Ideas for deer?

Double Shot Banks

Ideas for deer?

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Just shot my first deer, was wondering if anyone has any really good recipies. we are getting deer sticks made and we have tons of steaks
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Ideas for deer?

Post by nikegundog » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:28 pm

The very first thing to be done is to eat the tenderloin the day it is shot, just slice it in about 1/4" pieces (medallions), dip it in flour and fry it in butter, its that simply don't ruin it by trying to get fancy and DO NOT OVER COOK IT.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 pm

nikegundog wrote:The very first thing to be done is to eat the tenderloin the day it is shot, just slice it in about 1/4" pieces (medallions), dip it in flour and fry it in butter, its that simply don't ruin it by trying to get fancy and DO NOT OVER COOK IT.

already did that, delicious!
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 am

Season steaks with olive oil and pepper seasoning. Grill to rare/medium rare - don't over cook!
Single Man Recipe: Put roast in crock pot, add one can of Coke, one jar of Chili sauce. Start crock pot on low in morning, come home from work and eat! Make potatoes and salad as sides.

Sfd714

Post by Sfd714 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:20 pm

PntrRookie wrote:Season steaks with olive oil and pepper seasoning. Grill to rare/medium rare - don't over cook!
Single Man Recipe: Put roast in crock pot, add one can of COKE, one jar of Chili sauce. Start crock pot on low in morning, come home from work and eat! Make potatoes and salad as sides.
A can of coke? Really?

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Yep. The sugar gives it a sweetness n the acid takes some of the gamey taste out. Good for moisture too.

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm

PntrRookie wrote:Season steaks with olive oil and pepper seasoning. Grill to rare/medium rare - don't over cook!
Single Man Recipe: Put roast in crock pot, add one can of Coke, one jar of Chili sauce. Start crock pot on low in morning, come home from work and eat! Make potatoes and salad as sides.
try double sarsparilla (think you blokes call it root beer) instead of the coke & french onion soup mix instead of the chilli.
i'm from under down under

Jaucho

Post by Jaucho » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am

Marinate in Italian dressing, grill to medium rare. This is also great on gamebirds , though cook thoroughly.

highspeed

Post by highspeed » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:02 am

saturate in olive oil with some garlic, all day in a bag. I like to add some seasoning.....I personally like the Robertson Seasoning (Duck Commander) added with this mixture. Then fry it in olive oil with a pinch of pepper. Taste is amazing.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:Just shot my first deer, was wondering if anyone has any really good recipies. we are getting deer sticks made and we have tons of steaks
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
Congrats on your first deer young man.... It took me a lot longer to bag my first one. I might have been 18 when I shot my first deer...

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:29 pm

I tenderize my non-tenderloin steaks with a meat tenderizer, pat them in flower, and fry them like liver in onions and portabellas. A little Lawrys, Garlic, and Slap Yo Momma cajun seasoning. Pretty good that way. Again though, as evrybody else stated, don't overcook so it doesn't get to dry.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Backstraps....Cut 1 1/2 thick pieces accross the grain and wrap the perimeter with Bacon hold it on with toothpicks. It is basically a filet mignon. (RARE) Cutting the backstrap up to fry with onions, IMO, is sacriligious!

Sirloin Tip...Roast that is shaped like a football if taken off right and whole. Unfortunately, they usually cut it up for stew meat (HUGE MiSTAKE). This piece is better than the tenderloins for the reasons below. Season and bake like a roast beef until 130 degrees in the center. Cool overnight. Find a friend who has a Deli meat slicer or a deli that is willing to slice it for you. Shave it thin, not paper thin, but thin slices.

1) Place a piece of Horseradish Cheddar on top of a cracker or thin piece of French Bread toast (Crostini) place a piece of the meat on top and serve as an appetizer.

2) On an onion roll, make a sandwich with it and top with Horseradish Cheddar cheese and Cole Slaw.

