Pheasant & Wild Rice Soup

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:24 pm

This recipe is out of Essential Game Bird Recipes from Pheasants Forever. It was submitted by Juania Gale of Phillipsburg KS and happens to be a favorite of mine. (hopufully PF doesn't mind me sharing the state secrets) I'ts a fantastic cook book with many more wonderfull recipes. the $$$ goes to a good cause you should buy it!!

Ingredients:3 whole pheasant breast, 1 Large chopped onion, 1/2 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms or 2 (4oz.) cans drained, 1stick (4 oz.) butter, 1 cup flour, 1(10 3/4 oz.)cream of potato soup, 8 cups hot chicken broth, 6 cups cooked wild rice, 1/8 teaspoon thyme, 1/8 teaspoot poultry seasoning, 1/8 teaspoon sage, 1lb. bacon cooked and crumbled

Dirctions: Boil Pheasant in water until tender. Cool and debone pheasant. Dice and set aside. In large Dutch oven saute onions and mushrooms in butter. Sprinkle in flour, stirring constantly until well blended. Add soup, and mix well. Add hot broth, stirring untill well blended. Add wild rice, seosonings , phesant and bacon. Heat over medium-low heat untill almost boiling. Be sure not to boil. Garnish with sage.

I will add that I like to brown the pheasant in a skillet on med-high heat before boiling.