IR Horse

Karen
GDF Junkie

IR Horse

Post by Karen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:13 am

Has anyone ever dealt with an insulin resistant horse? We have an opportunity to take on a very well trained horse for the cost of transport but I don't want to get in over our heads. Our property is pretty much a dry lot, so we hay year round as it is with our horses getting a pittence of grain. There is green stuff out there, but mostly weeds & brush right now. We do have plans to clear and plant, but it'll be years before we have pasture, and the dry lot isn't going anywhere.

I don't want to take on a money pit.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: IR Horse

Post by shags » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:21 am

Some of them you have to be really careful with concerning diet. Late season hay only (hay cut somewhat past its prime), soaking hay to reduce sugar content, no grass, and many packaged feeds are out of the question. Laminitis can be a BIG problem, as can Cushings.

IR can be controlled with diet and exercise, but the consequences of messing up can be serious, i.e. laminitis. So I'd investigate what this horse's situation is, does it need soaked hay ( are you willing to do that several times a day in the winter?) is a grazing muzzle necessary and if so does the horse tolerate it well, will you be able to stake the horse out on the grounds you frequent, will you be prepared to handle a serious lameness issue?

If my current horse developed IR I'd do what was necessary for him, but I wouldn't purchase a horse with the problem.

Good luçk with whatever you decide.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: IR Horse

Post by Karen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:44 am

Yeah, did some checking. This horse had a bout of laminitis, which is how the owner finally zoned in on IR. No rotation, and is sound. She's feeding tested hay 3-4 times a day, and supplementing with minerals that the hay is lacking. Not soaking hay, and putting a closed muzzle on him when he's out on pasture (I guess he's tolerating it well).

We've decided that, although the horse sounds like he'd be great for field trialing, the work,risk and potential expense is just not worth it.

And I'm with you. If one of our current horses developed IR, I'd deal with it.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit