Gaited Mules for Field trialling

Wa Chukar Hunter

Gaited Mules for Field trialling

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Has anyone had experience with gaited mules for field trialling? Pros and Cons appreciated.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Gaited Mules for Field trialling

Post by shags » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Yeah.
When they decide enough is enough, you're taking shank's mare back to camp :lol:

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Had several gaited mules. It's all in the disposition. A good one will do anything you ask... a bad one will try to kill you at any time :twisted:

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:13 am

So, they are just like horses, just more expensive. :|
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:42 am

I have a friend with gaited mules and once talked to her about how they'd do at field trialing. She told me that they weren't good around dogs that weren't their own. That's about where the conversation ended.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:32 pm

LIfe's too short to fool around with ugly women or a dadgum mule...
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri May 21, 2010 7:24 pm

It is important to note that the great Kit Carson preferred a mule, claimed to have ridden them over 100,000 miles.

There are always 10 or 12 at the National Championship, but most tend to be 17+ hands, and the dogs are never too close to them. I do know they are breeding some that are much smaller, but you may be giving up their greatest strength, endurance.

As said, gaited ones are very expensive and big, I don't see them catching on.

Neil

P.S. My Great Grandfather was breeding jacks to MFT's in the 1920's, so we always had a few nicely gaited ones around, but I rode the horses.

N

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Mon May 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Coon,Hog,and Mountain lion hunters ride them with their dogs and a lot more commotion so I would think they could
handle bird dogs. I sure horses that are not raised around dogs would have problems with dogs.
I believe there was a all age trialer from Kansas who was a Doctor who's last name was West or Lee that rode mules.

There's a old man at a state wma about 70 miles from here that hunts on a mule he needs a stool or stump to mount
so he rides into the point flushes the birds and shoots from the saddle his dogs then retrieve the birds and stand on there
back feet with front feet against the mule so he can take the bird.

Maybe we should ask this guy (http://www.mulemanharsha.com/index.htm)

Horse people say mules are crazy. Mule people say horses are crazy. Some say there both crazy.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed May 26, 2010 8:25 am

As a young kid I did a lot of coon hunting with my uncles and I have seen many a coon hunters turn dogs loose head out with a mule and a burlap bag, and can say I never saw a mule get nasty with a dog, not saying it does'nt happen by any means. I remember quite the opposite, seems to me them mules knew where to go better than any man when they heard the dawgs a baying and a choppin...And alot of stamina, heck guys would ride em through creeks, mud, they seemed to work very well for them.
Not sure if they still do it or not but I remember going to a mule jumping contest as well I believe down in Missouri somewhere, can't remember if it was put on by the mule guys or the coon dog guys.....but it was fun to watch.

Red, do you do much Mule training along with all them TWH, and MFT you get in? I know your somewhere close to Shelbyville, but I'm gonna guess you don't see to many mules at the Celebration do ya..... :lol: :lol:

LVRGSP

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:27 pm

My other post on this thread was tongue in cheek, but on a more serious note, of course mules could do field trials.

Whether horse or mule, it is very important, IMO at least, that you take time and specifically work on getting your equine partner broke to dogs. I've darn sure known a few horses that HATED a dog and would do their level best to kill any dog they could. In my experience, the ones who don't do well with dogs have usually been harassed by dogs regularly, so bear in mind that the dogs need to be broke to horses/mules as well. This is no different in the case of dog or horse, than making sure you go about things so as not to have a gun shy dog. Go about things so as not to have a dog shy mule/horse. Bottom line, whatever you choose to ride, it is your duty to get that animal used to and comfortable with the dogs, no matter how long the ears may be. :mrgreen:
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed May 26, 2010 7:22 pm

come on now Chip there isnt any mules in ol KY :P :P shoot man Shelbyville has a gaited mule celebration next month.I like a good mule but hate dealing with breaking em ,takes forever.Jill have them pups yet ?

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Wed May 26, 2010 7:31 pm

tn red wrote:I like a good mule but hate dealing with breaking em ,takes forever.
I couldn't agree more with you. A man could break 6 good colts in the time it'd take to break 1 mule. And you'd have to watch your P's and Q's a lot more dealing with the mule to boot. They get offended very easily and your day won't be too good after they get that way.

Another thought to consider, mules are generally slow. I've not dealt with any gaited mules, and maybe they've got a bit more go to them, but the stock horse crossed mules don't do anything very fast.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:35 pm

The best bird hunting ride I ever owned was a little gaited mule. He was as bullet proof as any horse and smarter than most. He would jump a fence if you got off and put your hunting coat over the top strand. He was sure footed and had more bottom than any horse I ever owned.

If you think horses are smarter than mules just leave the crib door open and see which one founders from over eating..

Dog_River

Post by Dog_River » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:57 pm

LOTS of old school mule ignorance here that's for sure. Mule's have come a long way. People finally figured out you have to breed quality mares. Yes mules are not for everyone, you have to be smarter than them and treat them with respect. If you do they are easier to train than horses in the long run. I have owned them for 30 years