Opinions on saddle

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Opinions on saddle

Post by ACooper » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:48 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANADIAN-STYLE-TROO ... 255b56049c

I am going to be looking for another gaited horse or two come spring (my old TWH died a few years back) and am just starting to look at saddles, I have a cheapo western saddle that i have used for 8-9 years and it is okay, but it isnt very comfortable. I was looking for troopers on ebay and there is a used Heskett and a couple of used Tuckers, but any opinions on the link I posted?

tn red

Re: Opinions on saddle

Post by tn red » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Tucker makes a great saddle .If it has the same cut & quality as the Tucker you cant beat price.Only bad thing i would want to set it before it bought it .But if its the same as a Tucker should work. I really like mine just can't get away from using my ol western saddle for hunting .

midnightrun

Post by midnightrun » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:36 pm

I wouldn't buy a knock-off trooper from eBay...EVER. I have heard horror stories about them...broken trees, metal pommel/cantle breaking...a real nightmare.

If its a Trooper you want, I would stick with the trustworthy brands...Tarpin Hill/Heskett, Tucker or Haggis. I've never ridden an M&W, but they appear to be another good option. Make sure you pay attention to seat size...the different brands fit differently because of padding and seat design. You should be able to score a good used trooper in the $500-600 range (maybe a little less for Tarpin Hill or a little more for Tucker/Haggis).

I have owned all but the M&W. I prefer the Tarpin Hill the most (I have two, and a Bob Marshall treeless)....Haggis second. The Haggis is probably the best built of the the three, with excellent craftmanship...but its a heavy saddle and you sit up higher than in the Tarpin HIll and Tucker. I felt too "suspended" in it. Tuckers have never felt comfy to me...and I have ridden a handful. Used Tarpin HIlls sometimes need the seat restrung if you find yourself sitting on the tree bars.

Perhaps try out a few different models at a trial if you can before making a decision...or buy used. If you dont like the saddle, or it doesnt fit the horse, you can resell it and probably not lose much if anything.

elvisclark54

Post by elvisclark54 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:06 am

The Heskett advertised on e-bay would be a good buy @ 525.

High Roll-N-Angel

Post by High Roll-N-Angel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:54 am

JMO...when you go from a western to a trooper it feels like you're riding with a wedgie all the time.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:11 am

High Roll-N-Angel wrote:JMO...when you go from a western to a trooper it feels like you're riding with a wedgie all the time.
Well that doesn't sound fun at all!

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:30 am

midnightrun wrote:I wouldn't buy a knock-off trooper from eBay...EVER. I have heard horror stories about them...broken trees, metal pommel/cantle breaking...a real nightmare.

If its a Trooper you want, I would stick with the trustworthy brands...Tarpin Hill/Heskett, Tucker or Haggis. I've never ridden an M&W, but they appear to be another good option. Make sure you pay attention to seat size...the different brands fit differently because of padding and seat design. You should be able to score a good used trooper in the $500-600 range (maybe a little less for Tarpin Hill or a little more for Tucker/Haggis).

I have owned all but the M&W. I prefer the Tarpin Hill the most (I have two, and a Bob Marshall treeless)....Haggis second. The Haggis is probably the best built of the the three, with excellent craftmanship...but its a heavy saddle and you sit up higher than in the Tarpin HIll and Tucker. I felt too "suspended" in it. Tuckers have never felt comfy to me...and I have ridden a handful. Used Tarpin HIlls sometimes need the seat restrung if you find yourself sitting on the tree bars.

Perhaps try out a few different models at a trial if you can before making a decision...or buy used. If you dont like the saddle, or it doesnt fit the horse, you can resell it and probably not lose much if anything.
Mr. Cooper ...please read midnightrun's post carefully...he knows EXACTLY what he is talking about and I confer completely with his assessment of the selection out there. I currently ride a Tarpin Hill Super Duty trooper with the gel seat, though I own about 4 other original troopers in various stages of conversion. I also own a deep seat Association I use to ride colts (and the occasional parade) but 10 miles is about maximum. Forty miles is no problem with the Tarpin Hill. My trialling travelling partner has an M&W he swears by, but I haven't ridden it enough to comment.

There were some knockoff M&W's on Ebay a while back. I'm sorry they're picking on Tucker at the moment.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 pm

I like my Tucker Trooper, but recently bought a Haggis padded trooper and what a difference. Worth every penny...

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:06 am

Above thoughts on knock off aussie and other saddles are right on IMHO- when i got my first TWH about 3-4 yrs ago i thought i needed one and tried three from EBay- all went back- made in some mud hut in Bashieland--i tried my custom made western saddle with a gaited horse breast collar and been very happy since- my wife still uses her Down Under saddle bought for her quater horse 17 yrs ago on her TWH and is very happy- made in NSW it has lasted very well and fits about any horse.Well worth te $1700 tag.

ralange

Post by ralange » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:51 pm

I am not very familiar with the brands mentioned, but from what I can tell from this and other posts maybe an Aussie stock saddle or an endurance saddle would suit your needs. My input is simply that some of the saddle makers I am more familiar with (makers of Eventing, Jumping, Hunters and Dressage saddles) do provide test rides of saddles to ensure proper balance and fit for both you and your mount. If there is a large catalog or distributor of these various makes and models that you are interested in, these businesses may have a similar program. In my experience, test rides are an option on a subset of saddles offered (the higer end models that would be a significant investment).
Old dogs, like old shoes, are comfortable. They might be a bit out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well.

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:02 am

midnightrun wrote:I wouldn't buy a knock-off trooper from eBay...EVER. I have heard horror stories about them...broken trees, metal pommel/cantle breaking...a real nightmare.

Jon's dead on...you get what you pay for! Why are you going to spend several thousand for a nice trail or trial horse but your only willing to spend $400 on a saddle...your butt will hurt and your horses back will as well. Take the time to call Heskett or Tucker or Haggis and you won't be sorry.

As far as the comment about coming from a western and ridding a Trooper feeling like a wedgy...Im not sure how much time that High Roll-N-Angel has in the saddle but Jon and I have a Ton of time in the saddle and I don't think that is the case at all. I've tried endurance and plantation saddles but by far the most comfortable ride is the troopers.
Matt Rogers

Vanguard Vizslas
www.vanguardvizslas.com

SFK

Post by SFK » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:37 pm

I have a brand new Heskett saddle I might part with. I oiled it up but have never used it - it's an extra and since I am not using it now and I have been thinking about selling it since it is just sitting there. PM me if interested.