Hunting Dog Training & More    

Popular Searches: Garmin Astro | Dog Collars | Tri-Tronics | SPORTdog

MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Please tell me what GDF board features you want to see.


Off the top of my head, here's a recap of week 1

* New members have first 10 posts moderated

* Added several custom fields to PROFILES (# dogs, hunter, competitor, etc.) to reduce SPAM

* Added "PLEASE ADD LOCATION" link for members without location.

* Configured better SEARCH feature using Google (live but not implemented yet)
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00742 ... xbczixgoe8

* Expanded FORUM PAGES to show 100 TOPICS per page

* Expanded TOPIC PAGES to show 100 POSTS per page (you can override in your User Control Panel)

* DECREASED the number of posts a TOPIC had to have to show as *ACTIVE* to 11

* Changed EDITING time from 2 minutes back to unlimited.

* Added a link to NEW POSTS in top nav.
* Removed link to MEMBERS section from top nav.
* Removed GUN DOG DIRECTORY links from footer.
* Moved CHAT link to top nav.

* Added a favicon to all forum pages (little GSP in logo shows on your tabs)

* Images shown on POSTS now should be smaller than 1024x768 to not break the board

* Deleted 1000+ automated accounts never activated.
* Deleted several hundred spammer accounts only on here for links. No real posts.
* Emailed MEMBERS inactive in the past 18 months w/ a reminder. Got 85 folks back.
* Emailed new MEMBERS who were never active in the past 18 months w/ a reminder email.

* Made a banner linking to REGISTER function to get more members. Doubled traffic to register page. Members logged in don't see it.

Can't remember anything else!

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby snips » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:23 pm

Wow, you been busy! Fix Live Chat where I can get on it again..... :?
User avatar
snips
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 5542
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:26 am
Location: n.ga.

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby dudleysmith » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:27 pm

snips wrote:Wow, you been busy! Fix Live Chat where I can get on it again..... :?



Live Chat works i had to update the Java thingee and when i did it works again...
User avatar
dudleysmith
Rank: Senior Hunter
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: between a rock and a hard place

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby Birddog3412 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:40 pm

At this point I do not like the 100 post per page, I find it to hard to find where I last left off.
User avatar
Birddog3412
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:09 am
Location: Oblong, Illinois

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby proudag08 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:At this point I do not like the 100 post per page, I find it to hard to find where I last left off.


"First unread post" top right...
User avatar
proudag08
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 am
Location: Burleson, TX

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby Birddog3412 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:48 pm

proudag08 wrote:
Birddog3412 wrote:At this point I do not like the 100 post per page, I find it to hard to find where I last left off.


"First unread post" top right...



After I posted this I found where you wrote this on the other post......My problem is I sneak on here at work and dont want to take the time to sign in. :D And because it is an iternet/intranet it doesnt always keep me signed it.
User avatar
Birddog3412
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:09 am
Location: Oblong, Illinois

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby proudag08 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Well now its gone... Rob, is this just a glitch?
User avatar
proudag08
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 am
Location: Burleson, TX

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:15 pm

proudag08 wrote:Well now its gone... Rob, is this just a glitch?


Nope. If there aren't any #UNREAD posts in a TOPIC, the link is hidden. I put <h1> around it to make it HUGE for a day or so...
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby proudag08 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Even when there is an unread post, the link is in white... you cant see it... I had to "ctrl A" to find it... Just change the font color and we should be good...
User avatar
proudag08
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 am
Location: Burleson, TX

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:31 pm

proudag08 wrote:Even when there is an unread post, the link is in white... you cant see it... I had to "ctrl A" to find it... Just change the font color and we should be good...


doh! thanks.

fixed it I think. (does it have yellow highlighting? and smaller now?)

must have been a browser thing. I'm on chrome on a mac. I should've known h1 tags inside links sometimes render differently!
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby proudag08 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:33 pm

perfect... Ive never been a big fan of Chrome but I am a mac guy and will never go back to a PC...
User avatar
proudag08
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 am
Location: Burleson, TX

