Hay on Hayrack question?

daddyfid

Hay on Hayrack question?

Post by daddyfid » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:48 am

How many bales high can you stack hay ontop of a horse trailer? My trailer is a featherlite that is normal height with a hay rack.

Thanks

Brittguy

Re: Hay on Hayrack question?

Post by Brittguy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:17 am

Make sure your height from ground to top is not over 13'6" . That is federal highway limit. Over that height you would be breaking law in all states. Not be allowed on turnpikes and if stopped they would make you comply .

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:00 am

Not to mention you are going to scrape them off as you go under over-passes. If you are traveling very far you may find that your fuel mileage goes down to make it cheaper to buy hay after you get to your destination. Lot of drag unless the hay rack is built properly, few are.

There is a reason almost all serious field trialers take the dividers out and store hay in the front horse area. I have seen 20 bales of hay and 6 horses in a 4 horse trailer. I wouldn't do it, but I have seen it.

Neil

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:55 pm

daddyfid wrote:How many bales high can you stack hay ontop of a horse trailer? My trailer is a featherlite that is normal height with a hay rack.

Thanks
My Featherlite hay rack is a double thickness roof, with the rack around above that. So I never double stack, the weight would be too much for the roof. I get 10 small squares up there. Would never want more than that.
Dan