saddle questions...

orbirdhunter

saddle questions...

Post by orbirdhunter » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Well, my horse arrived today. So i am saddle shopping. Naturally i am drawn to trooper saddles however my wife is a little worried about me feeling secure in the seat with lack of pommel and cantle. So any suggestions for saddles with a little deeper seat. Maybe a endurance? Brand suggestion?

dan v

Re: saddle questions...

Post by dan v » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:12 am

The first question is this. Why are you drawn to Trooper type saddles? I, myself, don't like them. I prefer a close contact western saddle.

I'd recommend find a riding instructor that has a bunch of different saddles could try. In fact maybe borrow some of your friends gear and try that....but they all will need to fit the horse first.
Dan

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:13 am

Thank you for the reply, i understand the concepts of saddle fit and such, i am greener to horses but my wife is basically a professional horsewomen. Having said that gaited horses are new to us. And my wife is alot more familiar with barrel racing and cutting saddles, not saddles to sit in for hrs and be comfortable.
Basically kinda looking for a place to start from people that have tried different kinds of saddles, something that is going to comfortable and yet i will feel reasonably secure in. I jumping off point to start shopping for saddles.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:04 am

I grew up in a wester saddle, and I can see where your wife is coming from. If she is comfortable in a western saddle there is no reason she cant ride a gaited horse in a western type saddle, there are several companies out there that have western saddles for gaited horses. I personally went with a tucker 270 and ordered it with out all of the traditional western skirts. It is not uncommon for us to spend hours riding here around the farm, and it is comfortable all day at a trial.

If she already has a saddle she likes there is no need to buy a new one.

That will give you some time to try out a few different options and see what you like, or dont like. Also dont over look plantation saddles. In the last month i have picked up both an old trooper, and an old Plantation, and my father in law who is a die hard western rider, has latched on to the plantation for riding his little rocky mountain stud colt.

In the end it is more about being comfortable than anything else.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 am

I just saw that your wife is worried about you being comfortable... not her. Any how all of the same applies.

Depending on your comfort level on a horse sometimes it is nice to have a horn to grab ahold of when something silly happens.

I will say my tucker is not seeing near as many miles since i picked up an older trooper.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:07 pm

There is a lot of difference between the brands of trooper saddles. They aren't for everyone of course. More importantly make sure you get a saddle that fits your horse.

But there is a significant difference between, a Haggis, a Tucker, and a Tarpin Hill (Heskett), and frankly other really great brands like Christie, and M&W. I love my Heskett, wife loves her Haggis... Neither of us much likes the other. More importantly the saddles are fit to the horses, and really should not be interchanged.

I also see a decent amount of Endurance saddles on the trial circuit. Just saying if you are truly honest, you ought to find what you like best, and what works for the horse (Opinions are just that). Don't be afraid to ask a friend if you can try out their saddle (obviously on their horse). Ideally you could then try fit on your own horse. Keeping in mind getting fit perfect might require some adjustment to the saddle, or buying a different size of the same line. You'd be surprised how much saddle fit effects a horses gait, but if you think about it... kind of makes sense.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Tucker makes a heck of a comfy western-looking saddle. I have ridden on them on some very nice TWH's. No issues. If you have the $ they are a sweet way to go.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:27 pm

Well, right now i have a Steele trail saddle that we are trying out, i like it except the horn, seems to fit the horse pretty good, not sure if its quite perfect on the horse fit because i haven't been able to wear him down enough to get a great sweat on him yet.....I have had no luck otherwise, trying to find a saddle to test out has not been easy for me.

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Tucker will have something you will like,people tend to like a saddle they feel comforortable 0r safe in.Id suggest riding in it a few hours if possible.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Get yourself a nice Haggis and you'll have the best of both worlds. I sold my Tucker Trooper saddle and bought a Haggis and don't regret it one bit.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:04 am

I had a hesket on order like that until little Caroline came along 8)
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am

Trust me, i've been tempted to just order one....but i would much rather test one out first, for me and the horse...and that has been the problem. Not being able to find a saddle to test out.