Bits

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Bits

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:51 am

So I am now the owner of a jug head MFT (hips and knees are already protesting)...Long story short he has some minor training to be done to become a trial horse and some minor games he was allowed to get away with previous owner but nothing a little foundation training and proper handling can't fix.

what I am having a hard time with is finding a bit that fits him. I already have and can find 5 inch bits all day long what I am looking for a medium to low port or snaffle type or dog bone type bit something with mild to medium correction with the longer shanks but I need a 5 1/2 inch bit for proper fit...

I have looked at all the popular sights from Jeffers to Dovers to stateline etc I can find regular snaffles in 5 1/2" but prefer a riding bit for the proper head collection

I found one place that can make a bit but he is wanting me to use a "Chain" bit...Though they have been around for a while I never used one I used to be strictly a QH person so question here is has anyone here or is anyone here using a chain bit and if so what are your thoughts on it?

And Does anyone have any other suggestions of places to look at to find a bit that will fit Rio
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Bits

Post by shags » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:32 am

My fox trotter and TWH both like the Imus comfort bit. The fox trotter came to me as a bit of a bully but Imus bit gives plenty of control without causing him undue pain. His head set is great in it. The walker we got as a coming three year old with a twisted wire gag, and he also does super with the Imus, great head set and goes well with soft hands. The bit fits horses needing a 5 1/2 inch mouth.

http://www.gaitsofgold.com/Bits/imus-co ... t-bit.html

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:38 pm

I don't know a whole lot about bits but I had a horse for some weeks in Ne this year and rode with a twisted wire snaffle.....

Tn Red would be the man to ask about bits.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

tn red

Post by tn red » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Chain mouthpieces as a rule are a very lite bit,in good hands like all bits.I like Myler or custom made on a problem horse.A good thing about a chain bit is you can wrap it when needed. just my 2 cents

http://www.mylerbitsusa.com/

http://www.grissombits.com/ can make anything you want

https://www.pinchlessbits.com/ Robart makes a good one also

hope this helps

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks I also found http://redriverbit.com/Custom.htm

been checking on Ebay and finally found a couple 5 1/2 inch bits to get me started... red river and grissom have very reasonable prices for custom bits...may have to work up a design once I see which bit will work better for him. and order one up from Grissom or Red river.

Still have to ask why the cool looking bits are all correctionals and the plain janes are workable ? :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:00 am

Britguy1

Post by Britguy1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Just a couple of questions for you. Is your horse comfortable with his current bit or evading the bit? Does he have flexation with his head and collection through his rear end? I would suggest talking to somebody at a saddle shop that knows his bitting. Go in there with good intel on your horse as far as what he is doing. Be willing to go with a curb bit that give your horse adequate tongue relief and the correction you desire. I have never had luck with a snaffle bit myself. Just some thoughts.
A bad day in the field is just a bad day.
A great day in the field is heaven

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:19 am

Couple of questions for you

First, is your current bit actually pinching the corners of his mouth, or do you have another reason for wanting a wider mouthpiece?
Secondly, what are his "minor" training issues? There are a myriad of different bit styles, all meant for different things. Most of them are meant to look cool and cause you to purchase them.

If I were looking for a wider bit, I'd go to draft horse supply sites, and warmblood type stuff, cause those are large horses that do require wider mouthpieces. If you are fine with a snaffle, Jeremiah Watt sells different widths in stock. His site is Ranch2Arena.com and his bits are very nice.

Chain bits are generally quite mild and many horses do well in them, but if you have one who is apt to run away, this may not be enough. It will depend greatly on the type of chain used. Whether the links are flat, how wide the chain, etc. as the real measure of severity of a bit is dictated by the surface area of metal that spreads the pressure. So a larger diameter is milder, smaller, more severe. Same with spurs, many folks think those little rowels are milder than the larger types, but the opposite is actually true. Hope that helps.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:11 am

OK..Sorry so long on replying
The horse has a 5inch mouth ..that is why I am looking for a larger bit ..The 5 inch bits rub on the corners with all action.

I have a few 5 1/2 inch bits coming..Including an IMUS bit...Been checking the Imus bits out here at the Brittany Futurity in Oregon...The people who have the swear by them.

as for the minor stuff.... The previous owner was one of those that tried to humanize and treat the horse like an equal :roll: ...So though he would eventually basically do what she wanted she always struggled with a bit that didn't fit there was a lot of head tossing and him not wanting to stand still once mounted with her trying to use a short single rein she was constantly giving mixed cues for direction..As in she would tip the horses nose opposite of the direction she wanted to go putting the horse on the wrong lead to change direction. Since he had the control when he wants to go where he wants to go and gets chompy at the bit when really asked to do something..

Plus I have to get a farrier out and get him trimmed right...he has somethings to learn...worked at the ropes around the legs and pasterns
blanked a gun a couple times at a distance

Looking forward to getting back and beginning to put time on him...he tests a little but once he figures out I will not give up he gives pretty readily

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:51 am

This bit has worked on every horse that I have used it on. It is similar to the Imus bit, but it doesn't fall apart after a few uses like the Imus bit does.

https://www.pinchlessbits.com/index.php ... &Itemid=53
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Sun May 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Check saddle/girth fit too... often an antsy horse is one acting out of discomfort in neck/spine (as well as repeating habitual behavior), and usually the cause traces back to improper saddle and or girth fit.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 08, 2012 11:33 am

Sorry haven't checked in ..

The Imus bits have helped a lot..though pretty much all the bits that fit him have helped the Imus though have had the best results

After getting some riding in his only main issues are when the boogey man is near..you know things like tarps canal crossings plastic fertilizer tanks oh and the evil bunnies
Other day I had 3 stop to flushes 2 on ducks coming off the canal and one when a few buzzards came off a carcass :lol:
the more we ride the better he is getting as he learns I don't fall for the games his previous owner allowed him to get away with

Thanks