Recipes

Ditch__Parrot

Recipes

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:40 pm

:idea: Hello I pm'd grant suggesting a seperate section on the board index for recipes. Then I thought that it might be putting the cart before the horse. So I'm hoping to start a thread (hopefully popular) for everbody's favorite recipes for the game that we devote so much time pursuing. :idea:

Ditch__Parrot

Re: Recipes

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Okay I'll go first. This recipe is out of Essential Game Bird Recipes from Pheasants Forever. It was submitted by Juania Gale of Phillipsburg KS and happens to be a favorite of mine. (hopufully PF doesn't mind me sharing the state secrets) I'ts a fantastic cook book with many more wonderfull recipes. the $$$ goes to a good cause you should bye it!!

Pheasant & Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:3 whole pheasant breast, 1 Large chopped onion, 1/2 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms or 2 (4oz.) cans drained, 1stick (4 oz.) butter, 1 cup flour, 1(10 3/4 oz.)cream of potato soup, 8 cups hot chicken broth, 6 cups cooked wild rice, 1/8 teaspoon thyme, 1/8 teaspoot poultry seasoning, 1/8 teaspoon sage, 1lb. bacon cooked and crumbled

Dirctions: Boil Pheasant in water until tender. Cool and debone pheasant. Dice and set aside. In large Dutch oven saute onions and mushrooms in butter. Sprinkle in flour, stirring constantly until well blended. Add soup, and mix well. Add hot broth, stirring untill well blended. Add wild rice, seosonings , phesant and bacon. Heat over medium-low heat untill almost boiling. Be sure not to boil. Garnish with sage.

I will add that I like to brown the pheasant in a skillet on med-high heat before boiling.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:35 pm

It's gun dog and hunting related, so I see no reason it can't be here. And, I'm right happy to say that :D

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Finally an easy decision Greg?

Sadie_Marie, the recipe sounds WONDERFUL!!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:59 pm

Duck Gumbo:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wild-Duck- ... etail.aspx

Bet it would be good with pheasant too.

Greg J.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:00 pm

GROUSE IN SOUR CREAM
1 grouse, cut into serving pieces
Flour
Salt
Pepper
1 cup sour cream
3 tbsp. dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup milk

Coat bird with flour; salt and pepper to taste. Brown grouse in hot fat. Combine sour cream, soup mix, and milk; pour over bird. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour or until tender.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 pm

Sounds like good stuff. I like to keep it simple. I cut Sharptail in strips, roll in flour, heavy pepper and salt. Fry lightly in olive oil. Do not over cook. Then make gravy with drippings...:) Add some bisquits:) Wild rice:) Thats what we had last nite :)
brenda

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:13 pm

Orange balsamic quail with steamed corn and brown rice. Very easy to make and and worth the time.

Juice of one orange
2 cups Balsamic vinegar
Italian seasoning
3 cloves Garlic chopped
Pepper and salt

Marinade the quail in all the ingredients for around 4 - 8 hours. Remove the quail and brown in skillet. Add the marinade, cover and slow cook till the bird is done. Remove the quail and reduce the liquid till thick. Plate the meal and drizzle the sauce over the quail.
Dіck

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:04 pm

This should be an actual topic full time like the general chat, training, and hunting ones.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Butter Quail

Ingredients:
4 quail
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon light vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper

Preparation: Prepare the grill for medium high heat direct grilling. Lightly coat the quail with vegetable oil, then season with salt and pepper. Place the quail on the grill over direct heat, and cook 5 to 6 minutes per side. Move the birds to the cool side of the grill for 5 minutes to rest. As the quail are cooling, melt the butter. Split the quail along the breastbone, then brush with butter before serving.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:57 am

Quail with mushroom sauce
You need quail, mushrooms, heavy cream, rice, white wine, flour, oil, vegetable and your favorite spices. Start the rice. Mix flour and spices in a shaking bag. Heat oil in pan that can be covered. Shake quail in flour mixture and add to hot oil. Brown birds then deqlaze with wine, add mushrooms, and cover. Mushrooms may be chopped for more flavor. Cook till birds are tender. Add water if needed. Start your vegetable. The heavy cream is added and cooked uncovered to thicken. Serve with the rice and vegetable.
Dіck

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:59 am

Portabella cheeseburger

Very good meal instead of meat!
Two large portabrella mushrooms. Remove stem and cook, top down in a little olive oil. I sprinkled olive oil on the under side and used seasoned salt for seasoning. When the top was done I turned over and cooked till done. I turned again and put the cheese on the under side and covered till cheese melted.
Dіck

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:37 pm

I haven't tried this one yet but it sounds tasty :D :D

Honey Roasted Pheasant

1 pheasant
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Combine all ingredients but the pheasant in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat until peanut butter is melted, stirring frequently.
Place the pheasant in a roasting pan. Pour the sauce over the bird, cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, basting frequently with the drippings.

jt807

Post by jt807 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:31 pm

I would say this defenitely could be its own section.

Then there could be additional subsections for the type of bird - one for quail recipes, one for pheasant, etc.

I am not sure how much this forum wants to stick to gun dog related stuff only, but maybe there could be one for big game also?

Thanks,
Jason

High Roll-N-Angel

Post by High Roll-N-Angel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:33 am

Quail or Chukar Casserole

This is very easy to make your own and change, add or substitute items. It has been well received by many people and lots of those who've never had wild game before. It's a favorite in my house. I usually use 2 different kinds of game. I have even made it with pheasant.

1 box of Uncle Ben's Rice (I use chicken flavored or just wild rice flavor, or can use Mushroom flavor)
8 Quail breasts or 4 Chukar breasts (more or less depending on how much meat you like)
1-2 10oz Can(s) of Cream of Mushroom Soup (use 2 cans if you like a soupier casserole)
3/4 of Bag of Frozen Mixed Veggies or Peas and Carrots (or can use 2 cans of canned veggies and use whatever veggies you want)
1/2 Stick of Butter
1/3C water
A couple squirts of Lemon Juice
Soy Sauce to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste

Prepare your rice as per the box directions. Cut the quail or chukar into small cubes or slices and pan fry in olive oil BEFORE adding to casserole. Then add all ingredients to casserole dish and cook in oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or it can be done in a microwave. (Really just enough to cook all ingredients together and have them hot.)

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:29 am

cross posted difl's Snipe recipe
dlfl wrote:Snipe Breast Mediterranean

*12 aged Snipe Breast, boned
6 slices Thick Bacon, one slice for two breast
¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
¼ cup low salt Soy Sauce
1 clove minced Garlic
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon Ginger
¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt ( leave out if using regular soy salt)

Bone the breast
Mix all ingredients
Add breast to mixture marinade for at least 4 hours

Par cook the bacon to ½ done
Wrap one breast in ½ strip bacon using toothpicks to hold together.

Grill or Broil until bacon is done and breast are med rare / med.

Serve with cold beer!
* I age the whole birds in the refrigerator for at least 4-7 days. I have gone as long as 9 days.
# Note: If you do not use aged breast then add 2 cups 7UP and marinade for 12-24 hours.
@ This may also be cooked by sautéing in skillet.

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Way to go...now im hungry and going to have to try this stuff tonight! Thanks! :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:11 am

Well how did you like the snipe?
Dіck

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Sadie i tried that honey roasted bird...let me tell you that was darn good. definitely added that to my favorites.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:52 pm

There looks like there are some good ones here:

http://www.vermontquail.com/homecooking.html

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:15 pm

I am popping this back up to see if we can get some more recipes out of you guys. I am looking for some good chukar recipes. The caserole looked good I will have to try that one.

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:43 am

Grilled Five spice quail
  • 4 quail
    peanut oil
    1 tbspn sea salt
    2 tspn five spice powder
    120g spinach leaves
    steamed rice

Dressing
  • 2tbspn lime juice
    1tbspn sweet chilli sauce
    2tspn soy sauce
    1/2 tspn sesame oil

remove backbone and flatten quail, brush with a little peanut oil and rub combined sea salt and five spice powder into the skin. char grill skin side down, over medium heat for 5min, then turn over and cook approxiamately another 5min. combine all dressing ingredients season to taste, combine well in screw top jar or ziplock bag.drizzle spinach leaves with dressing and toss gently. cut quail in half and serve with spinach and steamed rice.

............tasi
i'm from under down under

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Cooked up some deer the other day, use beef broth enough to cover the roast, cook on low all day at least 10 hours till that meat falls apart, then add homemade egg noodles, thicken the sauce with corn startch or mix some water and flour, mash a bunch of taters and spread the deer.noodles over them taters, dig in. My son thinks this is some of the best eating he has done.

