fencing

Allin13

fencing

Post by Allin13 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:35 pm

how is the electric rope fence, In rain and dry weather? Is it easy to put up?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: fencing

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 pm

I have the tape fence around the goats. The tape does fine in the rain and tolerates some weeds touching it, but my solar charger runs out after about 18 hours of cloudy weather. I also have one around my flowers to keep the dogs out and it is plugged in small animal fence. Works fine in all weather.

Easier than wire electric. But not as easy as you might think. You cant really get it as tight.

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:57 am

We used the poly-rope which is the "cheap" solution. Installed it in Nov.. and did a small paddock (about an acre) with it. We used a plug in style Zareba injector, which works pretty well, we got the 25 mile one, because ultimately we want a 6 acre pasture (pasture, funny since we have nothing but trees/rocks right now).

Anyway... it keeps its tension pretty good. It's easy to install if you insulate it correctly. Tapping into it is simple, and extending a run is simple. They sell these connectors to butt two ends together which are worthless. Here's a hint, TIE THEM!

Here's what the stuff looks like, and honestly we've been more than happy with it... we test is every couple days to make sure it's still charged (once we unplugged it, and the horses were "stretching" over it to eat grass from the front yard, but nobody has challenged it yet).

Yep that's my horse staked out on the front lawn. He and his pasture-mate play hard, and this was after we divided the run-in, and the paddock so that he wouldn't be disturbed. He just injured his hoof, and we're trying to keep him calm all summer while he grows some hoof back. It took me about 2-3 hours to divide the run-in, and corner off a section of paddock.

You can see here how I divided the run-in
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:37 pm

so you just tie them all? how do you tie it into your box? more pics of that if you could?

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Mon May 06, 2013 12:22 pm

I hope this helps (when you say you just tie them all), I am assuming you mean the rope... then yes... But you must insulate the rope from the ground (poles/trees/fenceposts)...
This is the incoming source wires... Just used standard romex split/exposed run back to the zareba 25 mile injector, exposed the copper wire, then wrapped it around the rope several times, then electrical taped it in place.
here you can see the corner (end) tied to ceramic (insulated) stops
they make nice wire (hard steel) you can run through plastic insulators for corners... sorry this is the best picture I have. If you need more detail I can take another pict.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect