Tick Prevention

Vman

Tick Prevention

Post by Vman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 am

I am new to this horse stuff and need advice on a good Tick Preventive for my horse. I am currently using a spray that says it works on ticks,flys and knats. Is this OK or should I be using something different?

Thanks
Lee

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Tick Prevention

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:43 am

Lee -

A decent quality horse spray is about all I have ever used. Seems to have worked fine over the last 10-12 years. There are a few formulas out there that say they will last 14 - 21 days(Endure, Absorbine Ultra, etc.) but I have never seen anything last much past 10 days between applications if it gets rained on. The flies will tell you when the spray has washed off. When it is muggy and rainy, the only thing I have found that will stay on the horse is Warpaint, which is a stick type applicator, like deodorant. The waxy formula stays on even in the rain. It is kinda pricey but it does hang in there when other insecticides give up and wash away.

I do occasionally spray the inside roof and eave areas of the turnout sheds, for wasps, bees, flies and such. I keep the spray up high so there is less chance the horses will lick it and more chance that it will knock down the flying insects. Snce it is on the inside, it does not wash away and it will last a long time.

I highly recommend that you get the spring shots for your horse which are appropriate for your area. All the flying insect protection in the world won't cure a horse that has been infected with any of the various forms of Encephalitis or West Nile or any of the other insect vector diseases. Compared to the cost associated with dealing with any of these diseases, the cost of the shots is chump change.

RayG

Vman

Re: Tick Prevention

Post by Vman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 am

Thanks Ray, as always you give good advice. :D