Dogs & horses sharing a fence?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Dogs & horses sharing a fence?

Post by Karen » Tue May 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Here's a pic of how our dog fence is constructed:

Our plan when we had the fencing done, was to run 3 strand polyrope to the outside of the fence (the side where the 3 boards are) and let the dogs and horses share the fence. Where we don't have dog fence, we'll use insulators to trees. We COULD leave an aisle between dogs and horses and attach all the horse fencing to trees (God knows we have plenty of them). The question is, is it safe for both dogs & horses to share the fence, or do we go with Plan B (insulators to trees)?

With field trials season over, and nice weather finally here, we're ready to give the horses some more space to roam.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

gotpointers

Re: Dogs & horses sharing a fence?

Post by gotpointers » Tue May 07, 2013 7:30 pm

My horse has no problems with the birddogs hanging out with him. The blue heeler he doesent care for but she deserves it.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Dogs on 1 side of the fence....horses on the other side. That's what the welded wire is for.
ImageImage

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed May 08, 2013 5:27 am

I don't expect the welded wire to hold up long for the dogs. Woven horse wire or welded panel will.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed May 08, 2013 5:42 am

gotpointers, I really wasn't asking about the durability of the fence. We went to great lengths to find a very reputable fencing contractor, who feltcertain the fence would hold up for years to come.

I'm concerned about safety issues I may not have considered already.
ImageImage

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:01 am

Karen, I think it is the perfect way for them to get use to each other. We have that other topic going about how to do just this and it has always worked for me. And the welded wire will last as long as wire lasts unless you have a dog that decides his purpose in life is to tear up a fence. I had lots fenced with it that lasted for 30 years and more.

I think it is the best way to let them learn to know and trust each other which in turn tends to teach them to pretty much ignore each other.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed May 08, 2013 8:12 am

Hope you don't have a digger. I had 2 and finally had to put in a 18" concrete footer around the base of the fence.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 am

I couldn't imagine a safety concern with "Dogs on 1 side of the fence....horses on the other side" unless one or the other were to get through.

Ezzy, if I may ask what did you keep in the lot's that were encircled with welded wire for 30 years?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed May 08, 2013 9:18 am

We do have some diggers. We ran a hot wire about 6" from the ground on the dog side of the fence and gates to prevent digging. It's worked like a charm (and was WAY cheaper than concrete footings). Honestly, I don't think you can dig more more than a few inches without hitting rock here, but we aren't taking any chances. Haven't had one get out since they discovered the hot wire. :D
ImageImage

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 am

gotpointers wrote:I couldn't imagine a safety concern with "Dogs on 1 side of the fence....horses on the other side" unless one or the other were to get through.

Ezzy, if I may ask what did you keep in the lot's that were encircled with welded wire for 30 years?
Kept dogs and /or goats. Used the goats as my lawn mower and it worked really well. At that time all of my kennel runs were made out of welded wire and had no problem with them either. Did have a setter break it's teeth pulling on it when I took other dogs out for training and left him at the kennel.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tn red

Post by tn red » Wed May 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Only problem i see you may have to run a hot wire on top also, some horses love to chew plank fencing...looks good

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed May 15, 2013 3:55 pm

tn red wrote:Only problem i see you may have to run a hot wire on top also, some horses love to chew plank fencing...looks good
+1 on the hot wire on top.

RayG

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed May 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks all. We plan to run 3 strands of hot wire along the horse side of the fence, so that shouldn't be a problem.
ImageImage

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri May 17, 2013 4:05 am

Good idea on the hot wire along the top. Not only will some horses chew that top rail, but some will grip it with their teeth and pull back with all their weight, others will lean into a fence. I changed a lot of top rails for some of the bad ones. My friend that has several horse properties went to a really large rail about 3x10 on his latest property.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun May 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Horses also have a calming influence on all of us. I think your dogs will be better off being near them. Most of ours were nose-to-nose their entire lives.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com