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:11 pm

...

just exported the TOPICS database from since the dawn of time

15 posts or less 16,821 topics
25 posts or less 18,844 topics
50 posts or less 19,866 topics <<<<< this works
100 posts or less 20,104 topics <<<<< less than 250 "lost" pages :)

I can easily get what I want with 50 posts to a topic, so for now I'm changing it to that.

thanks for feedback! -- r
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby dudleysmith » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:46 pm

people to post up winners of field trials, i know there are alot of Nstra guys and girls on here i would like to see results from those trials....
Last edited by dudleysmith on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
dudleysmith
Rank: Senior Hunter
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: between a rock and a hard place

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby dudleysmith » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:47 pm

admin wrote:...

just exported the TOPICS database from since the dawn of time

15 posts or less 16,821 topics
25 posts or less 18,844 topics
50 posts or less 19,866 topics <<<<< this works
100 posts or less 20,104 topics <<<<< less than 250 "lost" pages :)

I can easily get what I want with 50 posts to a topic, so for now I'm changing it to that.

thanks for feedback! -- r



what does this mean???
User avatar
dudleysmith
Rank: Senior Hunter
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: between a rock and a hard place

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:08 pm

dudleysmith wrote:what does this mean???


Most TOPICS (threads) have less than 50, and really less than 25 POSTS (replies).

So I changed the # of POSTS that appear on a single from 100 back down to 50 based on several comments and PMs that I got.

Make sense. Sometimes I do NOT. ;) -- ROB
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:11 pm

That would be Clear as Mud :lol:
User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
 
Posts: 7823
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby dudleysmith » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:17 pm

admin wrote:
dudleysmith wrote:what does this mean???


Most TOPICS (threads) have less than 50, and really less than 25 POSTS (replies).

So I changed the # of POSTS that appear on a single from 100 back down to 50 based on several comments and PMs that I got.

Make sense. Sometimes I do NOT. ;) -- ROB



gotcha thanks
User avatar
dudleysmith
Rank: Senior Hunter
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: between a rock and a hard place

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby tro182 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:26 pm

why moderate new members first 10 post....The first post on the forum would be my last. Let the moderators do their job in the forums IMO
User avatar
tro182
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:00 pm
Location: Newton, KS

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:36 pm

The reason for the moderating of new member really isn't about anything more then to put a complete stop to spammers
I can't begin to tell you how many times I have had to delete 5-15 posts from mass spammers.

and I think they backed it off to 4 or 5 posts now
User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
 
Posts: 7823
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby tro182 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:38 pm

understand now...just let people know and why. Should not be a problem.
User avatar
tro182
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:00 pm
Location: Newton, KS

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:43 pm

So far it has worked like a charm. most the post get approved pretty quickly as it just having a mod on at the time who sees new post makes sure it isn't for a gucci bag reeboks and a nokia phone or some other annoying spam post and it is approved
User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
 
Posts: 7823
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby tommyboy72 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:50 pm

How about a topic/forum area where members could trade out hunts if they wanted to, maybe another one advertising just firearms for sale, perhaps one where some of the members who own guide services could advertise and post the types of hunts they put on and the prices for these hunts, maybe another area for just training birds like quail and pigeons for sale. I just say this because sometimes I do look at the things for sale and a lot of times the adds for dog boxes and collars overwhelm the other items for sale in this forum and make for a lot of search work to find some of the other items. Thanks.
User avatar
tommyboy72
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: White Deer, Tx.

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby tommyboy72 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Also I would like to know how come GDF doesn't work as far as sending email notices of PM's and new topic posts to my Hotmail account but it works flawlessly with my AOL account? Just curious. It would be nice if it worked with my hotmail account. It used to and then all of a sudden it just stopped. Now if I want to know if I have PM's I have to log on to GDF which I never mind doing but when I want to become aware of new posts to a topic I have been posting to I have to actually go to that topic open it up and check or look at who the last poster was. It would be nice if I could get notices sent to my primary email account like I used to.
User avatar
tommyboy72
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 2058
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: White Deer, Tx.

