BBQ Day

roaniecowpony

BBQ Day

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:44 pm

I got "volunteered" to bbq for my wife's family get together today. I was going to just do a little bit of ribs, but inadvertently over bought. So, I had to fire up the big locomotive around 6 this morning. It hadn't been run in a year, because I have a komado style Bubba Keg that I use for the two of us for most things. I did spare ribs 3-2-1 and they came out killer.

roaniecowpony

Re: BBQ Day

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:45 pm

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:58 pm

They look killer but i'm not sure the taste is there so if you will send the remainder to Ga I will put an official taste test on them .

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:44 pm

vols fan wrote:They look killer but i'm not sure the taste is there so if you will send the remainder to Ga I will put an official taste test on them .
I had a box I was gonna put them in to send you, but my wife ate test specimens.

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:51 pm

That's a heck of a firebox on that cooker! What brand is it? I don't think I've seen one quite like it?

The ribs look good!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Duckdog
These are pretty common in Texas. This one is an Old Country brand from Laredo TX.
http://www.bbquepits.com/

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:58 am

Yummy. I did 2 racks of baby backs and 2 pork butts, the ribs cook out faster so we use them as appetizers for all that hang around :) and help me place the fireworks tubes, we shot big guns here :) was 25 min long.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:41 pm

markj wrote:Yummy. I did 2 racks of baby backs and 2 pork butts, the ribs cook out faster so we use them as appetizers for all that hang around :) and help me place the fireworks tubes, we shot big guns here :) was 25 min long.
What temp and how long are you doing your butts? I've been doing butts around 275-300 the past year or so. That takes the typical butt down to 7-9 hr range depending on the exact temp and size of the butt.

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:54 pm

I did butts on the 4th too. Usually, I go all out...ribs, butts (pulled and sliced), brisket, chicken, and sometimes even burnt ends, but this year I kept it simple.
I had meat cooking at about 6:00am and we were eating at about 5:00pm.
About 45 minutes of that was the meat resting in a cooler.
It turned out excellent, and I was told several times that they were the best butts I'd ever done....and, I think I agree.
But, butts can be a crapshoot. A lot of it (IMO) depends on the hog.
I run about 225 degrees, and after about 5 hours-ish...I double wrap them in heavy duty foil.
They've had all the smoke they need by then anyway and it helps to keep 'em juicy!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:20 am

DD
Agree they pretty much max out on smoke around 140-150F. I like go au naturale (naked without foil) cause I like a good bark. I pull the pork and tray it add a broth with my rub for more seasoning and moisture, then resmoke it.

Most of the time I use my Bubba Keg for smoking or grilling. Its just easier for smaller quantities and since its insulated, I don't have to add charcoal much. I can run at 250f for 24 hrs with my Stoker keeping the temperature within a few degrees without adding fuel. Basically the same as a Big Green Egg or Primos or other ceramic komado grill/smokers except its insulated steel.

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:44 pm

I'd like to try one of those egg type cookers sometime. The only one I've seen for sale is the green egg and OH MY...they're proud of that baby!!! $$$$$$$
They have the option of a water pan don't they? If so, that would be the cat's azz for chicken. I've had several of the Brinkman vertical cookers and they had a water pan. GREAT for chicken, but that's about it. And, they don't last long in the elements.
My old Okie Joe holds the heat pretty well for a standard smoker. The old ones like mine were still built out of thick iron, not the 12 guage steel that they sell at Home Depot now.
Like I wrote earlier, I cooked for 11ish hours on the fourth and added charcoal once. That ain't all that bad.
My bro-in-law has a "Good One" cooker. I really like the design, especially for quantity and competition. You can cook a LOT of meat on that thing and it's extremely easy to regulate.
But,...I just don't cook enough anymore to justify something that big.

That's another reason I like the double foil wrap. If you wrap from the bottom to the top, then roll the top sealed,...when you open it up, you've got all that clean rub juice you can pour over the pork.
GOOD STUFF!

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:32 am

I know what you mean about the big $$$$ for the BGE and Primos. Even the current brand my keg is under, Broil King Keg, has them around $700-900. I picked up mine from HomeD when the closed them out a few years ago for around $200.

If you are a Costco member, they've been selling a decent looking ceramic BGE style komado for under $600.

With chicken I like to spatchcock them and use a little smoke.