Sharptail grouse recipes

Vonrommel

Sharptail grouse recipes

Post by Vonrommel » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:24 pm

I need some sharptail grouse recipes. I will be having quiet a few friends over next week and I need a different recipe for the dark meat birds. Anyone have a good one???

Ditch__Parrot

Re: Sharptail grouse recipes

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:02 pm

Sorry a little late. The Grouse in Sour Cream recipe http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 04&t=20529 is pretty tasty. I've had it with pheasant and prairie chickens now but not shaptails. :cry: It would be an easy one to multiply for a large group.

Hopefully this coming season I'll bring home a few more chickens to try out some more chicken/sharptail recipes to post.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Here is one that I use for grilling sharptails. Cut sharptails up so you have 2 breast fillets, two tenderloins(muscle just below breast meat) two legs(thigh and drumstick), two wings. Soak in salt water to remove blood. Cut breasts length wise to the approximate size of tenderloins and marinate all of the meat in fridge for 2 hours. Use this marinade mixture for each boned bird.

1/2 cup oriental marinade (I like Yoshida)
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp red pepper

Grill over hot coals for 2-3 minutes per side. My experience is that dark meat birds are best when they are served without body bones (breast bone, and back), with as much blood as can be removed and cooked rare. I like this with a salad and brown or wild rice. And a good beer or red wine just seals the deal.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:40 am

I've never made Sharptail before but I've found that this recipe works well for Woodcock which are also a dark meat bird:

Woodcock in whiskey cream Sauce

Sear salt and peppered filleted breasts on high heat in a neutral oil (peanut, safflower, canola, etc)
Remove breasts to a plate, drain oil from pan and add the following:

3 tablespoons butter
Olive oil
2 whole shallots
1 diced jalapeno seeded and de-veined
Sautee shallots until they are translucent

Deglaze pan with 1/4 - 1/3 cup of whiskey of your choosing, let reduce by half
Whisk in 1 pt of heavy whipping cream (or more depending on the size of the dish that you're making. I find that 1 pt is good for 2 servings)

Add breast meat back to the pan and cook to desired doneness. I find that rare - medium rare works best for dark meat birds.

Serve over wild rice

ArcticRetrievers

Post by ArcticRetrievers » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:43 am

The recipe Above Was excellent on...Spruce Grouse...The Family wanted to Taste the Difference between Ruffies and spruce, So we made 2 different recipes with 4 different tastes. That was an awesome recipe!!! I will be doing it again.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:17 am

My favorite way to cook Sharptail is cut in strips, roll in flour, salt, pepper and "lightly" fry in olive oil...Might not be cool to cook for company, but to me you can't beat it..Do not over cook...You can filet the breasts and salt and pepper and broil on each side for 3 minutes also...
brenda

porton

Post by porton » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:10 am

Here is one that I use for grilling sharptails. Cut sharptails up so you have 2 breast fillets, two tenderloins(muscle just below breast meat) two legs(thigh and drumstick), two wings. Soak in salt water to remove blood. Cut breasts length wise