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Great ideas! Wouldn't want to slice it TOO thin, but I think some subcategories would be helpful.
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:01 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Also I would like to know how come GDF doesn't work as far as sending email notices of PM's and new topic posts to my Hotmail account but it works flawlessly with my AOL account? Just curious. It would be nice if it worked with my hotmail account. It used to and then all of a sudden it just stopped. Now if I want to know if I have PM's I have to log on to GDF which I never mind doing but when I want to become aware of new posts to a topic I have been posting to I have to actually go to that topic open it up and check or look at who the last poster was. It would be nice if I could get notices sent to my primary email account like I used to.



Might check your hotmail spam settings
User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
 
Posts: 7823
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks for your note. Sounds to me like it's HOTMAIL blocking emails from GDF's domain. Can you contact someone there?

We don't have any input there...

tommyboy72 wrote:Also I would like to know how come GDF doesn't work as far as sending email notices of PM's and new topic posts to my Hotmail account but it works flawlessly with my AOL account? Just curious. It would be nice if it worked with my hotmail account. It used to and then all of a sudden it just stopped. Now if I want to know if I have PM's I have to log on to GDF which I never mind doing but when I want to become aware of new posts to a topic I have been posting to I have to actually go to that topic open it up and check or look at who the last poster was. It would be nice if I could get notices sent to my primary email account like I used to.
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks. New member's first 4 posts just go into a queue and have to get a mod to check them before going live...

We've caught a ton of link spammers already, and even some dog supply retailers not participating in the forums, but "just advertising..."

I deleted 1500+ Chinese and Russian spam accounts this weekend alone. 1500!

tro182 wrote:why moderate new members first 10 post....The first post on the forum would be my last. Let the moderators do their job in the forums IMO
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby ACooper » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:11 pm

kninebirddog wrote:So far it has worked like a charm. most the post get approved pretty quickly as it just having a mod on at the time who sees new post makes sure it isn't for a gucci bag reeboks and a nokia phone or some other annoying spam post and it is approved


I am glad you guys are doing that! Spam really annoys me for some reason. :lol:
User avatar
ACooper
GDF Premier Member!
 
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:37 pm
Location: Sometimes I'm in Oklahoma

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm

ACooper wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:So far it has worked like a charm. most the post get approved pretty quickly as it just having a mod on at the time who sees new post makes sure it isn't for a gucci bag reeboks and a nokia phone or some other annoying spam post and it is approved


I am glad you guys are doing that! Spam really annoys me for some reason. :lol:


Spammer can quickly ruin a board for sure kinda like walking in to a restaurant where all the tables are dirty and no one is cleaning it up it just doesn't leave a good impression
User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
 
Posts: 7823
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby Jester » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:56 pm

add a bird section where we can talk about rising and care. with maybe a sale sub section.
Jester
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:38 am
Location: Gardner Ks

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Great idea for pigeons/gamebirds subsection...

Would you include training in that or just care and maintenance?

Jester wrote:add a bird section where we can talk about rising and care. with maybe a sale sub section.
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby Jester » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:06 pm

just care, maintenance and for sale

unless you wanted it to read some thing like this

birds
-care and maintenance
-training with/questions (to me this would go in training sub forum)
-birds for sale
Jester
Rank: Junior Hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:38 am
Location: Gardner Ks

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:23 pm

thanks. that helps. You think there's enough volume on "training with birds" for it to be its own subsection?

