Eating venison while pregnant

Beretta14

Eating venison while pregnant

Post by Beretta14 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:48 am

I have been trying to find research on whether or not eating venison while pregnant is safe. It'd rather talk to people who have had first hand experience with it. Have you (the female) or your wives eaten venison while pregnant?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Eating venison while pregnant

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:59 am

I haven't been pregnant but am completely mystified as to reasoning of why would it be a problem. Venison is just another meat and very much like beef in looks, taste, and nutritionally except it is lower in fat content.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:29 am

Since wild game is the staple meat in our household my wife ate lots of it through all her pregnancies. I can't imagine why anyone might consider it a problem. It is red meat. What is the reasoning behind this? Sounds like a PETA scare campaign or something.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:51 am

My grandma, my mom, my sister, my cousins, and several of my friends all ate venison when they were pregnant. I'm as baffled as anyone else as to why this could possibly be an issue. It's just meat and wild venison is probably a lot better for you than a bunch of hormone fed beef or pork.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:13 am

Protein levels are good, no added hormones or antibiotics. As long as the meat is well taken care of, I can't see any reason that it wouldn't be better than beef, pork or chicken (even if raised "organically" they still don't have the level of "safety" I'd ascribe to game meats). I wouldn't, and don't, eat meat that is along the path of the bullet - just prefer to stay away from any potential (even if it's small potential) lead ingestion.

Beretta14

Post by Beretta14 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:38 am

I completely agree with all of you and think it is a much better choice than the hormone/antibiotic induced meat that is on the market. I have read that it can contain toxoplasmosis which can lead to miscarriages. It's the same thing they tell you about cleaning the cats liter box. But, there isn't enought research out there to really confirm that so I wanted to hear other people that use venison as their food source. My decision has been to eat it when I get pregnant because I do think it is much MUCH HEALTHIER, I just get a little scared when I hear that stuff :-/ over paranoid I guess :-)

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:06 pm

Toxoplasmosis is a risk for pregnant moms. It is not any more likely in venison than in other red meats, but many people tend to under cook venison to keep in tender. Fully cook it to well done to be safe. And don't handle raw meat without thoroughly washing your hands. (as you already do, I am sure) I ate it often when I was pregnant but have always like my meat well done.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:09 pm

150 degrees is required to kill toxoplasmosis. That is not well done.
Just be sure your meat is cooked - no need to ruin it.

Country Guy2

Post by Country Guy2 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:54 pm

I would rather serve venison to my family over store bought meat any and every day of the week. There are 2 areas of concern to me though and that is, where the deer harvested feeds and the lack of information on CWD and how hard it is to determine if a deer is infected or in the early stages of the disease.???

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Country Guy2 wrote:I would rather serve venison to my family over store bought meat any and every day of the week. There are 2 areas of concern to me though and that is, where the deer harvested feeds and the lack of information on CWD and how hard it is to determine if a deer is infected or in the early stages of the disease.???
Deer are safe to eat even in a CWD area as long as you are just eating the meat. But all of the meat we eat is healthful whether it comes from the grocery store or something you harvest as long as you clean it properly. And I am sure most everybody does today.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

natel24

Post by natel24 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:29 pm

My wife carried both of our children full term with no issues and I don't allow beef in the house until we run out of venison from the previous season (which is usually never). I agree with the rest of the posts stating how it is better for you than commercially raised products. We also will eat road kill venison if found early enough, but thats another topic.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:33 pm

Our doctor said my wife had high iron levels in here blood. High being good as he said some women struggle with low iron. He "believed" this was due to the deer and elk that we eat a lot of. Said it was common in our part of the country due to similar eating habits. So, overall, he thought eating venison was a good thing for pregnant women.

Country Guy2

Post by Country Guy2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:03 am

ezzy333 wrote: Deer are safe to eat even in a CWD area as long as you are just eating the meat. But all of the meat we eat is healthful whether it comes from the grocery store or something you harvest as long as you clean it properly. And I am sure most everybody does today.
That's what I read too but If I knew the deer I shot had CWD I would never chance eating it nor would I ever serve it to my family. As far as all store bought meat being healthful, I must disagree with you. Organic free to roam grass and natural fed farm animals, yes, but corralled and fed grain and milled feed mixes along with regular antibiotic injections and other drugs used under non organic practices, no. Lets clean up our farming practices and make our food healthy for everyone and not just those better off who can afford it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Country Guy2 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: Deer are safe to eat even in a CWD area as long as you are just eating the meat. But all of the meat we eat is healthful whether it comes from the grocery store or something you harvest as long as you clean it properly. And I am sure most everybody does today.
That's what I read too but If I knew the deer I shot had CWD I would never chance eating it nor would I ever serve it to my family. As far as all store bought meat being healthful, I must disagree with you. Organic free to roam grass and natural fed farm animals, yes, but corralled and fed grain and milled feed mixes along with regular antibiotic injections and other drugs used under non organic practices, no. Lets clean up our farming practices and make our food healthy for everyone and not just those better off who can afford it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:20 pm

with regular antibiotic injections and other drugs used under non organic practices, no. Lets clean up our farming practices and make our food healthy for everyone and not just those better off who can afford it.
This statement is all I need to read to know you are repeating what you have read or heard and not reporting on what you know. That is not the facts in any way. Tell us what the difference is between organic and non-organic in beef feeding and also grain production.

Ezzy

Country Guy2

Post by Country Guy2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:This statement is all I need to read to know you are repeating what you have read or heard and not reporting on what you know. That is not the facts in any way. Tell us what the difference is between organic and non-organic in beef feeding and also grain production.Ezzy
Sure you want to go down this road, cows are not even indigenous to North America. Deer, Elk, Moose, and Buffalo are and can feed themselves without any grain mills, tractors or farmers to tag their ears. And their impact on the environment is not like that of the problematic cows. We don't even need the dairy products that causes so many health problems affecting so many Americans. Bottom line is, who needs cows? Nobody!!!

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:53 pm

I need cows

I like the ribeye cut
RARE of course!

Db

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Country Guy2 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:This statement is all I need to read to know you are repeating what you have read or heard and not reporting on what you know. That is not the facts in any way. Tell us what the difference is between organic and non-organic in beef feeding and also grain production.Ezzy
Sure you want to go down this road, cows are not even indigenous to North America. Deer, Elk, Moose, and Buffalo are and can feed themselves without any grain mills, tractors or farmers to tag their ears. And their impact on the environment is not like that of the problematic cows. We don't even need the dairy products that causes so many health problems affecting so many Americans. Bottom line is, who needs cows? Nobody!!!

And what does indigenous have to do with this discussion? Are you aware that the long horns were here and we brought over European animals that were bred to produce better beef and much more milk? Are you aware that the beef cows out west live out in the open just like the buffalo though they aren't as hardy and they lose some of them in a winter like we just had where they can get hay or feed to them. And of course we lose deer, moose. Elk, and other animals when the conditions get too bad. But most of them migrate to areas they can be fed in the winter. Now that we have learned about cows and milk, what does that have to do with organic and non-organic? You remind me of a fellow that was on here a few months ago that told us corn and wheat were the worst thing that ever happened and now we need to add the cows to the list, don't quite understand where you are coming from but you must have missed a few pages.

Ezzy

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Donnytpburge wrote:I need cows

I like the ribeye cut
RARE of course!

Db
Filet... Rare. I NEED cows, too.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Country Guy2 wrote:
Are you for real? If we eliminated all the cows and populated the countryside with enough Deer, Elk, Moose and Buffalo to supply red meat for everyone what do you think their impact on the environment would be? (hint - why did they push for the introduction of the wolf to Yellowstone Park)

Come back and tell us we don't need red meat.

Country Guy2

Post by Country Guy2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:05 pm

slistoe wrote:Are you for real? If we eliminated all the cows and populated the countryside with enough Deer, Elk, Moose and Buffalo to supply red meat for everyone what do you think their impact on the environment would be? (hint - why did they push for the introduction of the wolf to Yellowstone Park)Come back and tell us we don't need red meat.
Last I checked I was real. Clean streams, healthy pastures, and less truckloads of corn and feed shipped all over the country. Small amount of red meat is usually good for the diet especially from natural fed animals like deer. These same animals fed lots of Indians and early settlers well. You are taking a stand against an environment that was designed to support these cervids, not cows from foreign lands. How do you know what the impact would be, are you guessing or did someone try it? Its give me a home where the buffalo roam. Cows were not put here in N. America by nature.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:10 pm

I do have a little knowledge of this sort of thing, living in a place where cattle are a staple of the economy, raising some myself, and having an interest in such things - especially the environment. Here is what I know - it takes more pounds of feed to produce the same pounds of red meat when a cow is fed only grass. It takes more pounds of grass to create a pound of red meat if you are feeding a buffalo than a cow - ergo it takes significantly more pounds of feed for a pound of red meat if you compare buffalo to conventional commercial cattle. Since there really is no studies that I am aware of on the feed conversion rates of deer and elk etc. I don't really know for sure what it is like for them, but since they have not been commercially bred for feed conversion rates like cattle have I suspect they would not fare better than the buffalo.

So......It would seem logical to me that if you were to try and produce the same number of pounds of red meat to feed the populace using grass fed native game animals instead of commercial beef animals that you would incur a very significant increase in the requirement for forage, an item which is not in an overly abundant supply currently when we are trying to use it to feed beef cattle. So.... if you want to feed the country with native game animals you would incur an even greater cost to the environment than is currently being exacted on it by the beef industry.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:36 pm

Country Guy 2 has been banned permanently. The last couple of days I have notice the same pattern used in his posts and I found time tonight to do a little searching. Found the same IP was being used by both. Two identities is a no-no and especially when you were given a couple of weeks off. Too bad as he was scheduled to be back tomorrow.

Ezzy

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:40 am

Country Guy2 wrote:
slistoe wrote:Are you for real? If we eliminated all the cows and populated the countryside with enough Deer, Elk, Moose and Buffalo to supply red meat for everyone what do you think their impact on the environment would be? (hint - why did they push for the introduction of the wolf to Yellowstone Park)Come back and tell us we don't need red meat.
Last I checked I was real. Clean streams, healthy pastures, and less truckloads of corn and feed shipped all over the country. Small amount of red meat is usually good for the diet especially from natural fed animals like deer. These same animals fed lots of Indians and early settlers well. You are taking a stand against an environment that was designed to support these cervids, not cows from foreign lands. How do you know what the impact would be, are you guessing or did someone try it? Its give me a home where the buffalo roam. Cows were not put here in N. America by nature.
Neither were caucasians.............Cj