Had to fool the daughter when she was young to eat deer, bout 12 years ago took the boned meat to a locker had them make breakfast sausage out of it. Made gravy and biscuits all winter. She even brought over a friend or two for Dads biscuits and gravy. After it was all gone I told her it was deer, she said she didnt think it could taste that good. :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:56 pm

Venison & Noodles... YUM!!!! I tried the chuckar caserole, it was great.

Anybody getting any good recipes in the offseason?? Does anybody eat those pigeons?

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Quail and Pheasant Stew:

I just made this last week.

Ingredients:
4 quail breasts still on the bone
2 pheasant breasts still on the bone
5 or 6 whole diced mushrooms
2 celery stalks
3 carrots or enough baby carrots to make up 3 whole carrots
1/2 white onion
1 8oz. can of chicken stock
1 8 oz. can of beef stock
2 chicken bouillon cubes
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Season All Salt
Black Pepper
Poultry Seasoning
1 8 oz. can of mixed veggies- peas,carrots,potatoes,corn, etc. drained
1 8 oz. can of sweet peas drained
Vegetable Oil
Flour
Water

Pour a little vegetable oil in the bottom of a large pot and put in the mushrooms, baby or whole carrots, onion, and celery stalks after cutting them up. Season to taste with Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Season Salt, Pepper and Poultry Seasoning and cook for about 10 minutes stirring frequently until veggies are tender then dump in both 8 oz cans of meat stock and both bouillon cubes and add quail and pheasant breasts and add enough water to cover the breasts by about an inch or two and season everything again with the Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Season Salt, Pepper, and Poultry Seasoning. Let boil at a medium boil until soup base is even with the top of the birds about an hour or hour and a half or so. Remove breasts from the soup and then take meat off of bones and discard breast bones, add meat back to soup base, pour in cans of sweet peas and mixed vegetables and season pot to taste with all of the seasonings again just to make sure you have it tasting like you want after adding the veggies and meat back to it. Let soup cook for about another 30-45 mins. to allow flavors to combine and then mix a small cup of water and flour together and add to the pot as a thickener, a little at a time until you get the desired thickness. I like mine more like a stew rather than a soup but it is good either way.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:57 am

Gamebird Stroganoff

2 pheasants,3 blue grouse, 4 ruff grouse or 5 chukars
flour
olive oil
1 medium onion
6 cloves of garlic
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 8 oz cup of low fat plain yougart(you can substitute sour cream if your not on the "side meat reduction plan" like I am)
1 lb of mushrooms
Lawry's salt
Pepper
wide egg noodles

Bone the birds (including leg meat) and cut into bite size pieces. Flour the pieces and put in a frying pan with cut up onions and diced garlic. Saute until brown. Add soup, yougart and mushrooms and seasonings to taste. Simmer for half and hour and serve over wide egg noodle with the libation of your choice. Mine is Alaska Amber. :D

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Can't believe my favorite has yet to be posted. It's for a hungarian quail soup (Becsinalt Fogolyleves) Nice and hearty, great for the dead of winter and only takes three birds! (add more depending on your success). You can also serve it with traditional dumplings if you don't like liver or marrow dumplings.

Clean quail and cut into serving pieces. Melt butter and lart in soup pot. Brown quail very rapidly for a few minutes; then add vegetables, mushrooms and 1/2 cup water. Cook slowly, uncovered, until water almost disappears. By this time, quail should be quite done. Add flour, parsley and salt; stir well. Add meat stock; bring to a boil. Cook over very low heat for a few more minutes. Just before serving, mix in the sour cream. Serve liver dumplings or marrow dumpling in the soup

Measure Ingredient
3 Quail
1 tablespoon Butter, unsalted
1 tablespoon Lard
2 Carrots; sliced
1 small Onions; sliced
1 cup Peas; shelled
4 Mushroom caps; sliced Boletus if possible
2 tablespoons Flour, all-purpose
1 teaspoon Parlsey, flat; chopped
1 pinch Salt
6 cups Stock, meat
¼ cup Sour cream

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:57 am

Serve liver dumplings or marrow dumpling in the soup
OK, I will bite :oops: What is the recipe for liver/marrow dumplings?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Here is one for liver dumplings.

