Noob trial horse questions.....

jimbo&rooster

Noob trial horse questions.....

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Ok so Im in negotiations for an FT bred pup for the spring and fully intend to run some horseback trials eventually, so I imagine a horse would come in handy. i havnt been on a horse in about 15yrs but my wife and her father raise POAs and APs. So i wont be going into this blind. I notice most of ya'll ride Walkers. is there a reason? my father in law explained to me that the ride is a little better on a gaited horse and figures thats why..... but can any horse that is good around dogs and guns be OK? They just picked up a couple of 2yr olds that they are going to start the breaking process on this spring so i figured I might lay claims to one of them if it would get the job done.
Thanks
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Noob trial horse questions.....

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Yes there is a big reason for the gaited horses they are smoother on the body and can last for longer durations at a slightly faster pace
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:44 pm

I agree they are smoother but never heard they can last longer. Bet the Arabians and Quarter horses we rode all day working cattle would get there feelings hurt. A good cutting horse probably puts out more energy in 30 minutes of work compared to our horses just following a dog does all day.

The smooter ride is the reason people go for the gaited horses as mosy of us don't ride that well for all day like many did years ago.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Ezzy at the pace a gaited horse can go if a quarter horse would try that it would tire them out ...they are not designed for the faster gait thus why they call them Quarter horses they are faster at shorter sprints The arabians many of them are smaller and since they are not to be ridden until they are older they to though built for endurance on flat to sandy surfaces they would be OK but not a great candidate for trials either

Yes to me there is nothing like a nice built Quarter horse but then I was into ranching for many many years and they went through walk and did things methodically where the gaited horse was not the best in cow sense one of the more popular things was crossing the quarter with a gaited horse trying to create a better gaited cow horse...Some came out nice and some came out as conformation wrecks
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:13 pm

When riding in the gallery, you will find that you will always be going into a trot to keep up.You will start out walking then get behind,go into a trot to catch up , start walking , then trot etc.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 pm

If you have access to a walk-trot horse take him to a trial and ride for a full day.
That'll learn ya! :lol:

tn red

Post by tn red » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Life is too short to ride a trotting horse :P :P Just kidding i like to watch a good QH

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:39 pm

jim -

Most folks use Walkers because they are good at the job, there are lots to choose from and they are relatively inexpensive. In reality any gaited horse with a calm temperament would do quite nicely, but some of the gaited horses do tend to get pricey, especially if they have fancy coloration. A friend has a Missouri Foxtrotter that is awesome.

Most Walkers are of a good size(around 15 hands or more), so they can carry a man who has a few extra pounds on him(like me). Some of the smaller gaited horses like the Kentucky Mountain or Paso Fino, might not be so well suited to carrying a 200+ pound rider.

Most Walkers have a calm disposition and, with training and exposure, are not all that upset by dogs running around them, guns going off, ropes being wrapped across their chest and other parts of their bodies(roading dogs), ATV's riding up their butts and similar things that would tend to freak out a less mellow horse.

The gaited horse allows even marginal riders like me to look like they know what they are doing. The gaited horse allows you to concentrate on running your dog because you are not really riding the horse, per se, you are more of a passenger. The good gaited horse takes care of all the horse riding related things. All you really need to do as the rider is to stay in the saddle and point the horse in the right direction.

A fellow who ran a livery type stable told me that his owner bought a couple of Walkers to add to his string of quarter horses. In reasonably short order, he had to sell the Walkers because they were running the quarter horses into the ground on trail rides. A Walker or similar gaited horse can do five to seven MPH, literally for hours at a time if they are in shape. Most non-gaited horses simply cannot do that, no matter what kind of shape they are in.

The clincher is, when you takie your first six or seven hour ride of the season, following dogs on a good smooth gaited horse, you can hop off and not only still walk, you are pretty much fine. With most other types of horses you will probably be a tad stiff and sore.

RayG

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Well guys I appreciate the Input. I guess I was just hoping to be able to grab one of the dozensh horses my wife and her dad are feeding and use it to trial with. I guess ill see what happens with a pup before I get to wound up about looking for a horse.... Dad was right, nothin in life is easy :D haha.
JIm

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:10 pm

Jimbo,

Any horse will work that you feel comfortable riding. There is nothing about a trial that requires a special type of horse. The people who spend all day in the saddle like the smoother ride of a gaited horse but if you are comfortable riding a regular gaited horse go for it. Will save you some moo la.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:41 am

I have a friend who grew up with quarter horses, was comfortable on them, understood their pedigrees, and just refused to get a TWH or other gaited horse as their first field trial horse. I have to tell you her horse is one of the best scouting horses I've seen, and a pretty good handler horse too. She'll go anywhere and she'll do it quietly. They ride year round so she is conditioned well and can be ridden all day. And get this......it's a mare!! These people are extremely horse savvy, and have spent many hours training both of their horses (one quarter horse, and now a new TWH), and the time invested has paid off.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:11 pm

The other reason other than the smooth ride is walking horses do not get muscle sore. This makes them ready to be ridden day after day without giving them a break that most other breeds would need. I know a guy who rides a quarter horse and he sure is sore after a day at a trial.
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:43 pm

Crestonegsp » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:11 pm
The other reason other than the smooth ride is walking horses do not get muscle sore. This makes them ready to be ridden day after day without giving them a break that most other breeds would need. I know a guy who rides a quarter horse and he sure is sore after a day at a trial.
Most likely the horse is sore because he isn't kept in proper condition. It's like the "weekend warrior" football player who only plays every other week on a weekend.

Arabs are made for long distance and long amounts of time riding. I've known quite a few people who use them for endurance rides.

Another breed that I really like is an Appaloosa. The old style not the finer boned recent horses. They are sturdy and have a level head on them. The old style Morgans are also quite nice.

I'm not a huge fan of Walking horses. I find them to be light in the front.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:07 am

Well I Talked to my father in law the other night and he is just starting to break a nice little QH/AP cross and I laid claims to it. WHen I was a kid I had a QH and ive always had a soft spot for them and my dad had a nice AP so, ill let him get this little girl broke and see what happens.... I dont plan to do alot of hunting off of a horse, mostly just ride the fields around the farm and a few trials. I appreciate the input guys.
Jim

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:47 am

Be sure she is comfortable with LOUD cracks of a blank pistol from all around and up close and ground ties

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:53 am

Truth be told, a horse that ground ties is a bonus, but not necessary. Someone is always willing to hold your reins if your scout isn't there to do it. Your horse has to be ok with someone on a strange horse close enough to do that though.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit