Training a FT horse

gittrdonebritts

Training a FT horse

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:54 pm

what are some quality s to look for in a horse for field trials or just for ridding while hunting big country ?

tn red

Re: Training a FT horse

Post by tn red » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:23 pm

Tempermant & willingness are the biggest things but nothing beats experience imo.

pkatzel

Post by pkatzel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:54 pm

I look for a horse who seems to learn quick. If he spooks at something and you show him it's ok he should trust you and ignore it. The ones who don't learn can get you hurt.

Paul
Home of 2010 National Gun Dog Champion

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:10 pm

I can't argue with what either of them said. I'll also add that the LAST thing to look for is "pretty" or a special color. When it comes to horses, "pretty is as pretty does". You want a willing partner, doubly so if you are inexperienced. If that partner happens to be ugly as sin, you get the added bonus of nobody asking to borrow him. :mrgreen:

I'm not suggesting that you go out looking for an ugly horse, but many folks won't look at one who isn't gorgeous, even if in every other way, it's the perfect animal for them. A good horse will feel like an old friend, so ride quite a few before you settle on one. Too many folks buy the first one they look at. Calm down the fever, and by all means, get someone more experienced to help you and get their honest opinion. Good Luck.

P.S. Make darn sure you get a vet check from a competent Equine Vet. Not all vets know horses, and you sure don't want to buy a horse that turns out to have some health or lameness issues that you aren't prepared for, or greatly diminishes their usefulness.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:23 pm

I used to rope and ride cutting horses so i know how to handle them, i just wasn't sure on how to pick em I figure on getting a Tennessee walker thats what most of you guys ride right ? how do you get the from headin for the trailer when you shoot ?

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:48 pm

Not a lot different from getting a dog gun broke. Hint: You don't start off shooting from the saddle :twisted:
Another tip, in my experience, a .22 scares them worse than just about anything else. Something about that short sharp crack bothers them worse than a shotgun. Can't say that I've ever had a starter pistol to try on them, but it should be ideal.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:31 pm

daniel77 wrote:Not a lot different from getting a dog gun broke. Hint: You don't start off shooting from the saddle :twisted:
Hahaha i wasn't planning on hunting birds like 'the "Duke" from the saddle reins in my teeth a gun in each hand lol but i had a ropein horse once that could handle dogs barking trucks people yelling screaming but if a gate slammed shut quickly with a good bang we was gone and back to his stall or the trailer.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:54 pm

The vast majority of horses you see at trials are pretty mellow individuals and very tolerant of things like noise, ropes, dogs, other horses, 4 wheelers and such. They have to be or someone is gonna get hurt.

You are correct in your assumption that most field trial horses are Walkers, but some Foxtrotters, Rocky Mountain and Kentucky Mountain horses and a few Paso Finos are also out there. There are even a few standardbreds that have been taught to stay in gait(more or less) and I have seen a part quaterhorse that did a creditable job at walking trials.

I was pretty lucky in that my first horse spent time with a field trial dog trainer and I got back a real, honest to goodness dog horse. My other horse was a trail horse who wanted to please. He picked up what he needed to know over time, with just experience. I can't say I trained him but I did show him what I wanted him to do and gave him plenty of opportunities to practice.

RayG