5-5-1 Chili Recipe

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

5-5-1 Chili Recipe

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:28 am

This is my basic chili receipe. Super easy. It's a great starting point for your own variation.

5 lbs of ground whatever. Ground chuck, ground venison, etc.
5 cans of beans. Mix Bush's chili beans and kidney beans to taste. Start at 3/2
5 cans of diced tomatoes. Mix chili receipe and plain to taste. Start at 3/2
1 large vidalia onion diced. Substitute two smaller.
1 box Caroll Shelby Original Texas Chili kit.

---

1. Dice the onion.
2. Brown the meat and onions together till meat cooked. You can add garlic powder or whatever while browning.
3. Drain off the fat.
4. Add beans, tomatoes and chili kit.
5. Simmer on super-low till flavors integrated.

Enjoy

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: 5-5-1 Chili Recipe

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:52 am

Hi guys,

I'm currently making this with 6 pounds of ground meat, the chili powder package from 2 Carol Shelby's chili recipe boxes, just one masa flour package. I use both cayenne packages and neither salt. 5 cans of Bush's best chili beans (medium or a mix of mild and hot) and 5 cans of Del Monte chili ready diced tomatoes. Two large sweet onions, two bell peppers. I add water till it's the right consistency to simmer.

Have fun.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Greg,

You're obviously not from the Great State of Texas where chili has no beans! Looks like a good recipe though - I will try it this weekend with venison.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:42 pm

I have been using Shelby' s products since he owned and ran the company. I skip the beans, do add the diced onion, plus a cup of chunky picante, some garlic powder, and a pound of stew meat (usual venison, but beef or pork will work).

But here is a tip you won't hear repeated often, but direct from Mr. Shelby, cook it as directed and then refrigerate it for at least 24 hours. Serve with jalapeno corn muffins and real butter. :D :D :D

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:08 am

Nope. I'm from TN. We add beans as an extender to make it less expensive. Some people even add spaghetti noodles also. I've used the chili as a spaghetti sauce, but never added the noodles to the pot.

I usually make a large batch and eat on it for a while. There is something about chili, spaghetti sauce and a few other dishes that spending overnight in the frig improves.

You might try doing it with the next pork shoulder that you smoke. Inject it, apply rub liberally and then let it rest in the frig for a couple of hours.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:31 am

Nice recipe. I use these tomatoes that are diced up with hot peppers. Cant remember the exact name. We also put the chili over spaghetti :) is a good taste, better than Italian sauce IMHO. Beans are usefull too, the sound of music sorta thing and my son toots the horn very well :)

I do make texas chili, but I do miss the beans. so it isn't often.

Shelby chili mix is great.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:25 pm

RoostersMom wrote:... where chili has no beans!
My thoughts exactly! I usually use about 4 cans of beans (drained, mix of kidney, pinto and black),a couple of onions, some garlic, one can of diced tomatoes, and one of Penzey's various chili powders (usually chili con carne or chili 9000) power pound of meat. Last year I shot my first antelope and deer, so we've been making a lot of chillis this year. I even get my predominantly vegan mother to eat it - I tell her it's made with happy meat. I'll have to look into the Shelby's seasoning. This is the beauty of chili, there are so many ways to make an excellent pot and it's a lot of fun to experiment with.