Jester wrote:just care, maintenance and for sale

unless you wanted it to read some thing like this

birds
-care and maintenance
-training with/questions (to me this would go in training sub forum)
-birds for sale
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby ezzy333 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:35 pm

The more specific you get the less readers you will have. The less readers the fewer people who will learn something new. One of the advantages we have had is most of the posts are being read by a majority of the members when they log in. Besides learning we also are conversing with more people. I have to vote for less change because we are wondering if it would be good and change only when we have a real need to. I have said before I do not mind change but I also know you don't take the best on the market and start changing everything when we haven't had a need to do it. Reminds me of Obama's speech when he told everyone we are living in the best country in the world and I am here to change it. Can't say he hasn't been successful!!!!!

Ezzy
User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 16388
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:09 am

So, I'm OBAMA now? ;) Gee, thanks, Ezzy... I'm not into change for the sake of change, I promise!

> most of the posts are being read by a majority of the members when they log in.

Actually, I respectfully disagree. We put Google Analytics on the site in August, to track what types of visitors are reading what and where they're coming from, and I'll share access to the Google Analytics with anyone who is interested in our numbers and promises to keep our business between us and the fencepost.

IMHO -- Folks are reading the GENERAL CHAT because folks are posting in GENERAL CHAT. If we can train folks to click the NEW POSTS link and read new posts: search.php?search_id=newposts, they'll have the same experience as jumping into GENERAL CHAT, but thing will be more organized.

That being said, I'm willing to leave things as they are and let mods sort things and I'll organize stuff in the ARCHIVE from the bottom up and stay off of the FORUM INDEX and posts from the last 6 months...
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby kninebirddog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:22 am

I have always used the active topics and now really like the new posts link ..I like that the new posts is where you can click on it most every page not just the main page like the active topics option is

there really hasn't been any major change just some clean up which yes will take some people a little to adjust to. Over all it makes things a little more organized. :D

Thank you as I know it takes a bit to do that...and I bet it also helps on the band width
User avatar
kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!
 
Posts: 7823
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Coolidge AZ

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:43 am

I know, and I'm TERRIBLE at waiting before implementing something, and I apologize! Good news is, we're almost done with what I need to do to be confident we're not being bled to death by spammers, or that the site has unlocked doors everywhere.

Now when something blows up, I know my around the PHPBB, the MYSQL, and RACKSPACE servers pretty well now.

What do you think about the SIMPLICITY of the http://gundogforum.com/forum/ page now? The lack of SEO is KILLING ME (not really), but I can live with it. I stripped off all the descriptions of things which I think really cleans things up.

kninebirddog wrote:I have always used the active topics and now really like the new posts link ..I like that the new posts is where you can click on it most every page not just the main page like the active topics option is

there really hasn't been any major change just some clean up which yes will take some people a little to adjust to. Over all it makes things a little more organized. :D

Thank you as I know it takes a bit to do that...and I bet it also helps on the band width
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby Ditch__Parrot » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:15 am

How about subsections in the EVENTS forum.
EVENTS
---General Event Discussion
--- AKC Pointing
--------------- Hunt Tests
--------------- Field Trials
--- AKC Retrieving
--------------- Hunt Tests
----------------Field Trials
---American Field
--- NAVHDA
--- NSTRA



Did I just write that ? I'm not even into the "events" but have browsed the sections a few times to try to learn more or find info on nearby trials to go watch and I just find the whole all in one forum to be rather confused and not so newbie friendly. Someone more familiar with events could probably organize it better than my attempt.
User avatar
Ditch__Parrot
Rank: Champion
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Land Of Ahhs

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby PntrRookie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:21 am

admin wrote:[size=150]WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

Rob, FWIW from an advertising/design standpoint this new font is not easy to read. When the posts get lengthy and you try to skim through them, the "standard" sans serif (arial/helvetica) is much easier on the eyes. Minor point I know, just an observation. I like what you are doing...especially being in front of us and trying to get this kick started in the right direction. I applaud u.
User avatar
PntrRookie
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: SE Wisconsin

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby proudag08 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:54 am

PntrRookie wrote:
admin wrote:[size=150]WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

Rob, FWIW from an advertising/design standpoint this new font is not easy to read. When the posts get lengthy and you try to skim through them, the "standard" sans serif (arial/helvetica) is much easier on the eyes. Minor point I know, just an observation. I like what you are doing...especially being in front of us and trying to get this kick started in the right direction. I applaud u.



