Trailer modification - rear tack in stock trailer??

Karen
GDF Junkie

Trailer modification - rear tack in stock trailer??

Post by Karen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Has anyone added a saddle rack to the back of a stock trailer?

We bought a new trailer (we pick it up in a week...woo hoo!!), that has an 8' x 14' stock area. We have 3 horses, 2 on the smaller side, so PLENTY of room in the back.

Has anyone added a saddle rack & water tank to the back of their stock trailer? If so, I'd love to see pics.

I keep thinking there has to be a way to add a saddle rack, have the saddles actually stay on it, and have the horses NOT impale themselves on it, but if someone has already done it, pleas share pics.

PS - We have a mid-tack with a removable 4 tier saddle rack, but I anticipate it being in the way. The mid-tack is 3' short wall with a 32" camper door, 7' long wall with a 48" ramp and the saddle rack in the corner by the ramp. I want to put dog boxes along that wall with the ramp so there's lots of cross ventilation on warm days and I have access from both sides of the trailer. I'm thinking intermediate ruff tough kennels with 2 doors.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

uplandnut

Re: Trailer modification - rear tack in stock trailer??

Post by uplandnut » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:31 am

I don't having any experience putting a saddle stand in a stock trailer but I would definitely want it to have a divider from the horses. What was wrong with the mid tack?

uplandnut

Post by uplandnut » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:34 am

I just saw your other post about the new horse, is that the same trailer you want to change? If so a lot of trailer companies put the holes in the floor and ceiling so that you can move the saddle rack to the mid tack or the back, might be worth looking under the mats in the back to see.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:04 pm

We're actually on our way to pick up the new trailer right now...sitting in a hotel in Richmond, IN. The new trailer is an Exiss LQ with mid-tack and 14' stock box for the horses. I'll have to post pictures on Monday when we are back home.
ImageImage

uplandnut

Post by uplandnut » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Oh, I thought you were looking to modify the one in your other post, my apologies.

uplandnut

Post by uplandnut » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:42 pm

Now I saw the new Exiss, looks like a nice trailer! What were your reasons for going with a stock model after having a slant designed for horses?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:46 am

We've purchased "just enough" in the past, thinking we'd never need more, then outgrown it in a couple years, so we decided to not make that mistake again, and many of the pros have gone to stock trailers. I think, long term, it'll be more versatile. We should have room for a dozen dogs and 5 horses. Don't think we'll ever need that much space...but then I've said that before :-)
ImageImage

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Picked the new trailer up today!! No modifications necessary! The dealer had the good sense to order the trailer with the swing wall 4 feet from the mid-tack, which leaves a 10 foot box for horses (plenty of room for 3 horses). So we have an extra 4 foot storage area with a walk through door from the mid tack and a 3/4 door from outside. The trailer is WAY better than I expected!!
ImageImage