Venison ribs

Compton30

Venison ribs

Post by Compton30 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:19 am

I think very highly of Steve Rinella of the Meateater television program, so when I saw he had a recipe for deer ribs, I decided to try them with my deer kill from last fall.

Let me tell you folks this, they turned out unbelievable.
My barometer for good wild game dishes is my wife, who puts up with my love for wild game but will also let me know if a dish I cook is actually good or if I just think it is good because I want it to be. These got her stamp of approval.

I will add that I didnt use their prescribed rub or sauce because I make my own. But the cooking method in the recipe is simple and just worked as described. I'm never just boning out deer ribs again after having these.

Link: http://www.themeateater.com/2017/venison-ribs/

j d patrick

Re: Venison ribs

Post by j d patrick » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:02 am

I didn't see the recipe on Rinella's website prior, but my wife bought me an electric pressure cooker at a yard sale last year and I did up deer ribs using that first, then the grill - and I agree - a great method for doing deer ribs

Compton30

Post by Compton30 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:20 pm

j d patrick wrote:I didn't see the recipe on Rinella's website prior, but my wife bought me an electric pressure cooker at a yard sale last year and I did up deer ribs using that first, then the grill - and I agree - a great method for doing deer ribs
Couldn't agree more. I need a pressure cooker just for the efficiency of it. I did mine in the crockpot and they turned out excellent, but I'd rather not wait hours haha.

j d patrick

Post by j d patrick » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:56 am

I used a crock pot for years but am about 100% converted to the pressure cooker for most things,,,,it's not so much the time, it's that (to me) the meat turns out better, juicier. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but a crock pot always seemed to suck the juice out of meat to me,,,,even when it was covered with liquid