Ok... Ford VS. Chevy...

jimbo&rooster

Ok... Ford VS. Chevy...

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:52 am

Alright, after alot of time spent with a little Paso (?) mare, getting her ready to be an FT horse, I came to the tough realization this weekend that I am probly too big to really push her over rough terrain, handling and scouting dogs. She is in pretty good shape and has been a great horse but I think this weekend was just too much for her, she spent yesterday tied out while I rode a wrangler horse. And my usual spare, an appy is rough as a cob so I left him home.

Any how, after all of that, I got the OK from the boss to buy another gaited horse. Now my dilema is this.... We currently have a nice youndg RMH stud, so I am naturally drawn to buying a RMH mare that can be used as breeding stock at some point down the road, but after spending time on a TWH this weekend, I am seriously considering getting a walker. Any of ya'll have any thoughts one way or the other? I really like our RMH but size may become a factor, Im looking for something no taller than 15.2, but that can carry a 275lb rider all day.

I realize it 6 of one half a dozen of the other, but what do ya'll think?

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Ok... Ford VS. Chevy...

Post by topher40 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:23 am

walker all the way.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 am

If walker's weren't the best suited for the job I don't think 90% of field trial folks would be riding them.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:51 am

ACooper wrote:If walker's weren't the best suited for the job I don't think 90% of field trial folks would be riding them.
I thought about that.... But I wonder if the number of walkers you see is based on sheer availability? Or the fact that folks just use walkers cause thats what everyone else uses?

The RMH is a reletively new kid on the block compared to the TWH.....

Jim

cmc274

Ok... Ford VS. Chevy...

Post by cmc274 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:52 am

Jim,

For some reason I can't pm you, send me an email Chris dot Carnahan at gmail dot com

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:01 am

Since you're a big guy and it sounds like you want to scout and handle both, I'd suggest a big sturdy TWH or a fox trotter. A little horse, unless it's a Mighty Mouse, would likely have a hard time keeping those short legs pumping around all day, carrying a load. Plenty of horses around - check out Ross's site (thefieldtrialer.com) or ask around at a trial.

Good luck in your search, horse shopping is fun!

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:35 am

TWH are by far the best horse for field trialing and a Fox Trotter is not far behind. I have found because of the pace of some stakes, very few horses including the above can go all day and last. You will find that Pro-trainers only ride their horses for a half a day. Person who judges or is planting birds switches horses half way through the day. You will plainly wear the horse out and in some cases I have seen good horses who have been worked all day long and eventually ruined. If you are riding a a few braces a day and giving the horse occasional break, yes they will last all day and you can ride them for several days without hurting them. I have seen a few Paso's at field trials and most do quite well. Those little horses have unbelievable stamina for their size. But, with that said nothing beats a TWH.

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:07 pm

you know what they say about opinions, but here is my .02.

Paso's work really hard, but don't cover much ground due to their size. Running dogs and scouting is better handled by a horse that can cover some ground.....especially if you are a big guy.

As for breeding horses......by the time you calculate the TIME and expense involved getting a foal on the ground and ready to use, it makes way more sense buying a horse that is ready to go. For some people, raising the colt is a reward in and of itself. If running the dogs is your priority, an experienced 7 yr old has always worked out very well for me and gives you a horse you can use for a LONG time!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Don't try to re-invent the wheel man!! If yer gonna seriously trial ya' gets yerself a pointa and a walka!! :wink: :lol:

Personally I favor the MFT"s for our country because I think they (generally) have better bottom, more surefooted, and carry weight a bit better for their size (you can get away with a bit shorter but stouter/squarer built MFT so you are not tippin' 'em over gettin' on/off on the steep chukar hills...and you don't have as far to fall off! :lol: ) - they are typically slower than a TWH in their intermediate gaits but I think their flat walk and short lope are on par. I feel like (generally) an average for the breed 15.2 MFT = avg. for the breed built 16h TWH as far as service/duty life.

We'll hopefully have this little MFT dude ready for the 2016 spring season!! HBV's Upland Strider:

All that said, my go to horse right now is a 16+H TWH - big clumsy oaf:

Last edited by DGFavor on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Jim there are several dog trainers around that also train & sell horses I'm sure you could find something to fit you.PM me if you want a couple names.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks for the imput guys. Chances are I will be buying a young horse and putting it through the paces my self. I get alot of joy out of working horses. Im just not sure what Im after. As far as Breeding horses, It will be more as a side project to keep my Father in law busy, we have raised a few foals, and its nice to bring one up and have that bond.

As far as my paso, she was a sale barn brain fart that worked out real well, she has alot of motor, and is a great horse for working and handling dogs off of. She is just too small to handle business when the terrain is real ruff with me on her. I imagine now that most of the work has been put into her my wife will use her.

Jim

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Id go with a Dodge

This one can even chase devil birds

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Beautiful horses Red,if only I was not so old & broke down. :evil:

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:39 am

Well, i don't have alot of experience yet....but i am 6'2 about 250....My wife who is a horse expert recommended minimum of 15 hands and preferably closer to 16 hands for me....we rode a few horses, and i fell in love with a 15 hand MFT, smooth as silk to ride, but we decided that at the pace we were riding for FT's...especially with me wanting to watch alot of braces, help out with planting etc...it didn't quite have it.
We then found a monster of a TWH at 16.2 hands, dude was HUGE, i wasn't sure if i could even get on him...luckily for me he had been taught to "park out" making it really easy to get on. Once up and on i found that the monster wasn't as comfortable but he moved out well, ate up the ground seemingly without effort. I watched 5 braces plus the one a ran and he was barely breaking a sweat...I decided that at my size a big monster walker fit me pretty well...