Smoking Recipes

crappieguy

Smoking Recipes

Post by crappieguy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:30 am

Any of you boys got any real good bird and fish smokin' recipes. Dry or brine are ok with me!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: Smoking Recipes

Post by markj » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Fish I use a mix of salt and brown sugar, rub into the fish, smoke it up till done. Kids will eat this even if the yhate fish. Use maple or any lite smoke type wood.

Wild game birds I use a wet brine of water, salt and some sugar. 24 hours in this is best, wrap in cheesecloth and keep it moist use a water pan over the heat source to keep things moist. Dont over cook them. Works great on wild turkey.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

deke

Post by deke » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:41 pm

I do a few different fish brines, and I don't have my book with me at work , but the sugar to salt ratios will be the same for most fish brines.

? cups sea salt ( I think 2)
? cups brown sugar ( I think 3)
4 cups apple juice and put in microwave to dissolve sugar and salt, then cool until at least room temp
Add fish filets, or strips ( depending on how big your smoker is)
Fill bowl with apple juice, and mix with hands , place in fridge over night
Take out of fridge and dry the fish under a fan for a few hours until it no longer looks wet, you are looking for a tacky film to develop
rub each filet with maple syrup ( the better the syrup the better the taste - don't use Mrs. Butterworth)
Smoke for at least 6 hours, then turn down the smoke and let it dry out to your taste, I like mine dry, usually about twelve hours.
This is my personal favorite, and I usually do about 200 lbs per year of salmon this way.

My next favorite has the same basic steps, except switch apple juice for half water half orange juice, and add a bottle of soy sauce into the brine. and when its all ready to hit the smoker, instead of using maple syrup I use a Jalapeno salt and lots of black pepper. It is best to put the dry ingredients on the fish when it is still a bit wet so that they will stick.

This is very good in smoked salmon dip, little bit of spice but not to much.

If you try those and need more, or more information then I have given let me know and I will try to help you out as much as possible.

mboss

Post by mboss » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:46 am

I did this on my first wild turkey kill and it was fantastic. Since have done it on pheasant as well. Recipe if from Williams-Sonoma of all places but it works great.

For the Cajun rub:
2 Tbs. chili powder
1 Tbs. sweet paprika
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried onion flakes
1 tsp. dried garlic flakes
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper

To make the Cajun rub, in a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, paprika, thyme, oregano, onion flakes, garlic flakes, sugar and cayenne. The rub can be made up to 2 weeks in advance and stored, tightly covered, at cool room temperature.

To make the Cajun brine, in a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 3 Tbs. of the Cajun rub, the 1/4 cup coarse ground salt and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt. Remove from the heat and let cool completely, then transfer to a large, deep, nonreactive container that will hold the turkey breast. Rinse the turkey breast halves and add them to the brine, then add enough water to cover the turkey breast halves completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before smoking.

Pat it dry and smoke. For a split turkey breast I run my Bradley at 250 and it takes about 2 hours. For the Pheasant it really depends on size of the bird, if left whole vs. breast, etc. I like Hickory smoke for these, Mesquite adds a little much extra spice as this has a good spice already in the brine. I like to slice this up and pile it on a bun to serve.

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:21 pm

Brine the whole breast in a mixture of water, salt, brown sugar and worchestershire sauce. Then smoke with Jack Daniels Smoke Chips. That's my favorite. You can then go to work on cutting off chunks when its finished and it adds a great flavor to wild rice soup.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm

My favorite smoked kokanee, whitefish, trout or salmon recipe.

Brine:
1 c. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper
10 c. water
Brine between 12 to 24 hours depending on amount of fish.

Soak apple wood and use left over soaking water in a bowl to wet smoke over charcoal and apple wood. Smoke until coals are cold.