1 pound raw liver
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 dash salt, divided
ground black pepper to taste
2 quarts boiling beef broth

Grind liver in a food processor until smooth. Blend in bread crumbs, egg, flour, salt and pepper. Using a wet spoon, drop spoonfuls into boiling broth. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:35 pm

Sorry, but now you got me off on a different tangent. Does it make a difference on what kind of liver you use? i.e. beef, pig, chicken, deer, etc.
Also had a great thought now that you got me going down this thought trail. Most people (me included) think that Woodcock tastes like liver. Has anyone tried this dumpling recipe using Woodcock?
Groucho Marx

Jmackk

Post by Jmackk » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:43 pm

Okay, this one is really simple and I like to do my quail like this, can be done over any fire or grill. Place quail in bowle full of cold salt water(size of bowle depends on number of quail) Let them site for a few hourse the fridge. (help get ride of any "gamie" tast) Then take out of bowle and place on BBQ(or open fire) untile golden brown and/or tender. Very good and very easy.

P.S. work with dove too.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Sadie__Marie wrote::idea: Hello I pm'd grant suggesting a seperate section on the board index for recipes. Then I thought that it might be putting the cart before the horse. So I'm hoping to start a thread (hopefully popular) for everbody's favorite recipes for the game that we devote so much time pursuing. :idea:
Seems to be popular! I added a wild game recipe section: viewforum.php?f=104

Enjoy, and thanks for the suggestion!

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:39 am

I don't think so Ken. I have had dumplings before with poultry and deer liver. It all kinda tastes the same to me. I just make plain dumplings to go in this soup a lot. I just make them much thinner and smaller than normal.

I think the woodcock idea is a great one. I plan on going on my first woodcock trip this year in South Louisiana, so maybe I'll try that.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Sadie__Marie wrote:cross posted difl's Snipe recipe
dlfl wrote:Snipe Breast Mediterranean

*12 aged Snipe Breast, boned
6 slices Thick Bacon, one slice for two breast
¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
¼ cup low salt Soy Sauce
1 clove minced Garlic
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon Ginger
¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt ( leave out if using regular soy salt)

.....page2.................
I am not into cooking, but this was an easy one that I actually had the ingredients on hand for. I made the marinade for chunked up pheasant and pan fried it in butter. It was so good, I was stealing cold leftover pieces from the fridge all night. :wink:

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:53 pm

My favorite is to take about 25 quail breast halfs and wrap with a third of bacon and soak in basalmic dressing .throw them on a hot grill till bacon starts to cook then smoother in homemade bbq sauce. They will be gone in a few minutes.

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 pm

markj wrote:Cooked up some deer the other day, use beef broth enough to cover the roast, cook on low all day at least 10 hours till that meat falls apart, then add homemade egg noodles, thicken the sauce with corn startch or mix some water and flour, mash a bunch of taters and spread the deer.noodles over them taters, dig in.
When you add the noodles do you cook them in the venison, beef broth potion or do you cook them seperately in water, then drain, then add to the potion?
Groucho Marx

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:59 pm

quail or dove breasts halves....take and cut jalepenos long ways, remove seeds, place breast in between jalepenos, wrap in bacon and smoke over heavy mesquite smoke @ 275 until the bacon is crispy

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Ken Lynch wrote:
markj wrote:Cooked up some deer the other day, use beef broth enough to cover the roast, cook on low all day at least 10 hours till that meat falls apart, then add homemade egg noodles, thicken the sauce with corn startch or mix some water and flour, mash a bunch of taters and spread the deer.noodles over them taters, dig in.
When you add the noodles do you cook them in the venison, beef broth potion or do you cook them seperately in water, then drain, then add to the potion?
Since it's been a week and markj hasn't replied I'll add my 2 cents. I'd cook the broth and venison, then cook the noodles in the venison & broth... This is a favorite around our house. We just never thought of using venison. Chicken, Beef, Pheasant, and Chuckar all work well with this also.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:06 am

I know that this thread just recently got its own subforum. It would be much easier for a viewer, though, to have each recipe listed as its own thread. Then comments can be had on each individual recipe, and someone looking for a particular recipe doesn't have to browse through page after page of a single thread to find it (and then even more browsing to find comments about how it tastes).

Please, for all new recipes, post a new thread within this subforum. Thanks!

(I'm going to lock this thread now to encourage just that. If you've posted a recipe in this thread, please feel free to copy and paste it into its new, individual thread.)
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux