How to cook whole pheasant?

goalie805

How to cook whole pheasant?

Post by goalie805 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Just looking for some good recipes/tips for keeping whole or halved pheasants tender when roasting. Also has anyone tried doing them whole in the slow cooker? Or are the legs pretty tough no matter what?

Thanks

Bird Dog 67

Re: How to cook whole pheasant?

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:14 am

Legs are going to be tougher than the rest of the bird regardless and their full of tendons so there's that to factor in. I've found that if I'm going to roast a whole bird there a few different techniques that can help.

Brine them for 24 hours before roasting

Put them in an oven bag to roast

Layer bacon over the breast for roasting

Injector marinate can also help and keep the bird moist.

I find that the slow cookers/ crock pots tend to dry out the birds that I've made in them and just use the oven. Hope this helps!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 pm

My Dad always wanted them bakedd in Oven Pit Bar B Que sauce, then we dipped the meat into the cooked sauce/juice mix.

Otherwise, I take them and put some butter into a skillet with onion and garlic, after the yjust start to turn color, toss in some good brandy. Cook it off, add mix to a oven roaster, add more garlic, heavy whipping cream, some shalloots, a little more brandy some small potatoes, cook 325 till taters are tender. Eat it up. Is very good and will put some fat on ya for sure.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

SHaRPS

Post by SHaRPS » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Little trick for the pheasant tendons - place legs on edge of table so that the meat is hanging over almost an inch. Snap the bone in this part with hammer or whatever. Now you can use pliers to pull the tendons straight out of leg. This is done best once the bird is aged (but does not have to be) so that you don't pull meat out with tendons.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:47 pm

I like to split them and throw them on the grill. I did these the other night with some pepper, kosher salt and paprika, then a little Jack Daniels bbq sauce. the legs do come out tough, but edible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.