Agreed... smaller fonts not as bold would be easier for me! Thanks!
User avatar
proudag08
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 am
Location: Burleson, TX

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:04 am

thanks. good idea.

Ditch__Parrot wrote:How about subsections in the EVENTS forum.
EVENTS
---General Event Discussion
--- AKC Pointing
--------------- Hunt Tests
--------------- Field Trials
--- AKC Retrieving
--------------- Hunt Tests
----------------Field Trials
---American Field
--- NAVHDA
--- NSTRA


admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 am

PntrRookie wrote:
admin wrote:[size=150]WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

Rob, FWIW from an advertising/design standpoint this new font is not easy to read. When the posts get lengthy and you try to skim through them, the "standard" sans serif (arial/helvetica) is much easier on the eyes. Minor point I know, just an observation. I like what you are doing...especially being in front of us and trying to get this kick started in the right direction. I applaud u.


Thanks. I hate the fonts the board is using. I would switch it all to ARIAL, but I didn't want to go nuts last night. The CSS is pretty complicated.

All I did on FONTS was that I bumped up the font size 20% and looked at it on my GF's PC in IE8 and it was okay.

What browser are you on so I can make sure I'm looking at the same thing?

BTW I'm not touching it until after midnight tonight. ;)
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby PntrRookie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:12 am

A PC and with FireFox and IE
User avatar
PntrRookie
GDF Junkie
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: SE Wisconsin

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby Dave Quindt » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 am

admin wrote:thanks. good idea.

Ditch__Parrot wrote:How about subsections in the EVENTS forum.
EVENTS
---General Event Discussion
--- AKC Pointing
--------------- Hunt Tests
--------------- Field Trials
--- AKC Retrieving
--------------- Hunt Tests
----------------Field Trials
---American Field
--- NAVHDA
--- NSTRA




This site gets little to no retriever traffic and as there are a number of well-established retriever sites I don't see that changing much. I can't remember the last time we got retriever hunt test or field trial posts.

From an AKC/AF perspective much of the traffic here is either GSP or Britt stuff, where the trial is either a dual-sanctioned AKC/AF event or is a combo AKC/AF event (AKC weekend trial, AF trial during week, AKC weekend trial). There usually is one event thread that covers both the AKC and AF trials; worked well when there was just a "events" forum.

I could go on, but I'll end with this; this has all been tried before on other sites and has never worked well.

I had absolutely nothing to do with the original design of this site, but for me the generic events forum works best. But when I look at the various boards I either lurk or participate in, the ones with few forums are by far the most enjoyable for me. I always thought this site could have used some consolidation in the number of forums.

And I agree, the changes in font size has decreased the readability. I'm using IE6 on a corporate PC with XP and Firefox (latest release) on a Windows 7 pc at home.

JMO,
Dave
Dave Quindt
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Please ADD LOCATION

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:08 pm

Dave Quindt wrote:From an AKC/AF perspective much of the traffic here is either GSP or Britt stuff, where the trial is either a dual-sanctioned AKC/AF event or is a combo AKC/AF event (AKC weekend trial, AF trial during week, AKC weekend trial). There usually is one event thread that covers both the AKC and AF trials; worked well when there was just a "events" forum.


Thanks for the background. No plans to subdivide anything at this point.

Probably half of the folks on Gun Dog Supply are retriever folks. When Steve starts mentioning this board there, I'm sure we'll get a lot of them over here.

Dave Quindt wrote: I always thought this site could have used some consolidation in the number of forums.


Great! Do you mind sharing what forums you would prune and/or how you would organize what's left? You have experience on the board AND the professional background so your feedback is weighed a little heavier.

