English to western rigging?

jimbo&rooster

English to western rigging?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue May 29, 2012 8:57 am

Guys I picked up a Plantation saddle by chance the other day and after riding in it a few times I think I like it. However, this saddle has english style rigging, which is fine for riding but I have a heck of a time getting in this saddle without a step or bucket. It gets plenty tight to ride, but im a fat guy and it wants to pull over when I try to get on with out a step up.

Does anyone know of a company that makes a set of western rigging that will hook to the english straps so that I can convert this saddle over to a standard girth?

Thanks
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

jimbo&rooster

Re: English to western rigging?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue May 29, 2012 9:00 am

Never mind I found exactly what I was looking for...... If anyone is interested here is a link.

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/P ... ata%2Bfeed

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Wed May 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Another "trick" to help prevent saddle roll (provided saddle properly fits the horse - that's a whole 'nuther discussion), is to ensure that your western cinch rings/buckle(s) are located only a couple of inches above the horse's elbows, and *below* the spring of the horse's rib cage. Too often folks buy/use a cinch that's too long, and if the rings/buckles sit above the 'spring' of the rib cage the saddle is gonna roll, baby, roll! Avoid neoprene materials against the horse's hair/skin -- that material, even with 'waffle' depressions, holds moisture from sweat and wet and can contribute to sores/rolling. A mohair (or primarily mohair blend) western string cinch, proper length, can help to avoid sores/galling for most horses.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Thu May 31, 2012 8:15 am

Grab a handful of mane instead of the saddle to help pull yourself up.