Shoe/Boots Question

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Shoe/Boots Question

Post by AHGSP » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:31 pm

My TW's are barefoot for now and I do my own trimming and maintenance, but in the past referred to a Farrier for shoes. Farriers can be difficult to come by here close and I have been toying with the idea of leaving them bare come Trial season, due to this difficulty. However, in searching for some tools and a stand, I came across advertising for glue on shoes and boots for the barefoot horse and got to contemplating.....dangerous, I know.

So here are my questions:
Are shoes essential for Trialing? I think I know this answer, as friends Trial off their horses barefoot and seem to get along just fine.
That said; Why shoe for Trials? I know some will only do fronts and if that is a matter of balance....Well shouldn't a well built horse have good balance bare and without the need for shoes? Why not the rears?
Lastly; Does anyone have experience with glue on shoes and/or boots in place of steel shoes? Thoughts? Opinions? Pro's and Con's? Any recommendations if you do like these options? How are they in the mud?

The problem I have in this area is few horses to keep Farriers busy and those Farriers we do have, tend to go to the bigger Equestrian Farms or head South to Leesburg, VA where money is obviously better. Sooooo, I'm looking for options to keep my horses feet myself.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

JuliaH

Re: Shoe/Boots Question

Post by JuliaH » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:52 am

If your horses have good, tough feet, then you may not need shoes on them. Boots are good if the terrain warrants them but I don't trust glue on shoes. Never have used them, but if I am gonna deal with shoes I want regular shoes done by a good farrier.

The reason for front rather than all around is that the front wear more. The horse carries more weight on the front, so the rear feet don't crack and chip so much anyhow. If you are going to do this yourself just keep the fronts smooth and watch how the wear shows up. Then you will know if you can stay barefoot.

Some horses are tender footed and need shoes, but lots of them can handle being barefoot, just depends on the animal...

Julia
Karl & Julia Heidbrink
Buggytown Bird Dogs
Central Georgia

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:55 am

I think it's more of a function of the terrain that you FT/event on. Our 3 area always barefoot, but that does change if we are going to certain grounds. If we will spend most of the spring locally, where the grounds are sandy to mud....then barefoot. But if we are going to eastern Washington where the ground is basalt and rock...then they get shod.
Dan

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:05 am

Glue on shoes are harder to put on[keep on] than reg kegs,as for as boots go make sure you get a quailty pair that fit or they can cause alot of damage.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:57 am

I rode my horse barefoot for 18 months. He has really nice strong feet, never chipped or broke a hoof BUT wasn't comfortable. Ran me into more trees than I care to admit to trying to get off the horse path/gravel drives. I put front shoes on him, he's been good ever since.

I keep him barefoot summer & winter, do a fair amount of riding in fields and soft terrain in the summer and he's fine.

Boots....tried them. Spent a lot of $$ on them (easyboot bares). He always wound up clipping the fronts with the rears and pulling them off. We keep boots in the trailer for emergencies.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanx Kindly for the info. I do all my own trimming and maintenance, but have no desire to try and shoe myself. That takes skills I don't have and getting a Farrier out here is mission impossible, so I guess I'll see how they do bare for awhile and see if I have any problems before deciding if there is a need to go to shoes. Very few horses nearby and none of the "nearby" Farriers are interested in the trip for 2 horses. They do fine in pasture and soft earth, not overly bothered by gravel in the short doses they experience here, but don't want to find out at the 1st Trial this Fall I need to do something different.
Thanx Again!
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Glue ons suck and I have to use them on a regular basis and hate them and evrything they do to a foot, that said the boots are worse, if you cant or dont want to shoe ur horses just give them a good trim and be sure to remove the flares so they dont get out of control, I recommend using venice turpentine on the soles and frogs to help toughen the soles up this will help with stones etc.if your horse have relatively flat feet it will be a constant battle to keep from stone bruising so there is alot to consider I wish you luck!
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:33 am

I haven't shod my horses in a long time. I ride in some pretty gnarly places. Never had a problem. Feed a good quality grain and get them on decent grass. You can even supplement with a lick tub or granular vitamins. My farrier oves my horses' feet. I love the fact they ride just as smooth or smoother without shoes.

Watch a good barefoot trimmer for gaited horses and ask questions.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

I called around and all the Farriers around here still where boots this time of year. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Haven`t tried the Amish guys yet.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 am

Vman wrote:
I called around and all the Farriers around here still where boots this time of year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have never seen an Amish horse with a boot on. Your wasting your money. I would reccommend shoes on the front, unless you ride on gravel.

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:20 am

Dont think he got IT!! :lol: :lol:
myerstenn wrote:
Vman wrote:

I have never seen an Amish horse with a boot on. Your wasting your money. I would reccommend shoes on the front, unless you ride on gravel.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Funny.