Dave Quindt wrote:And I agree, the changes in font size has decreased the readability. I'm using IE6 on a corporate PC with XP and Firefox (latest release) on a Windows 7 pc at home.


Point taken. I punted and now we're on the old CSS. IE6? Ouch.
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby ACooper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:12 pm

admin wrote:
Dave Quindt wrote:
Dave Quindt wrote:And I agree, the changes in font size has decreased the readability. I'm using IE6 on a corporate PC with XP and Firefox (latest release) on a Windows 7 pc at home.


Point taken. I punted and now we're on the old CSS. IE6? Ouch.



THANKS for changing the font back!
User avatar
ACooper
GDF Premier Member!
 
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:37 pm
Location: Sometimes I'm in Oklahoma

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby admin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Sure. I don't mind UNDOING something if it messes folks up!
admin
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm
Location: Starkville, Mississippi USA

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby fourseasons » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:38 pm

It would be nice for users to be able to delete threads they created... even if a thread has a reply -- as example, there are a few threads I created for items I was selling and those items were sold... I even edited the subject to say "SOLD" but I can't zap the threads because they have replies! Maybe have a helper-bee or two with ADMIN privileges who can periodically go through each forum and delete any threads where the original author has marked the subject as SOLD or DELETE PLEASE or something of the like? That might free up some space on the server, especially if FOR SALE threads have photos! :)

This also holds true for posted events that are WAY PAST DONE -- maybe drop them from a thread when they're XX days past the event?

And it would also be nice to be able to upload more than three photos in the FOR SALE forums :wink:
User avatar
fourseasons
Rank: Champion
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:52 pm
Location: Now in beautiful NZ

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby proudag08 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Used to, the new posts link would show you all the posts that you had not read yet. Now it only shows you the new posts from the last time you logged in. Sometimes I dont get to read everything I want to in one sitting and have to log in later on in the day. I think that it should go back to the way it was before where all "new posts" are posts that you havent read yet, no matter when you logged in last. Its just a pain to have to 1.)go to"active topics", 2.)scoll down to the group of red, 3.)click a topic, 4.)read, 5.)go back to the forum index, 1.)click active topics, 2.)scroll down... etc, when with new topics you 1.)click "new posts", 2.)scoll down, 3.)read, 1.)"new posts", 2.) scroll, 3.)read...

Just a suggestion.
User avatar
proudag08
Rank: 2X Champion
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 am
Location: Burleson, TX

Re: MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests

Postby displaced_texan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:20 pm

Don't know if this is a feature or policy issue, but I'm far more active on other forums...

Generally the more informative forums (In my experience) are slow to lock threads (for slander/libel/etc) and instead moderate posts. Strict policies about personal attacks and slander seem to be effective in preventing slander and animosity.

But the more open interchange and discussion tends to bring things out... Generally for the good. I'm not talking about "exposing" things, but allowing more open discussion of the things we talk about hunting, trialing, and training. (The site I'm on most is Competition Diesel, it's known in the truck world as the shark tank, and it is an extreme example, but people are very talkative. It's like being in the pits at a race. It's not always "nice" but there are rarely hard feelings and knowledge and experience from trial and error flow VERY freely.)

Just a thought, I like it here, and appreciate the knowledge and pictures:D

Again, I'm not at all suggesting allowing personal attacks, or blatant (unfounded) criticisms of breeders/kennels. Personal dislike and crooked are not the same. For a policy like what CompD has to work that has to be understood by all (not just the mods) and practiced.
User avatar
displaced_texan
Rank: 5X Champion
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:57 pm
Location: Mobilehoma


Return to Forum News & Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

| Pedigrees

THIS POST : MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests brought to you by Gun Dog Supply: Dog Training Collars & Hunting Dog Supplies

Click here to tweet this post

  • NOT logged in
  • MEMBERS: GDF Feature Requests
  • ./viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26435&start=0&sid=065d7dc0308c61c5b5422f367c23f470