gaited horses more likely to have foot/hoof problems?

jimbo&rooster

gaited horses more likely to have foot/hoof problems?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:48 am

Ok, about 2months ago, I bought a green (barely) broke gaited mare. Since we have had her she has a split in her hoof. It seems to be mostly a surface crack that stops before the corronet band, I have been treating it with hoof conditioner and it is growing out slowly but surely.

We have several appaloosas and a couple quarter horses, and other than a few odds and ends we have very few hoof problems.

Due to the way they move is it common for gaited horses to have hoof issues?

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Brittguy

Re: gaited horses more likely to have foot/hoof problems?

Post by Brittguy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:05 pm

We had Quarter horses when the kids were in 4H, and I have had many gaited horses for the last 40 years. I have not noticed any difference.

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:11 pm

If you can still find this stuff its the best http://stablemade.com/hproducts/products/reducine.htm other than homemade remidies. Find a farrier that shoes gaited horses also

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:14 am

TN Red:

What is the difference in shoeing a gaited horse than others? How common are problems? I do know the type of shoe on a 3 gaited American Saddle bred shoe is weird. (Step Daughter rides them in show)

Do TWH and MFT have an odd way of moving that puts more stress on the foot?

Thanks,
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 am

My walkers are not trimmed or shod any differently than any other horse in the barn. Regular keg shoes (with clips). My horse is more comfortable with front shoes, but can be ridden without shoes, and spends the winters barefoot. My husband's horse spends the winters with just front shoes, but requires all 4 shoes during the summer & riding season as his feet are softer and tend to crack.

Same pasture, same diet...different genetics.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Rick i like a gaited farrier but thats just me.Some one who knows the gaits & how to make little changes here & there like the angle of the hoof,break over point,if a horse travels wide behind,a little pacey or square they can help & save stress on the limbs.As Karen said every horse is different ,some a diet or supplement change will solve the problem others need to be shod a different way to solve the problem.As far as hoof & leg problems i think walkers have far less stress on the joints & tendons as we have horses well into their 20s still showing & winning on a national level.
If your daughter shows ASB they are some of the best horsemen on problem solving ive ever been around they are true horsemen & women with a wealth of insight on gaits because the train in 5 differnt gaits.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks Red and Karen:

Do color of hooves have and affect on strength or flexiblity of the hoof/

I go watch my step daughter ride but we do not own the horse. Just lease it.

I hope to in the next couple years have a trail and trial horse.

Thanks for the info.
Rick

Rick

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:30 pm

I've heard black hooves are stronger, but that's not been my experience. My horse has 3 white, 1 black foot and all seem the same strength. My husband's horse has 4 black feet and they don't compare to my horse's. Again, I think it really is genetics.
ImageImage

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:11 am

Thanks Karen.
Rick

Rick

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 am

We've never had gated horses but we had Quarter horses. One of the things we did to keep their hoves pliable was to made them walk thru a mud puddle to get to water. We had one that was thin walled and if we didn't keep them pliable, they wouls crack.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

quackaddict

Post by quackaddict » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:52 am

Black feet are tougher(the majority of the time). If your horse is having problems with cracked feet, be sure to put some type of hoof heal or turpentine type product of them regularly. IMO, gaited horses feet have different needs than a QH because of the way they move. If you watch the way they move, there is a big difference b/t a gaited and non gaited horse. I don't believe that they are more prone to feet problems though.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:51 pm

You don't need shoes. Sorry to pee on everyone else's parade. My two have been ridden just about everywhere the last couple fo years and no ill-effects. My mare is just naturally smooth and my gelding is a run-walking machine. Their feet are better for it.

Do your homework.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:You don't need shoes. Sorry to pee on everyone else's parade. My two have been ridden just about everywhere the last couple fo years and no ill-effects. My mare is just naturally smooth and my gelding is a run-walking machine. Their feet are better for it.

Do your homework.

Some horses don't need shoes but if you ride 3 days a week in Nevada it might be a good idea to put some on

tn red

Post by tn red » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:You don't need shoes. Sorry to pee on everyone else's parade. My two have been ridden just about everywhere the last couple fo years and no ill-effects. My mare is just naturally smooth and my gelding is a run-walking machine. Their feet are better for it.

Do your homework.
Takes more than 2 years to do homework.You've just been lucky :lol:

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:07 am

Maybe so, but I've ridden all over the place and shoes just haven't been helpful or needed. Their feet are solid and well cared for.

Like I said, do your homework. If I do need shoes it will only ever be temporary - to fix an issue.

Even my farrier does not believe in shodding horses un-necessarily.

But hey, thats just me and thats just you - so do what is right for your horses.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Report this postReply with quoteRe: gaited horses more likely to have foot/hoof problems?
by Buckeye_V » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:51 pm

You don't need shoes. Sorry to pee on everyone else's parade
Like I said, do your homework.

