Dutch Oven Garlic Rosemary Venison Rump

john36350

Dutch Oven Garlic Rosemary Venison Rump

Post by john36350 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:40 pm

I know its a little out of season for venison stew but I tried this last winter and thought I would throw something up to contribute b/c i didn't see anything like it. My family loved it! I got the recipe out of an Outdoor magazine. Good luck to those who dare :-)

4-6 lb boned out rump cut
8 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
1 Tbs cracked black pepper
Kosher salt
Leaves from 2 sprigs rosemary
3 whole sprigs rosemary
several Tbs olive oil
2-3 large carrots, peeled chopped
2 celery stalks, washed and chopped
1/2 large Spanish onion, peeled and chopped
1 cup of good quality red wine
6 stewed plum tomatoes (canned)
6 plus cups unsalted beef stock or bouillon
12-14 cippolini onions, skin removed
6 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 Tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Remove silver skin/ sinew and excess fat from roast. Rub meat with several of the crushed cloves of garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tie the meat into a roast.

2. Using a long, thin knife, pierce the roast several inches deep in a half dozen evenly spaced areas. Using a teaspoon handle, push crushed garlic pieces and rosemary leaves into the slits. Rub roast with olive oil.

3. Preheat oven to 350 F

4. Place Dutch oven on stove over high heat. When pot is hot, sear roast, browning on all sides. Remove roast and reduce heat to medium. Add 1-2 Tbs olive oil. Saute carrots, celery and onions to brown.

5. Add roast back to pot. Pour red wine over roast. Add stewed tomatoes. Add stock to cover. Bring to simmer on stovetop. Cover with lid and place in preheated oven.

6. After rump goes in the oven prepare cippolini onions and parsnips. Place large saute pan on stovetop over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and saute to brown. Set aside.

7. One hour into cooking rump add vegetables to pot and replace lid. Cook additional 30-60 minutes until the meat is fork tender.

Bird Dog 67

Re: Dutch Oven Garlic Rosemary Venison Rump

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:03 am

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd now I'm hungry!