bess looks like a painting. BEAUTIFUL. At least she's got good looks to keep her around :D
Last edited by rockllews on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:48 pm

Subatomic- Layla sounds like a great find. My horse Orion is an OTTB too. Of course, he's not nearly as well-conditioned or trained as your mare....

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:04 pm

I thought I'd post a few more for fun.

This is Doc, my stud:

one of the babes:

And one more baby:

Tiny, my girlfriends gelding:

Gunner, a project horse of ours:

TimSchoenborn

Post by TimSchoenborn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Here is one with about a 20 second mane job :D

Actually a Poco bred working cowhorse stallion.

Handsome devil

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:07 am

rockllews wrote:Subatomic- Layla sounds like a great find. My horse Orion is an OTTB too. Of course, he's not nearly as well-conditioned or trained as your mare....

Layla's owner here. subatomic is my husband and I finally got my own SN on here. Thanks! She is my heart horse. I wouldnt trade her for the world. Now if I could just get her in foal... it is 2009 and the 3rd year of trying.
*!~Shantel~!*

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:39 am

Layla's owner here. subatomic is my husband and I finally got my own SN on here. Thanks! She is my heart horse. I wouldnt trade her for the world. Now if I could just get her in foal... it is 2009 and the 3rd year of trying.
I'm with ya on getting a foal. I bought Bess (2.5 yrs old) in 2005, with the intent of breeding her to a section A Welsh Nationals Champion that my mom fell into ownership of. With that intention, I still do not have a foal. I did however get a SURPRISE :roll: in April 2006, when my husband and I came home from work to discover at a glance what looked like a lab running out with my horses. In closer inspection, I had an unplanned filly foal. Evidently the seller wasn't smart enough to know that a two year colt could could breed mares, and therefore never thought to tell me that she previously had all her horses and ponies in one field. So I called her up and asked her what she had for a buckskin stallion. Needless to say, she had two unplanned foals that year also. The foal was a blast to have around and we named her Badger's Butterfly Moon. She didn't have spot-on conformation, but considering the photos I was later emailed of the "stud"--I think my mare did a pretty good job of compensating in the mating. Let's put it this way, I immediately deleted his photos! :lol: Butterfly has grown up and filled out. She found a home with a young girl, just 20 minutes from me...and we're both tickled pink.

I couldn't get Bess rebred with a foal at her side in 2006, although we tried. In 2007 we succeeded, but this past year we came out early one morning to find a deceased stud colt. I figure I'm about due for some good luck on this one, and hopefully have Bess rebred for 2009. Third time's a charm, right? :mrgreen: Denise

Butterfly

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:17 pm

SO CUTE!

I am so sorry about losing the baby! I would think that would be way worse than not even getting in foal. This is the guy I am thinking of trying IF I can sell my breeding to the previous stallion. http://www.juanvaldezcar.com/
*!~Shantel~!*

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Shantel- You are fortunate to be able to even consider breeding to stallion like that guy. "Beautiful" just doesn't do him justice. How I'd love to own a horse that looked like that.... But then again, there's plenty of horses on this thread that I'd be proud to own. :D I'd love to see photos of the foal if you are still around GDF then. Chelsea

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:47 am

those are some great looking horses. makes me want one for myself!! i especially like bdk's stoney. very sharp

ShoGunGSP09

Post by ShoGunGSP09 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:48 pm

TimSchoenborn wrote:Here is one with about a 20 second mane job :D

Actually a Poco bred working cowhorse stallion.

Handsome devil

WOW what a great looking boy!!! I will have to up load a pic of mine but they are nothing special. Just Great buddies!!!
Deer hunting rules "If its Brown its Down"
GSP rules "Take The Time It Takes So It Takes Less Time"

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:10 pm

I havent been on in a while. Life has been quite busy.

But I did buy a new horse and had to share. He just turned 2 on the 13th and hes already 16.1. He is a German bred Oldenburg. His registered name is "Revolver" (which my hubby loves) and his barn name is "Rex". Hes my future dressage horse but still had to share.

This was his first night back in March. He had over 12 hours on a trailer as he came from PA.

Big mover

*!~Shantel~!*

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:39 pm

That is a nice looking horse... if he is already 16.1 what do you think he will finish at?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:59 pm

Here's our newest addition...a 10 yr old 15.3hh TWH named Quinn.

ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Quinn is so cute! My boarders horse is a SSH who is black and white but he doesnt gait. I love their minds though. So laid back.

I am hoping Rex will AT LEAST hit a FULL 16.2 and hopefully closer to 16.3-17h. Right now he is in the "growing sideways" stage. Hopefully he will keep going up. His dam is 17h TB but very big boned and his sire is 16.1 Oldenburg but very thick. He will probably be a very late bloomer and wont stop growing until hes around 5-6.
*!~Shantel~!*

tthaden

Post by tthaden » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:15 pm

lets try this one on for looks

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2009 GSPCA NATIONAL ALL AGE CHAMPION
2009 GSPCA Open All Age Dog Of The Year
3 1/2 years Old
OFA... GOOD

http://www.onpointkennelsgsp.com

NFC FC On Points Son Of The Max http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2452

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Here are "Curly", my using horse, and "Ladybug" my son's pony after we got back to camp from our first overnight horse camping trip. Image
My son is two months shy of 3 1/2 in the pic, both horses are 6. Curly is a cutting horse that didn't quite make it. He seems wild as can be to anyone who doesn't know him so nobody ever asks to borrow him :D (though I can and do use him for any and everything) and a grandson of Playboys Remedy (by Freckles Playboy) and out of a Dry Doc mare. He'd stick his head through fence while standing in knee deep grass, so I usually roach his mane every few months, but it is curly (somewhat freakishly) when grown out, hence his name. I have no idea what Ladybug is, but she's a good little pony for my son and the best $500 I've ever spent. She'll jump like a pro with my niece (who is 10) in addition to trail riding and I've also been training her to lay down for my son to be able to get on by himself. He's now a couple months shy of 4 and rides her all over the arena by himself. He can even get her to do the trail obstacles like crossing a tarp on the ground, crossing the bridge, walking over the jump, and riding through cones and such. He can't yet get her to go faster than a trot, which suites me just fine.

If any of you know ponies, I'd sure be curious to know what breeds she may be made of. Size wise, she's in between a Shetland and a Welsh, but built fairly sturdy like a Shetland, just with a completely different type of head. To my eye, her head is more like a horse's than a pony's so maybe she's half horse and half shetland, but I sure don't know beans about pony breeds. Any thoughts????
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:01 pm

When I saw your pic of ladybug, it brought back memories. I have a childhood photo on my desk, that I've been meaning to scan and start a thread, along the lines of "your first horse". Anyway, my pony could be a doppleganger to yours and we were told she was half welsh. She was around 13 HH, if I remember right, and sounds a lot like your pony. She was a wonderful babysitter, although I never knew it. :wink:

As an edit, here's the photo of Pokey and myself (6 or 7 yrs old) at our first horse show.