Best way to cook bird

SpinoneIllinois

Best way to cook bird

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Sat May 19, 2012 8:16 am

I've tried dozens of ways to cook game birds, but I always go back to the basics: Just dredge nugget-sized pieces of breast in Andy's Fish Breading and fry. I like the red variety, not to be confused with the cajun variety. I swear, you could fry a catcher's mitt in this stuff and it would be marvelous.
Not the best way to cook when you're on a health kick, but I figure I can splurge once in a while for the birds that my pooch has put so much effort into.
I've found it to be pretty widely distributed, but if not in your area, go to andysseasoning.com.

ibbowhunting

Re: Best way to cook bird

Post by ibbowhunting » Sat May 19, 2012 9:26 am

Ruffed grouse, bisquick season to taste mostly salt, pepper, lawry's seasoned salt .you should get about 6 nice strips from a grouse breast depend on who shot it. roll in bisquick, pan fried in a 1" or less oil, my inlaws add a white gravy on top after you have fried them i lovem without gravy they are they best chicken strips i ever had, thats what i tell the newbies that say the dont eat grouse, that its chicken they fall for it every time and say it the best chicken they ever tasted :lol:

Fester

Post by Fester » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:19 am

Old thread ... but what the heck..

I have used this Louisiana brand fried chicken dredge. http://louisianafishfry.elsstore.com/vi ... 4&cid=2060

Nice and spicey and crispy. With quail, I just fillet the breasts off with a butter knife and you "quail nuggets".

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:42 am

WARNING: do not read this thread when hungry.

Want something a little more healthful? Marinate a couple hours in balsamic vinegar salad dressing plus a couple tablespoons of Dijon mustard. Grill hot and fast. Share with your vegan friends. Be prepared to make more.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:50 pm

I am not exactly sure what causes the difference but if you like your finished product a bit flaky-er (spelling?), try running your bird through buttermilk first. Same goes with some thinly sliced onions. I can barely get it to the table before the kids have cleaned the plate. Yeaaaahhhh buddy!!!!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:46 am

I like to marinade breasts in a cheap blackberry wine hit it with salt and pepper and grill it fast. I also like it fried then covered in white gravy. My wife's favorite is pheasant Parmesan.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.