Prtective Gear

Neil
GDF Junkie

Prtective Gear

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:56 am

On Keith's wreck there was some talk about how ineffective ridding helmets are, here is one of the rodeo gear sites that offers helmets that give a bit more protection, and some nice vests.

http://www.usrodeosupply.com/Shop-Rodeo-Gear

I think Doug gave the site info for the more effective inflatable vests.

More of us should protect ourselves, there was a time when some did not use seat belts,

Neil

daniel77

Re: Prtective Gear

Post by daniel77 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:48 am

When I was much younger and still bullet proof, I rode bulls. Can't speak to the helmets, but I can absolutely attest to the vests working well. I got mauled quite badly one night and stepped on by that rascal for about 7 hours, or so it seemed, front side first, and then he flipped me and started to work on the back. I didn't even have a bruise under that vest, and I sure can't say that for the parts of me that weren't protected. Not too sure about the inflatable ones, but each to his own.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:08 am

I looked at those type vests before I bought mine deciding to go with the one that was designed mainly for one big hit then rolling along the ground to a stop. Mine also has ballistic material pad that goes over your spine and I occasionally wear the front chest plate protector as well both of which are designed to disperse energy if a hoof came down on 'em or you landed on a rock or something - those two items offer protection like a traditional rough stock or eventing riding vest without "blowing yourself up" with the CO2 cartridge. :lol: It's a crazy deal but I'm a believer after having the thing work. I think either type would be a good choice - obviously for our game we have to consider we'll be wearing it for several hours vs. 8 seconds. :wink:

Honestly my fall last year I don't think a vest was going to help me. I really had a pretty simple fall off the horse (just boogered right out from under me while I was asleep at the wheel) but my off side foot hung long enough before my boot pulled off that I picked up some speed bouncing along and sort of just got piledrived right hip/buttock first into the ground and "accordioned" my chest like I was squished top to bottom instead of taking any direct blows. Just bad luck or I'd have bounced up and been back in the saddle paying better attention. :lol:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:55 am

DGFavor wrote:- obviously for our game we have to consider we'll be wearing it for several hours vs. 8 seconds. :wink:
From my limited testing of the rodeo vests, I think they will be fine in late fall to early spring, but they are really warm. They afford full range of motion, not binding at all. It is probably just me, but most of my wrecks have resulted in cracked ribs and separation of the floating ribs, I think those vests would help.

As an aside, I don't know how our cops and soldiers can stand to wear body armor in the heat they do, it is even heavier and warmer.

What I more concerned about are the puny helmets, they offer very little protection. Even the bike helmets are better,

Neil

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:19 am

Well, if those rodeo vests are like the vest I wore in uniform then it wouldn't be a bad deal. You'll need to shower every day but other than that - they are not terribly uncomfortable - and it beats the alternative.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:23 am

Neil wrote:
DGFavor wrote:- obviously for our game we have to consider we'll be wearing it for several hours vs. 8 seconds. :wink:
As an aside, I don't know how our cops and soldiers can stand to wear body armor in the heat they do, it is even heavier and warmer.

Neil
I will tell you how, Cuz they are tough! not like those pansy walking horse guys from IDAHO! What do you want a seat belt and turn signals on those things? :? :mrgreen: And Wa Chukar, I agree the combat gear I was issued wasnt a joy to wear in the humidity of Panama or the dry arid heat of the Middle East but it was "bleep" sure better than not wearing it!
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...