Therapeutic riding

daniel77

Therapeutic riding

Post by daniel77 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Ya'll can take this as a sappy rant, or whatever, and respond or not, but I just spent an hour on the couch weeping like a baby, watching a PBS program on matching up canine aid companions with people in need. This got me to thinking about therapeutic riding, and a boy named Jake that I had the pleasure to meet over a decade ago. Jake was a doctor's son and was born perfectly normal. I don't know his age when the accident happened, but he was around 8-10, and he drowned. His father found him and was able to revive him, but he'd been without oxygen for too long and was left somewhat severely brain damaged. As I'm thinking about Jake, I'm amazed at how much of him and his story that I can't remember. What I remember as vividly as if it just happened is seeing him light up when he was horseback. I really don't remember exactly what Jake's starting point was, and I'll note, that I was never directly involved in his "sessions", just merely riding a few horses for some people at a local boarding stable while I was a starving college student paying his way through by polishing saddle leather. Those were some great people and this was no formal or accredited program. Just an old lady with a gentle horse who was helping out a boy in need.

Enough backstory, the gist is this, Jake would never lead a normal life, get married, have kids, and all of that. But the change in happiness and confidence that came about in that boy was a "bleep" powerful thing, and I honestly don't know whether Jake or all of us got more out him being with the horses.

As some of you may know from reading my posts, I start horses, and have a couple myself. We've literally had 30+ kids over to ride my son's pony during the 2 1/2 years we've had her (you may be surprised @ how many parents have ponied up as well), and I've always said that if any kid wants to get on a horse, I'll make it happen. I've also thought about someday, when things are just right, and I have the right place to do it, and the right horses and staff to make it work, that I'd again get involved, formally this time, with therapeutic riding. Well this canine helper show gave me just the kick in the butt that I've needed, and I just googled up a local TR club, called their number, and left a message offering to volunteer along with my cell number.

I'm not really sure why I've felt compelled to now write this message in this forum, but I thought maybe someone else might be compelled to do the same, or maybe share a story they may have about a similar program.

Thanks, and please don't think of me as too much of a sap. I'm NOT looking for ataboys either, just needed to vent I guess....
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

tn red

Re: Therapeutic riding

Post by tn red » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Daniel this is a great thing.We do a benifit show every year for http://www.greatstridestherapy.com/ its amazing to see how the kids build confidence & motor skills.I encourge anyone that can vol any hour a week,month whatever you can youll get alot in return.You will have a great time Dan .