3) On american bread, just make a Hot Open Faced sandwich by heating some of the slices in a microwave put on top of the bread and smother with Brown Gravy.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Don't forget to have some jalepeno/cheese summer sausage made up!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Sfd714 wrote:
Single Man Recipe: Put roast in crock pot, add one can of COKE, one jar of Chili sauce. Start crock pot on low in morning, come home from work and eat! Make potatoes and salad as sides.
A can of coke? Really?
Sprite is better.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:00 am

doco wrote:Backstraps....Cut 1 1/2 thick pieces accross the grain and wrap the perimeter with Bacon hold it on with toothpicks. It is basically a filet mignon. (RARE) Cutting the backstrap up to fry with onions, IMO, is sacriligious!
I would never do that... In my post I stated steaks other than tenderloins. And yes, backstraps are virtually the same cut as a tenderloin. I will usually cut the Hind Quarters into steaks as apposed to leaving it as a roast. I can get a couple of roast out of the deer as well, but much of the Hind Quarter (like a New York Stip/Porterhouse in Beef) makes really great stakes. The reason I tenderize them and fry them is because they abviously are not as tender as the tenderloin/backstraps.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:49 pm

The backstraps are a New York Strip steak. They are called New York Strip because the tenderloin has been "stripped" to use as filet mignon. The difference between a Porterhouse and a T-Bone steak is the size of the tenderloin left attached. When the tenderloin runs out towards the head end you have a Club Steak. From the hind of the beef you get the Sirloin, Rump and Round steaks/roasts.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:09 pm

slistoe wrote:The backstraps are a New York Strip steak. They are called New York Strip because the tenderloin has been "stripped" to use as filet mignon. The difference between a Porterhouse and a T-Bone steak is the size of the tenderloin left attached. When the tenderloin runs out towards the head end you have a Club Steak. From the hind of the beef you get the Sirloin, Rump and Round steaks/roasts.
These are the steaks I refer to. I apologize, my dad is the butcher in the family. I usually just cut how he tells me to cut:) The round steaks, and sirloin are the steaks I will usually tenderize and bread and fry with the onions. I just ate tenderloins cut up and browned in olive oil two nights ago. I made a wild mushroom risotto to go with. It was pretty good. Everything from the front quarters legs is either cut up for stew meat or ground with a 50/50 mix of hamburger for jerky.

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Cut any of the steak into pieces about the size of half of your palm. Wrap in half a slice of bacon ( I prefer thick bacon) and put two toothpicks through bacon and deer steak. Marinate in Dale's seasoning (http://www.dalesseasoning.com/) for a few hours and grill. You will never taste deer any better!

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

asc

Post by asc » Mon May 27, 2013 2:25 pm

I cut the backstraps out for frying or searing, everything else I grind(though will sometimes cut a steak off the ham) with about 20-25% beef fat..

Tacos, burgers, meatballs and gravy, chili, meatloaf, stuffed peppers, etc.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu May 30, 2013 6:10 am

We have the grindables made into cheddar meat sticks, brats, ring bologna and jerky. I like to cook up steaks and put them in Zatarain's Jambalaya or Dirty Rice...pretty good and easy. Simply pan frying with mushrooms, onions, and salt/pepper is tasty. I love venison...I probably have some form of venison at least once a day.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 am

I cook most venison on the grill - after a 2 hour marinade of 1 cup of soy and 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce.
Grill at 300 deg. rare - med. rare.
Venison fat will coagulate quicker than beef, so be sure to have all sides ready before the meat goes on the grill. We often use baked beans and corn on the cob with buttermilk biscuits, or slice the venison thin and make a steak salad.

Nate

deke

Post by deke » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:59 am

We had this last year on a pheasant trip, and it was by far the best deer I have eaten.

1 packet of lipton onion soup mix
4 packets of soy sauce
1 deer roast
cut up carrots
halved baby red potatoes
1 onion cut up
Throw all that into the crock pot with a cup or two of water and turn it on before you head out hunting.

When you get back pull out the roast and split it in equal portions, along with veggies and potatoes. Take the juice from the crockpot and pour it over the whole dish.

This an awesome hunting meal, hardly any prep time, and most of it can be done at home. It quickly became our go to hunting camp meal, until we ran out of deer roast's :cry: