GAME BIRD RECIPE'S..

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

GAME BIRD RECIPE'S..

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:24 am

We got some pheasants the other day and usually i cook them in apple juice in the oven with some orange slices on top also we usually make goose jerky with our geese but i want to do something different..does anyone have good recipes to share?...thanks...ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Re: GAME BIRD RECIPE'S..

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:44 am

Being a saurerkraut lover, have you ever tried phez or grouse cooked surrounded with kraut and apple slices? yum, yum.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 am

Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:Being a saurerkraut lover, have you ever tried phez or grouse cooked surrounded with kraut and apple slices? yum, yum.
Never tried that..and i too love saurerkraut especially with kelbassa so ill have to give it a try sounds good!! thanks...ruth

scmelik

Post by scmelik » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:04 am

I have quite a few receipes that I have come up with over the years for pheasants, unfortunately I am about 1200 miles from my kitchen right now so I can't get to them quite yet, but I do know my favorite!!

Ingredients:

4-6 pheasant breasts
thinly sliced ham
shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 10.5oz cans of cream of mushroom soup
flour
salt & pepper to taste

Take your deboned breasts and put them between two pieces of plastic wrap and with a mallet pound them out till they are nice and thin no more than 1/2" (I like to try and get closer to 1/4" if I can).

Take the one of the flattened breasts and place a slice or two of ham and then a layer of the cheese leaving a space around the edges so you can tuck it in to seal it up. Roll them up as well as you can doing your best to close up the edges and secure with a toothpick or two. Repeat on the remaining breasts.

Once all the breasts are filled and rolled up lightly coat them in the lightly seasoned flour. Preheat a pan and with about 1 tbl spoon of olive oil and place breasts into pan to sear. Sear each breast quickly on all sides and then turn the heat to low. Add cream of mushroom soup and place lid on pan. Let cook for about an hour or so.

I like to serve this with wild rice and a nice Pinot.
Scott

no dogs currently, looking for a new pup probably a setter.

Forget about the ending and enjoy the story that takes you to the ending

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 am

scmelik wrote:I have quite a few receipes that I have come up with over the years for pheasants, unfortunately I am about 1200 miles from my kitchen right now so I can't get to them quite yet, but I do know my favorite!!

Ingredients:

4-6 pheasant breasts
thinly sliced ham
shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 10.5oz cans of cream of mushroom soup
flour
salt & pepper to taste

Take your deboned breasts and put them between two pieces of plastic wrap and with a mallet pound them out till they are nice and thin no more than 1/2" (I like to try and get closer to 1/4" if I can).

Take the one of the flattened breasts and place a slice or two of ham and then a layer of the cheese leaving a space around the edges so you can tuck it in to seal it up. Roll them up as well as you can doing your best to close up the edges and secure with a toothpick or two. Repeat on the remaining breasts.

Once all the breasts are filled and rolled up lightly coat them in the lightly seasoned flour. Preheat a pan and with about 1 tbl spoon of olive oil and place breasts into pan to sear. Sear each breast quickly on all sides and then turn the heat to low. Add cream of mushroom soup and place lid on pan. Let cook for about an hour or so.

I like to serve this with wild rice and a nice Pinot.
That sounds so good..i gotta go out and get some ham today..thanks....ruth

scmelik

Post by scmelik » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:36 am

no problem Ruth. When I get back home I will break out my other recipes and get them up here for everyone.
Scott

no dogs currently, looking for a new pup probably a setter.

Forget about the ending and enjoy the story that takes you to the ending

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:13 am

I love cutting them into 3 to 4 inch pieces, rolling them in mustard and throw them in bread crumbs and toss them in the turkey fryer. Mustard isn't a strong taste, my wife thought she wouldn't like them because of the mustard, but it really brings the flavor out. Throw some tobasco sauce and enjoy.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:09 am

jkoehler wrote:I love cutting them into 3 to 4 inch pieces, rolling them in mustard and throw them in bread crumbs and toss them in the turkey fryer. Mustard isn't a strong taste, my wife thought she wouldn't like them because of the mustard, but it really brings the flavor out. Throw some tobasco sauce and enjoy.
Mustard hmm never thought of that one..it sounds good though..thats how i like fish is in bread crumbs too so why not :D ...thanks...ruth

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:02 am

Take your crock pot and cut up some celery and layer that on the bottom. Then add some pheasant breasts, I usually use 2-3 birds or 4-6 breasts. Then take a bowl and mix in 2 cups wild rice (cooked) with a can of mushrooms a can of cream of mushroom soup and a half cup of milk. Mix together and pour that on the pheasant and turn on low for 4-6 hours. Fantastic. Saw this on a website for chicken and used pheasant and it was great. I am going to add carrots and peppers and onions next time and see how it goes.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 am

I like to do pheasant in the crockpot also. I layer the bottom with potato chunks, baby carrots, and a little onion. I'd love to add mushrooms too, but my husband would spend 3 days picking them back out, so those would have to be on the side. Add the breasts. Season with a little McCormick Montreal Chicken seasoning, a little salt, and ground pepper. Top that with a can of mushroom soup and some red cooking wine--around 1/4 cup.

