netting pigeons

magspa

netting pigeons

Post by magspa » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:07 pm

When yal do this at the over passes do you use a long net , like 15' or bring a ladder and climb to them? Are there other places to catch them roosting?

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: netting pigeons

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 pm

magspa wrote:When yal do this at the over passes do you use a long net , like 15' or bring a ladder and climb to them? Are there other places to catch them roosting?
I think that you do whatever is safest and you are most comfortable with.

think you just need to be observant when you are out driving around. Typical places are in city parks, barns etc. etc. When I was looking for shooters, I called around to local exterminators / pest control companies and they were somewhat helpful.

I know back in the day, in Phoenix, there was a service that was specifically in the pigeon removal business. Several trainers had a deal working where they would drop the pigeons off at the trainers house or kennel, put them in the trainers cages and leave a bill on their front door. They had a nice deal going, they would charge for the removal and charge for the delivery to the trainers.

ward myers

Post by ward myers » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:14 pm

I have used a pool skimmer handle with a crab net attached to the end, 2 person job u need a second person to blind them with a spot light

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:03 am

We have 2 or 3 places we pigeon pick that only require a 6 or 8 ft ladder. Our favorite spot we have been picking the last 2 years is an old restaurant/motel with a car port that the under side sheeting has mostly fallen off. The pigeons nest in the framing cavities making for easy picking. We go about 2 hours after dark with head lamps, net type laundry bag and a ladder...we just climb up blind them with the head lamp and grab them straight out of their roost. We work from one cavity to the other, very few birds fly away for some reason. Warning, wear a dust mask/ glasses because where they roost is full of dust, droppings and when they flap about you are apt to get a face full. Our second favorite place is the ole time small solid type corn cribs, if the lid has been left open pigeons will have surely found it for a roost. simply crawl up close the lid then go back down and enter thru the door. We always have a net in these things as they seem to stir a lot more and its easier. We never clean a place out, picking no more than prob. 1/4 of the birds at any one roost. This way they always seem to stick around and replenish for future pigeon picking. My niece from Atlanta was here when we made a run last summer and she thinks it has to be one of the most red neck things she has ever heard of! Pfff..city girl, should have showed her a good ole cow tipping!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:17 pm

The way I net pigeons, a ladder would equal a trip to the ER. :lol:
Fish net + broom handle (taken from push broom in garage) + duct tape = ideal solution.

Wyobohunter

netting pigeons

Post by Wyobohunter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Darn it! I just knew I should've kept at least one dipnet when I left Alaska. I bet that would've worked great.
Thanks for the dust mask/goggles tip.