:mrgreen:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

settergal83

Post by settergal83 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:28 pm

My horses are barefoot. I tend to agree with above posts, If the horse has good feet/hooves, then there may not be a need for them. However, if you are riding rocky terrain you may want to shoe just to ensure that the hooves don't crack and split. Shoes in TW alot of the time are weighted to help he horse keep gait. Either way, just do your research. I've never used a glue on shoe...doesn't sound like much fun lol. Good luck.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Bruce -

My guys were shod in the front for several years. Last year I decided to try barefoot with them and it has worked out fine. One of them is not "quite" as smooth in gait, but I am OK with that.

In winter, shoes can be a real PIA because the snow packs up insde them and can make for some interesting rides. The snowpack does howver protect their feet.

In the really cold snowless part of last winter one of my guys got footsore from the hard frozen ground. My farrier suggested painting the soles with Venice turpentine to deaden the pain until the hoof toughened up. He said I could also put a piece of brown paper on the hoof over the turpentine and then brush on some more to give some additional protection. The horse did not need the paper.

I have found that there are only a few field trial venues in my area that are shaley and rocky and in general require shoes. I pretty much avoid those venues now. If the horse tries not to walk on a particular path, I generally remind him that where we go is my choice, not his. That particular discussion always ends with them doing it my way, for a lot longer than is really necessary, so we don't have that discussion much anymore.

As far as getting horses shod, if you find it necessary at some point, you might be able to make arrangements with a farrier and stable to bring your horses there the day the farrier is scheduled. I had my horse at a stable in NJ and the farrier would be there once every two weeks. I would recommend hot shoeing because the fit will be perfect and tight to the foot. Less chance of a shoe getting sucked off in the mud.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:51 pm

Thank you Ray and Q. The Venice Turpentine you both mention; Where would be the best place to get it? Is there a Brand Name for it? I poked around for it at TSC last eve and was going to check Southern States, but if you could point me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

I haven't had any problems, but anything I can do as a preventative is worth the effort to me.
Bruce Shaffer

Mark Twain

Almost Heaven GSP's

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:33 am

Ray, first off snowpacked in the bottom of a shoe does nothing to protect it as a matter of fact I seen many many lame horse just from the sole pressure of having snow packed in them, but this can be avoided with the use of snowball pads or even by spraying the feet with cooking spray but it doesnt last for a long period of time, second I hope you are joking when you say the "shoes get sucked" off in the mud? This is a old wives tale that just does not happen, have you ever tried to pull off a shoe? What generally happens and how this ridiculous saying got started is alot of people after riding thru some boggy mud come out the other side without a shoe, hence thinking it was "sucked" off, what really happens is the horse bogs a little or even just enough to slow his breakover and another foot steps on one of the others catching the shoe and pulls it off, if this ever happens again try to find the shoe and look at it, I guarantee the inside branch of the shoe is bent or "sprung"!

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:18 am

AHGSP wrote:Thank you Ray and Q. The Venice Turpentine you both mention; Where would be the best place to get it? Is there a Brand Name for it? I poked around for it at TSC last eve and was going to check Southern States, but if you could point me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

I haven't had any problems, but anything I can do as a preventative is worth the effort to me.

I think you can get it at most tack shops, Bruce.
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Bruce -

Just noticed your question. Yes Tractor Supply stores should carry it. I checked their website and they carry this brand:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/hor ... z--5107336

If they don't have it in stock, ask them to order it for you.

I get mine at a local Amish tack and harness shop.

Anaconda Pintler -

Point taken. I would agree that a well nailed shoe won't get "sucked off" in mud and that it is mostly likely due to being struck by a hoof and loosened, ulitmately to fall off. However, I have never seen more horses lose shoes than one trial I went to up in Clear Spring, MD. The combination of sucking mud and sharp rocks did in a whole lot of farrier work that weekend including one of mine and my farrier hot shoes and uses clips. I even checked and gave them a tweak with the clincher when was cleaning out the hooves before saddling up, so Iknow wre on real good.

RayG

tn red

Post by tn red » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Try this if tough is what your looking for.
http://www.petdepotonline.com/browse.cf ... 4,658.html
If you like add a few drops of D.M.S.O

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Tn red -

Be careful with DMSO. Dimethyl sulfoxide will pass right through the skin barrier. DMSO by itself is no big deal, but whatever is dissolved in it(and lots of stuff dissoves in DMSO) will transport right through along with it.

I would use neoprene gloves when handling that stuff and if you put it on your horse's hooves or skin in any amount, I would clean the surfaces as well as I could first .

RayG

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Very true.