So tell me about this homework.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:11 am

Why do all horses need shoes on all day every day?

tn red

Post by tn red » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:35 am

They dont never said all horses did,if im only going to use one a few hours a week i see no need in shoes most of the time.I have saw problems from being rode too much bare foot.Im wondering what your insight is that makes you say i need to look into the benifits of not using shoes?

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:59 am

My point is why where them all of the time? No need.

90% of people really don't need shoes. If you feed a good feed, keep them trimmed correctly and check to make sure the feet are good - then go barefoot. My horses have been ridden in the sands of GA, the rocky hills of NE/SD/WY, the rolling hills of West TN, Michigan, rocky PA, hilly and rocky OH, VA, MD, flint hills of MO all with no problems. The very rarely chip, they have never cracked and they have never had sore feet.

I could keep going if you like. Like, how the anatomy of a foot and hoof actually work and a metal plate nailed or hot sealed to it works against that purpose - you know the purpose mother nature intended it for.

My horses have been trimmed and shoed by 5 different ferriers until I settled on one who actually cares about my horses feet and not his shoeing business.

I asked lots and lots and lots of questions and I read lots of material and I TRIED different things until i found what worked for me and my horses. I am just telling Jimbo to do the same. You don't need the shoes.

Justin

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 am

Back to Jimbo's question, we have a TWH gelding with cracks in his front hooves which sound similar to your mare.

Our farrier said that it's from standing in a wet pasture and having his feet expand and contract from the moisture and then the drying process. He has also said that we MUST keep shoes on Quinn's front feet until the cracks grow out or they will be more serious than just surface cracks.

Quinn has been trimmed every 6-8 weeks for the nearly 2 1/2 years we've had him. We've kept shoes on all 4 feet during riding season, and on the fronts in the winter. Because his pasture didn't change until recently, the cracks haven't grown out.

Since moving to a new barn 2 months ago we've received 20 inches of rain (yes, 20 inches in 2 months), so the pasture quality hasn't been a whole lot better than the previous barn, although we hope it improves once we go a few days without rain.

When we purchased Quinn we were warned that he fly stomps so much that, without shoes, his feet crumble. His previous owner was told the same thing, did not heed the warning, and was without a horse for 6 months while his front feet grew back. We can't afford to be without a horse so we keep him shod.

Maybe my horse is part of the 10% that requires shoes.
ImageImage

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:14 am

yup.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:20 am

Why do you shoe him during riding season? For the horse or for you? Just curious.

I undertsnad some horses need recuperative shoe-ing. However, a normal riding horse does not need shod all of the time and most horse horses can get away without any shoes IF their diet and environment are correct.

That is what I am saying. Just do your thing.

Justin

tn red

Post by tn red » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:My point is why where them all of the time? No need.

90% of people really don't need shoes. If you feed a good feed, keep them trimmed correctly and check to make sure the feet are good - then go barefoot. My horses have been ridden in the sands of GA, the rocky hills of NE/SD/WY, the rolling hills of West TN, Michigan, rocky PA, hilly and rocky OH, VA, MD, flint hills of MO all with no problems. The very rarely chip, they have never cracked and they have never had sore feet.

I could keep going if you like. Like, how the anatomy of a foot and hoof actually work and a metal plate nailed or hot sealed to it works against that purpose - you know the purpose mother nature intended it for.

My horses have been trimmed and shoed by 5 different ferriers until I settled on one who actually cares about my horses feet and not his shoeing business.

I asked lots and lots and lots of questions and I read lots of material and I TRIED different things until i found what worked for me and my horses. I am just telling Jimbo to do the same. You don't need the shoes.

Justin
Your right on with the anatomy of the foot thats why i try to protect the coffin bone anyway i can.Mother nature only made the horse we domesticated & changed it over time.All i can tell you is if it works for you do it dont mean it'll work on everyones animal.Id say i've saw alot of differnt ways of doing things but any farrier that tells me 90% of my horses dont need shoes had better not say"well ive never seen that happen before when one abcesses or gravels" .If you think your horses are fine barefoot great many are but it dang sure isnt the only way.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:09 am

Never said it was. I told the guy to do his homework and make the right decision for he and his horses. I did and am completely happy with it. Those that I know who have gone the barefoot route have never looked back and we all put LOTS of miles on our horses.

Cheers!

Justin

tn red

Post by tn red » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Jimbo good luck with your horse if you want to try it this stuff works ok http://www.lifedatalabs.com/index.php?a ... th&lang=us back in the day when folks depended on a horse everyday they fed plain unflavored gelatin & just used pine tar on their hoofs which in all honesty is as good i think.Good luck getting it fixed before winter gets here

Lazyk

Post by Lazyk » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:18 pm

Ok so this is an ancient post but think about it ....if your feet are in bad shape maybe it's the diet? If you don't give the right mineral they can't grow healthy feet no matter what they stand in, or how you shoe them.