The other night, I baked skinless chicken breasts rolled in crushed Durkee Fried onions. Boy was that good, and I'm sure it would work with pheasant too.

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:50 pm

I know a lot of people don't save pheasant legs, but I do and here is a great recipe for them. Save a bunch and put them in a crockpot and cover with water. Put on low for about 6 hours or until the meat just falls off the bone. Take them out and pull the meat off the bones, the legs always have a TON of tendons in them and this stiffens them up and they are pretty easy to remove. at this point, I always package them up in bags and vacuum seal them and freeze them for later use. When I do use them they are always shredded from getting pulled off the bones so I put them in a pan with 2 stalks of celery cut up, about 1/4 onion diced and fry them up. I then add a can of cream of chicken soup and heat up. Makes delicious cream of pheasant to either put on buns (which I do and is delicious) or put on top of biscuits. Great way to use up all the bird.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:56 pm

You people dont pluck your birds? :mrgreen:
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:09 pm

A crock pot now thats something i didnt think of..im trying that for sure!!!..thanks..ruth

rice8702

Post by rice8702 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:18 pm

I saw a great receipe once that was similar to a philly cheese steak sandwich. it looked really good. Does anyone have this or heard of it?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm

rice8702 wrote:I saw a great receipe once that was similar to a philly cheese steak sandwich. it looked really good. Does anyone have this or heard of it?
never heard of it but if you find it out post it on here :mrgreen: ....ruth

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:16 pm

We use the same recipe as scmelik posted, however we fry it in a few inches of oil and we don't add the soup. It comes out like looking like chicken Kiev.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:45 pm

nikegundog wrote:We use the same recipe as scmelik posted, however we fry it in a few inches of oil and we don't add the soup. It comes out like looking like chicken Kiev.
It was very good and i did some with and without the soup cause my hubby loves mushrooms, i can take them or leave them but tried it both ways and it really is tastey..thanks....ruth

Green

Post by Green » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:34 am

Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:Being a saurerkraut lover, have you ever tried phez or grouse cooked surrounded with kraut and apple slices? yum, yum.
This is how I normally cook it. In a crock pot surrounded by Bavarian style kraut and apple wedges.

Ice Shack Baby

Post by Ice Shack Baby » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm new to the site but I figure I would start out with one of my recipes:

Chipotle Pepper Cream Sauce w/ Chicken or Pheasant

3 Red Bell Peppers
3 Cloves of Garlic
3 oz. Chipotle Peppers
1 can Diced Tomatoes
1 tbspn Oregano
1 tbspn Italian Seasoning
8 oz Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 lb Chicken Breasts or Pheasant
2 oz Vegetable Oil
1 qt Heavy Whipping Cream

Pasta of your choice, Penne or Tortellini works best

Cut and trim Bell Peppers into pieces. Peel Garlic Cloves put all into a frying pan with the Vegetable oil. Cook all ingredients to al dente (cook until soft, but still semi crispy) By the way this will smell awesome! After cooking to al dente, put in blender with a little bit of Heavy Whipping Cream, Chipotle Peppers and puree until completely liquified. After liquified add the can of Diced Tomatoes, Oregano, Italian Seasoning and blend well with sauce. Return to frying pan and put on low heat. Add the balance of the Heavy Whipping Cream, and add the Cream Cheese and Parmesan Cheese and simmer until the sauce is thick enough for your likening.

While the sauces is thickening, cook your Chicken or Pheasant and season. I like using something that has Rosemary to give it a little bit sweeter taste. You can also cook the pasta of your choice. After all is completed, trim the poultry to bite size pieces and stir into sauce.

TRoberts

Post by TRoberts » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 pm

What a great post! Thanks to all for sharing their recipes and ideas!!!

Travis
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Tiogamountainman

Post by Tiogamountainman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:03 am

If you have a good chicken corn soup recipe substitute the chicken with pheasant Its delish