Large Mouth Bass?

Double Shot Banks

Large Mouth Bass?

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:26 am

Anyone like eating largemouth? I have heard they are good from multiple people, and not too good from others.
I usually let them go, because the fish are so fun to catch and i have some respect for them, noth "tossing" them back but letting them swim off and i guess never saw them as a eating fish. Is there a certain way to cook them different than coating in butter and frying in oil and butter?
Thanks
Isaac and Banks
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

diplomat019

Re: Large Mouth Bass?

Post by diplomat019 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:07 am

i have eaten them a few times. the best way i have had it is coated in egg and flour or corn meal and then fried.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:47 am

Fry them up like any other fish. Good eating. It's good to take the smaller ones out of ponds as they will over populate.

Preacher
Location: Strongs, MI (15 miles past the middle of nowhere), in da U.P. eh

Post by Preacher » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:35 pm

I grew up on them and love bass. It is a very clean tasting fish. My favorite way to eat is broiled fillets with butter and a dash of lemon juice.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:36 pm

We throw 99% back also. But the occasional battered and deep fried one tastes fine. Larry the cable guy batter and malt vinegar. White bass, crappie, perch and walleye are more prolific here. Glad to hear of your great respect for the black bass.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:11 pm

gotpointers wrote:We throw 99% back also. But the occasional battered and deep fried one tastes fine. Larry the cable guy batter and malt vinegar. White bass, crappie, perch and walleye are more prolific here. Glad to hear of your great respect for the black bass.

Yea i love yellow, and striped bass. walleye is my favorite. Although ive never had crappie or perch but i hear good things
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:
gotpointers wrote:We throw 99% back also. But the occasional battered and deep fried one tastes fine. Larry the cable guy batter and malt vinegar. White bass, crappie, perch and walleye are more prolific here. Glad to hear of your great respect for the black bass.

Yea i love yellow, and striped bass. walleye is my favorite. Although ive never had crappie or perch but i hear good things
Walleye and perch are pretty equal for me followed by cold water crappies (we don't eat them after May), goes down hill from there sunfish, northerns and digressing into bass. Salmon and Halibut along with some smoked fish are up there but I don't think I could compare them with the other species mentioned.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:45 pm

I am a strick catch and release fishermen, that being said....Bass are a good fish to eat, not on the top of many peoples list but not bad. We keep lots of them from our farm ponds to prevent stunting, we use kind of a slot limit concept to tell if its frying pan or freedom for them. Flour or Andy's fish batters are the way we fry most, give em a taste and enjoy.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"