Problem with pigeon eggs

mtlee

Problem with pigeon eggs

Post by mtlee » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Hello,

I've got 3 homers in a loft built from LCS plans http://www.lcsupply.com/Pigeon-Loft-Pla ... tinfo/PLP/

2 of them have paired up and the female has laid several eggs over the last few months (maybe 4?). She lays them in the middle of the loft, on the wire mesh and initially didn't seem to pay them much attention. After a week or so of not ever seeing her on them I would toss them, or sometimes they would be damaged and I'd toss them. She laid another one today and was sitting on it, still, in the middle of the loft. I have nesting boxes and I've put in hay/twigs/mulch for nest building materials but they don't seem to care and just end up throwing it around until it eventually falls through the cracks of the loft. The pair also fight with the 3rd bird around meal times and I'm sure this is how the eggs get damaged as they are sitting on the middle of the loft floor. I think the 3rd bird is a female, it's smaller and doesn't strut around or coo.

Any ideas on how to get them to use the nesting boxes? If I move the egg will she abandon it? Thanks.

-Matt

Fun dog

Re: Problem with pigeon eggs

Post by Fun dog » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:04 pm

No one ever said pigeons were smart.

Lucky Dog

Post by Lucky Dog » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Are you sure you have a pair?

Usually the male will "drive" the hen to the nest that he selects, it is part of the whole nesting process.

When I have hens drop eggs just any where, it us usually un paired hens or two hens that "appear" to be paired up.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:01 pm

I guess it could be 2 hens, I'm definitely no pro on pigeon sexing.
I came to the conclusion "it" was a male based on 3 things. It's much bigger than the other 2, it's aggressive, and it's constantly strutting around and cooing in the loft.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:31 am

How long have you had the birds in the loft? If recently introduced, it will take a while for your pair to feel comfortable enough in their new location to start nesting. From what I've experienced, moving pigeons from one loft to another (even mated pairs) the hens will lay whatever remaining eggs they have with no intent of sitting on them.

Jay
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:58 am

I've had them since Sept/Oct in that loft. Young birds at that time that had never flown.

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Put a nesting bowl on the floor, make a nest and put the egg's in the nest.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Meller wrote:Put a nesting bowl on the floor, make a nest and put the egg's in the nest.
This what I do. No use fighting them over it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Lucky Dog

Post by Lucky Dog » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:13 pm

mtlee wrote:I guess it could be 2 hens, I'm definitely no pro on pigeon sexing.
I came to the conclusion "it" was a male based on 3 things. It's much bigger than the other 2, it's aggressive, and it's constantly strutting around and cooing in the loft.

Sounds like a male to me. Are you sure that he is paired up with a hen and are you sure the paired hen is the one laying the eggs?

Like others suggested, try putting the nest bowl on the floor, and maybe try taking the third wheel out of the coop, sometimes three is a crowd.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:35 am

Thanks for the input guys. I got home early yesterday and had some scrap wood around so I built nesting box addition to the side of the loft. I put some hay in there and placed the egg in it. The male was in there with it yesterday afternoon. Didn't look this morning.

Lucky Dog,

I'm sure he's paired with the female that's been sitting on the egg (occasionally)...they're stuck together like glue. He'll even run the 3rd bird off if it gets near her.

We'll see how it goes.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:29 am

Maybe the egg just isn't ready to sit on. I don't see my birds sit on just one egg unless they shove one out themselves. They lay an egg and hang around but the second egg doesn't come for a day or two and then they sit on the nest. Some birds will get two and then not sit them. When I see that I normally take the two eggs out and let them start over. I think you need more birds in the loft. Maybe the extra bird is harassing the other's? it might need company. When I got my birds from a local racer I was just going to get a pair, he got me three pairs. Worked really well. All three pairs set several nest's the first year but, I've got about 30 in there now and I'm not getting 15 nest's. The nest's that are used are closed in. They do seem to like their privacy. I've had birds set nest's on the floor in a corner but not a lot. get a few more birds.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks for the help yall, I ended up adding a nesting box area on to the original loft. It seems to have done the trick. The female went right in and laid her eggs and she and her mate have been sitting on them regularly for about 2 weeks now. I also got another bird for the loner. Hopefully they will pair up. Now I guess I need to add another nesting box off the back. They do seem to like having their own space for nesting purposes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.